Spring Practice Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conference Updates, etc)

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We want to be the Patriots, which means we do everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree...we will run when we can and use the pass when teams stack the line. The threat of both is what makes an offense over the top dangerous. I would bet CNS aims at a 250/250 (yds running and passing), with 80 plays and a 40-20 TOP. I know that's pretty strong...but I think this offense can do that.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
No way in Hades the offense is that run-heavy.
Actually the run pass-run ration has been pretty much in that range the past three years under Kiffen. Just for laughs I looked up Saban's decade at Bama and came up with this:

YEAR % PASS RANK # TEAMS NCs
2007-2008 50.85 45 120
2008-2009 38.66 105 120
2009-2010 39.17 103 120 X
2010-2011 47.09 66 120
2011-2012 42.93 89 120 X
2012-2013 39.07 109 124 X
2013-2014 45.76 73 125
2014-2015 44.71 86 128
2015-2016 42.64 96 128 X
2016-2017 40.88 101 128

The bottom line appears to be that we've never come close to being a 60-40 pass to run team under Saban, the closest being his first year when Major Applewhite was the OC when the ration was pretty close to 50-50. Our natties came when we were pretty close to 60-40 run to pass for what it is worth.

Another interesting item is that Auburn under Malzahn was over 60-40 percent run-pass for the most part during his tenure. That's a casual observation, as I'm not an Auburn fan I'm not intending to dig up the numbers for his career at AU.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I probably got hyperbolic when saying "65-70% run" though. The closet we got to that were the first two years of McElwain when we had weaker quarterbacks and less depth at WR.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Actually the run pass-run ration has been pretty much in that range the past three years under Kiffen. Just for laughs I looked up Saban's decade at Bama and came up with this:

YEAR % PASSRANK# TEAMSNCs
2007-200850.85 45120
2008-200938.66 105 120
2009-201039.17 103 120 X
2010-201147.09 66120
2011-201242.93 89120 X
2012-201339.07 109 124 X
2013-201445.76 73125
2014-201544.71 86128
2015-201642.64 96128 X
2016-201740.88 101128

The bottom line appears to be that we've never come close to being a 60-40 pass to run team under Saban, the closest being his first year when Major Applewhite was the OC when the ration was pretty close to 50-50. Our natties came when we were pretty close to 60-40 run to pass for what it is worth.

Another interesting item is that Auburn under Malzahn was over 60-40 percent run-pass for the most part during his tenure. That's a casual observation, as I'm not an Auburn fan I'm not intending to dig up the numbers for his career at AU.

So we tend to average 60-40? And that's including runs when Saban called the dogs off.

Not surprising about Gus at all. His pass game has been fairly weak overall.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
We've just got too many good backs not to do that some. We've got too many good backs and the right kind of QB so I expect to see run 65-70% of the time to be honest. The key is improving the passing game's effectiveness not increasing magnitude of passing plays. But there is probably a reason I'm a software developer and not an offensive coordinator.
Generally the main times we've relied on the run close to that much is 1.) in tight defensive games where we want to play ball control. Our focus even before Kiffin came in has been to pass the ball to set up the run. or 2.) when we are deficient in the passing game. We have the talent on the WR/TE and QB side to where we can run pass plays successfully so number 2 won't come into factor unless it's a situation like number 1. I'm excited to see what Daboll does with the talent we have here. It may not be as dynamic as a Kiffin offense but I will believe it will be more efficient.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I get the feeling that Robert Foster is going to be that veteran who was left for dead by the fans that becomes a reliable role player. I don't know if he'll ever be the star he was heading towards being in 2015 before the injury, but I could see him being the reliable set of hands to pair with Ridley until Jeudy gets comfortable.

Other part of Saban's comments recently: My reckon as it has been since signing day's tailback haul has been we're gonna run the ball relentlessly. Saban's frank acceptance that this tailback group is deep as it has been in his tenure reinforces that likelihood. I think it is more likely that this offense looks almost like a modern era wishbone offense (maybe not by personnel but by run/pass balance) than it is Daboll turns this team into a pro pass spread in 2017. We have too many tailbacks not to run relentlessly. We have the right kind of QB to just go RPO every single down basically creating a triple option on every play between the keep, give, and quick throw.
Until the offensive line proves it can be dominant this won't happen.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I agree...we will run when we can and use the pass when teams stack the line. The threat of both is what makes an offense over the top dangerous. I would bet CNS aims at a 250/250 (yds running and passing), with 80 plays and a 40-20 TOP. I know that's pretty strong...but I think this offense can do that.
That's what I REALLY liked about the final 2 games of the 2015 season. All the talk was about stopping Heisman winner Derrick Henry (he still went for 2 TD's against Clemson) and if Jake Coker could beat them with his arm. He completely dissected Michigan State and was clutch in the Clemson game. That pass to Ardarius Stewart down the sideline that he threw while he was getting hit might be the unheralded clutch pass of the season, (might be). I think Hurts has that ability. When a team is dead set on stopping the run the coaching staff can feel comfortable enough to say, "Ok, let's drop bombs." That's the offense we've been able to boast since at least McCarron's 2nd season.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

I think you hit the nail on the head. There's been a lot of talk about the unbelievable corps of RB's in the backfield and how to utilize them all. But O-Line is probably the most un-settled position group going into Spring so it remains to be seen how good of a job they'll do creating opportunity for these RBs.

