ESPN cutting on air jobs in latest effort to stop the bleeding.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Some interesting chatter on this topic this morning on Twitter.

Cord-cutting came first - there's no doubt there.

The politics are an issue for some portion of the public - that much is true, and as much as Clay Travis is a tool, he's right to note that being a conservative or Republican at ESPN is a hush-hush matter.

ESPN is buying massive sums to sports leagues - pro and college - and viewers are helping foot the bill.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
ESPN is buying massive sums to sports leagues - pro and college - and viewers are helping foot the bill.
Think you meant "paying massive sums," but no matter - let's not forget ESPN covers the NCAA Largemouth Bass Fishing Championships! But, apropos your "hush-hush matter" reference, no retro airing of ABC's old bellcow, "The American Sportsman" which lies a-mouldering in its grave but ready for rebirth and moreover needing no viewers to help foot the tab for on-air talent. "In-heaven talent" (e.g. Paul William Bryant and Harry Lillis Crosby Jr.), maybe...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Fiber was successfully introduced in 1995 (used 2- 6' lengths per link) as a means of linking arcade video games (Sega Daytona). But this may be the exception to your argument.
TOSLINK or "fat fiber". Low speed stuff, with LED sources. Not laser diodes.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Here is my low cost solution to no ESPN or other cable football. I can watch the SEC game on CBS, Notre Dame on NBC, the other big games on ABC and FOX. I don't know what each network calls theirs but the internet sports sites show a football field with the downs and time left, first down markers, line of scrimmage and that kind of thing. I will load up several different games and watch the little football move up and down the field. It is not like watching the game but I can keep up with lots of games for free.

I have a friend who comes over sometimes and we sit and watch the little football fields while we drink coffee. It is kind of funny when you think of it.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
1. Do I wire the house with fiber optic cable? Or, should I rely on wireless devices?
2. Do I plan on using a satellite dish provider? (Never have...but they are cheaper.)
3. What's coming and how can I set my home up to be ahead of the curve -- without breaking the bank?
I'm not a cabling expert but I have a house under construction (we're moving in next month) and I tackled these same issues. I work from home every other week and am totally reliant on internet and technology in general. Fiber optic? No, it's really expensive and not really for residential. I wired every room with Cat 6 cable, in case I wanted to plug any device into a wired network connection, plus I put a Cat 6 outlet on every wall where I wanted a mounted TV. Yes, I could use wireless for the smart TVs but wired is going to give me a much more solid connection. I'm putting my router on a shelf in an open hallway upstairs, right next to the stairs. This should cover my upstairs and main level since signals travel better when going down. If I need a repeater to give better signal downstairs I can add later. Comcast is stupid expensive but their internet is the fastest I've seen. Unfortunately, my new home is not serviced by any cable company so I'm having to get my internet through AT&T (not U-Verse but the land line crap) so I'm going to be going from 100mbps down to around 25mpbs. I hate it but I have no choice. I'm also picking DirectTV because I can't get cable. It will save me some money since I'll have mobile phone, internet and TV all from AT&T but I still would prefer cable. Not ready to cut the cord yet, especially since my internet will blow, but I probably will to save money when I retire in around 5 years or so. I don't really need all those extra cable channels but I watch a lot of Golf Channel and the ESPNs and I feel like I work hard and deserve a few luxuries.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I just wanted to let y'all know that I'm not really feeling great about using the term "garbage people" yesterday. It is not the considered way of communicating that I'd like to hold myself to on here and even with friends and family. It was a much too deep of a cut and really only pointed at a very small subset of people that don't even exist in a significant number.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I didn't take offense, but I think it shows true character to revisit it, as most would have very easily just moved on. RTR

I just wanted to let y'all know that I'm not really feeling great about using the term "garbage people" yesterday. It is not the considered way of communicating that I'd like to hold myself to on here and even with friends and family. It was a much too deep of a cut and really only pointed at a very small subset of people that don't even exist in a significant number.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'm not a cabling expert but I have a house under construction (we're moving in next month) and I tackled these same issues. I work from home every other week and am totally reliant on internet and technology in general. Fiber optic? No, it's really expensive and not really for residential. I wired every room with Cat 6 cable, in case I wanted to plug any device into a wired network connection, plus I put a Cat 6 outlet on every wall where I wanted a mounted TV. Yes, I could use wireless for the smart TVs but wired is going to give me a much more solid connection. I'm putting my router on a shelf in an open hallway upstairs, right next to the stairs. This should cover my upstairs and main level since signals travel better when going down.
Uh..............I'm not so sure of that "better down than up" stuff.

Anyway.

Since you are going to plumb the house with LAN cable, might I suggest leaving a provision that you can connect a cable, from the upstairs router, to a hub, on the lower level. I think that has a better chance of being reliable.

