Spring Practice Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Second straight report with Robert Foster up front with Ridley for the WR's......*fingers crossed* that WHATEVER reasons made him casper the ghost last season are over. I really thought last year would be a breakout for him. It would awesome if he could fill the void left by Stewart.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I doubt we get any meaningful information until after the April 8th Scrimmage. The depth chart is going to be harder to predict than normal because of the large number and quality of early entrants. We have never had a freshman group like this for spring. Many of them are likely getting closer to the 1's with every rep. I'm concerned about having Diggs at DB. This guy was in the playing rotation last season at WR, it's actually to his benefit if he did switch to DB because their are way more jobs available in the NFL for DB than for WR. But I'm concerned that we might be taking a productive player in 2016 and making him a non productive player in 2017, but at the same time with our whiffing on Corner recruits last cycle It might be a life or death move for the 2018 squad to have another corner. Decisions Decisions....
You are aware that Diggs also had snaps on defense are you not? At this point they (the coaching staff) still seem to be trying to find where he best fits in.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Did CNS actually mention Foster recently? What did he say?
From al.com:

-- Saban on Robert Foster: "I think he's playing better than he did a year ago, and hopefully he will continue to improve and have a role on the team. I think we need for him to do that."

It's not a full-throated endorsement, but an improvement nonetheless.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We'll likely only get 2 more years out of Diggs. With the receiver group being stacked he'll be better off in the long run as a DB at both levels of his future.
I'm not sure. The depth at the two positions is very similar. Foster and Sims are gone after this season. Averett, Hootie, and Brown graduate, too. Then, we could possibly lose Ridley, Ronnie, and Minkah at their respective positions.

The 2018 WR corps would have Derek Kief (rsSR), TJ Simmons (JR), Jeudy, Shavers, Ruggs, and Smith (SO or rsFR). Chadarius Townsend was at WR the last two practices, so we can throw him in that group, too.

The 2018 secondary would have Deionte Thompson (rsJR), Aaron Robinson, Jared Mayden, Shy Carter (JRs), Nigel Knott (rsSO), Kyriq McDonald, Daniel Wright, and Xavier McKinney (SO or rsFR).

Obviously, we don't know what the 2018 recruiting class will bring. Get a JUCO or two at one of the positions, and things change.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm not sure. The depth at the two positions is very similar. Foster and Sims are gone after this season. Averett, Hootie, and Brown graduate, too. Then, we could possibly lose Ridley, Ronnie, and Minkah at their respective positions.

The 2018 WR corps would have Derek Kief (rsSR), TJ Simmons (JR), Jeudy, Shavers, Ruggs, and Smith (SO or rsFR). Chadarius Townsend was at WR the last two practices, so we can throw him in that group, too.

The 2018 secondary would have Deionte Thompson (rsJR), Aaron Robinson, Jared Mayden, Shy Carter (JRs), Nigel Knott (rsSO), Kyriq McDonald, Daniel Wright, and Xavier McKinney (SO or rsFR).

Obviously, we don't know what the 2018 recruiting class will bring. Get a JUCO or two at one of the positions, and things change.
If Diggs is anywhere near as good as his brother at WR then I hope that is where he ends up playing.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Second straight report with Robert Foster up front with Ridley for the WR's......*fingers crossed* that WHATEVER reasons made him casper the ghost last season are over. I really thought last year would be a breakout for him. It would awesome if he could fill the void left by Stewart.
My fingers are crossed that we get the ball to Ridley other than on jet sweeps. He was a non factor late in the year and OMG, we wasted OJ Howard pretty much his entire time.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I get the feeling that Robert Foster is going to be that veteran who was left for dead by the fans that becomes a reliable role player. I don't know if he'll ever be the star he was heading towards being in 2015 before the injury, but I could see him being the reliable set of hands to pair with Ridley until Jeudy gets comfortable.

Other part of Saban's comments recently: My reckon as it has been since signing day's tailback haul has been we're gonna run the ball relentlessly. Saban's frank acceptance that this tailback group is deep as it has been in his tenure reinforces that likelihood. I think it is more likely that this offense looks almost like a modern era wishbone offense (maybe not by personnel but by run/pass balance) than it is Daboll turns this team into a pro pass spread in 2017. We have too many tailbacks not to run relentlessly. We have the right kind of QB to just go RPO every single down basically creating a triple option on every play between the keep, give, and quick throw.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I get the feeling that Robert Foster is going to be that veteran who was left for dead by the fans that becomes a reliable role player. I don't know if he'll ever be the star he was heading towards being in 2015 before the injury, but I could see him being the reliable set of hands to pair with Ridley until Jeudy gets comfortable.

Other part of Saban's comments recently: My reckon as it has been since signing day's tailback haul has been we're gonna run the ball relentlessly. Saban's frank acceptance that this tailback group is deep as it has been in his tenure reinforces that likelihood. I think it is more likely that this offense looks almost like a modern era wishbone offense (maybe not by personnel but by run/pass balance) than it is Daboll turns this team into a pro pass spread in 2017. We have too many tailbacks not to run relentlessly. We have the right kind of QB to just go RPO every single down basically creating a triple option on every play between the keep, give, and quick throw.

I could also see us using two RBs on the field at once like we did with Kenyon. Bo played some WR early on in HS, and Jacobs did a really good job catching the ball last year. I could see us having D. Harris at RB and either of those guys out wide especially since our WR depth isn't what it has been in the past.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I could also see us using two RBs on the field at once like we did with Kenyon. Bo played some WR early on in HS, and Jacobs did a really good job catching the ball last year. I could see us having D. Harris at RB and either of those guys out wide especially since our WR depth isn't what it has been in the past.
I don't see that happening. If we do, It would be Townsend for that role. HE has been compared to Drake 2.0

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We've just got too many good backs not to do that some. We've got too many good backs and the right kind of QB so I expect to see run 65-70% of the time to be honest. The key is improving the passing game's effectiveness not increasing magnitude of passing plays. But there is probably a reason I'm a software developer and not an offensive coordinator.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We've just got too many good backs not to do that some. We've got too many good backs and the right kind of QB so I expect to see run 65-70% of the time to be honest. The key is improving the passing game's effectiveness not increasing magnitude of passing plays. But there is probably a reason I'm a software developer and not an offensive coordinator.
No way in Hades the offense is that run-heavy.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I kinda have this 60/40 pass/run feeling. Saban's comments and Daboll coming from a pass heavy system.

It's just gut, but I feel that way.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.