Now, let's have some real talk - with the amount of talent recruited for that O-Line I feel we can comfortably say that we will have a reasonable amount of success running the ball, no matter who ends up where on the line. We can get by in most situations based on pure athletic talent and that's thanks purely to Coach Saban on the recruiting trail. But will this O-Line be able to create scenarios like 2015's game against LSU when Henry went for 210 yards? Hard to say.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's what I REALLY liked about the final 2 games of the 2015 season. All the talk was about stopping Heisman winner Derrick Henry (he still went for 2 TD's against Clemson) and if Jake Coker could beat them with his arm. He completely dissected Michigan State and was clutch in the Clemson game. That pass to Ardarius Stewart down the sideline that he threw while he was getting hit might be the unheralded clutch pass of the season, (might be). I think Hurts has that ability. When a team is dead set on stopping the run the coaching staff can feel comfortable enough to say, "Ok, let's drop bombs." That's the offense we've been able to boast since at least McCarron's 2nd season.
Those bombs were passes that Coker could not hit early in the season - they were often closer to interceptions than receptions. By the end of the season he was as good at those passes as Sims was the year before. The growth of Coker and Henry through the season in 2015 was amazing to witness. IMO, Coker doesn't get enough credit for that championship.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think you hit the nail on the head. There's been a lot of talk about the unbelievable corps of RB's in the backfield and how to utilize them all. But O-Line is probably the most un-settled position group going into Spring so it remains to be seen how good of a job they'll do creating opportunity for these RBs.

Now, let's have some real talk - with the amount of talent recruited for that O-Line I feel we can comfortably say that we will have a reasonable amount of success running the ball, no matter who ends up where on the line. We can get by in most situations based on pure athletic talent and that's thanks purely to Coach Saban on the recruiting trail. But will this O-Line be able to create scenarios like 2015's game against LSU when Henry went for 210 yards? Hard to say.
I give Henry more credit for that than the o-line. He was impossible to tackle - he had the best stiff-arm that I have ever seen in college. And as much as I like Bo, he has not developed a stiff arm, so defenders get to his legs and bring him down. In other words, you are right - your o-line is critical in 2017.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Those bombs were passes that Coker could not hit early in the season - they were often closer to interceptions than receptions. By the end of the season he was as good at those passes as Sims was the year before. The growth of Coker and Henry through the season in 2015 was amazing to witness. IMO, Coker doesn't get enough credit for that championship.
He certainly did improve! And he'd have improved even further if he'd been allowed another offseason of development and year of eligibility. :wink:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I give Henry more credit for that than the o-line. He was impossible to tackle - he had the best stiff-arm that I have ever seen in college. And as much as I like Bo, he has not developed a stiff arm, so defenders get to his legs and bring him down. In other words, you are right - your o-line is critical in 2017.
Derrick Henry had 116 yards after contact in that game. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Generally the main times we've relied on the run close to that much is 1.) in tight defensive games where we want to play ball control. Our focus even before Kiffin came in has been to pass the ball to set up the run. or 2.) when we are deficient in the passing game. We have the talent on the WR/TE and QB side to where we can run pass plays successfully so number 2 won't come into factor unless it's a situation like number 1. I'm excited to see what Daboll does with the talent we have here. It may not be as dynamic as a Kiffin offense but I will believe it will be more efficient.
or when we have a pretty good lead and are trying to keep the clock running to get games over with.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Kiffin's offenses were "feast or famine."

We either lit up the scoreboard - and to be fair this happened more than not - but if we struggled we struggled mightly.

Hoping to see more consistency and ability to adjust during the course of the game to do things that will work enough to still move the chains and score points.

In our game against Clemson the multiple 3 and outs without getting first downs or having field goal drives proved detrimental in the end as our defense just ran out of gas.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
There is the factor that Brent Key is now the coach of the whole line. Last year he was the interior only which to me was a weird arrangement. His results at Central Florida appear to be above average but that's not the SEC. There was a good bit of instability on the line in 2016 with several re-arrangements early and chaos and turnover at right guard all season long. On the other hand the situation at right guard sort of showed that he was unwilling to allow under performing player to keep his job, which I am adamant about.

We have not been as dominant at the point of attack in the running game since the 2012 season. Granted that was an amazing line of veteran players but even before that season they were more aggressive blowing open holes. Recent lines seem to be a little better at pass protection however. I'm not sure if getting good at one means you get worse at the other.

A few seasons back an apposing fan once wrote after losing to Bama: (paraphrasing) "That's when I knew Alabama was about to start one of those Soul Killing drives". To me there is no better way to win a game than to methodically choke the life out of your opponent in the second half. The TV people hate it, but as a Bama fan, those are my favorite wins. They can have their shootouts, I want to see us beat people such that they can't even get back up to win the following week. I'm not sure that we have seen much of that in the last few years, not against good teams anyway, but I'm hoping this season we can get some of that back.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the split OL coach arrangement was more about 'crootin than coaching. Cristobal was too good of a recruiter to push out the door last year but Brent Key was too good of a hire for Saban to pass up. Willing to give Key the pass because it was truly an odd arrangement.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I think the split OL coach arrangement was more about 'crootin than coaching. Cristobal was too good of a recruiter to push out the door last year but Brent Key was too good of a hire for Saban to pass up. Willing to give Key the pass because it was truly an odd arrangement.
Ironically, it was the tackles who performed well, while the interior had serious problems. Of course personnel is the primary component and CMC had much better talent to work with. I hope Key is the answer.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When you have the best OT prospect in the 2017 draft at LT and the best OT prospect in the 2019 draft at RT, you look like a genius if you're worth a darn at your job. Key had the biggest uphill climb because we've had issues solidifying the guard positions the last few years. By the time we find someone, their eligibility counter is up. Maybe recruiting misses at OG? We've done well at OT and C but some of our targets there just haven't panned out.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

This is partially why I think Jacobs deserves more opportunities this year. I don't know if those touches will come from the running or passing game but his elusiveness in space is incredible. Felt like he made at least 1 guy miss every time he touched the ball in space.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.