Unfortunately, the future is all wireless. Too many new devices do not have the option of ANYTHING other than wireless. (Something that is really a bur, under the saddle, of us old "microwave cowboys" as we were called, back in the day.) So, yes, I would plumb the daylights out of a new build, but despite its superior reliability, it will be a dinosaur at some point.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
BTW, if you need internet connectivity in a room that currently is in a dead zone because it either has no cabled outlets or is in a wireless dead zone, you can use your home's existing copper wiring to do the job. You have copper run to many places in every room for electric outlets. Just buy an adapter, plug one end into your router and every outlet is a potential hotspot. You can plug either a wireless and/or ethernet adapter into any electrical outlet in your home to extend your network into every room.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks.

Talking about things that matter to us in a civil manner can be tough, especially on a faceless message board.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
rgw

I probably don't agree with you politically most of the time but I think you're a good person. You do have some very good takes. So, no sweat. ;-)

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
@cuda, agree with you 100%.

I'm going to reach here and guess that maybe someone mentioned up(load) and down(load) speeds being different at some point to dsp?

"Uh..............I'm not so sure of that "better down than up" stuff.

Anyway.

Since you are going to plumb the house with LAN cable, might I suggest leaving a provision that you can connect a cable, from the upstairs router, to a hub, on the lower level. I think that has a better chance of being reliable."

Unfortunately, the future is all wireless. Too many new devices do not have the option of ANYTHING other than wireless. (Something that is really a bur, under the saddle, of us old "microwave cowboys" as we were called, back in the day.) So, yes, I would plumb the daylights out of a new build, but despite its superior reliability, it will be a dinosaur at some point.[/QUOTE]

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I do not know what the term "garbage people" means but I assume it is not good. I did not know I was a "Deplorable Person" either till Hill called me one. When a person in power apologizes (without having to do so) it impresses me about that persons character. I am impressed.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I'm going to reach here and guess that maybe someone mentioned up(load) and down(load) speeds being different at some point to dsp?
No, he was talking about antenna orientation and possibly polarity. An antenna upstairs would, by his reckoning, do a better job of connecting to a downstairs antenna. As opposed to setting it up the other way.

Microwaves are directional, and line-of-sight. The typical router dipole antenna has a horizontal radiation pattern, that is centered, in the vertical plane, on its relative position.

The "hi-gain" ones narrow the beam. (IOW, "no free lunch".)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
No, he was talking about antenna orientation and possibly polarity. An antenna upstairs would, by his reckoning, do a better job of connecting to a downstairs antenna. As opposed to setting it up the other way.

Microwaves are directional, and line-of-sight. The typical router dipole antenna has a horizontal radiation pattern, that is centered, in the vertical plane, on its relative position.

The "hi-gain" ones narrow the beam. (IOW, "no free lunch".)
Can you tell me if I get a 32 db amplifier will it improve me over my 16 db that I have now? I live 50 miles from Huntsville and I get 54 and 19 really well. 48 and 31 are good some days and not so good other days. In fact, 48 is unwatchable at times.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Can you tell me if I get a 32 db amplifier will it improve me over my 16 db that I have now? I live 50 miles from Huntsville and I get 54 and 19 really well. 48 and 31 are good some days and not so good other days. In fact, 48 is unwatchable at times.
OMG you made me have a flashback to when I grew up in North Alabama, we were always turning the antenna to get channel 31 on saturday nites for the midnite science fiction show. We only had 19 31 48 and what ever pbs was. The more things change the more they remain the same.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
The harsh reality - you want to hear your world view reinforced. We all do. Like it or not, it is a part of the human condition. When we hear things that do the opposite, our mood is effected. We can't help it. Even if the programing is amazing, an interjection of a single item that argues against our world view upset us and impacts our viewing experience. This is science. I just wonder why so many media outlets have not caught on and made changes.

Or maybe they have. Because the opposite is also true - when we hear our world view parroted back to us, our mood is impacted in a positive way. We are likely to continue watching something that we really don't care for just because they are saying things that reinforce our world views.

That is why a certain type of people enjoy conservative programming while others enjoy progressive programming. Very few people enjoy both, or are able to even tolerate both. The show Hannity & Colmes was an interesting experiment in which both view points were offered. But viewers vacillated between feeling happy and angry while watching the show, depending on who was speaking, no matter what that person was saying. One was mentally labeled as a conservative and the other a progressive. So, depending on your world view, conservatives dismissed the views of Colmes and progressives the views of Hannity - even when they were espousing views that should have been well received by their opposites.

The human condition is very strange. None of us is as independent as we believe ourselves to be. We are all driven by external forces and internal biases which we neither see nor fight. For the most part, we just drift along - even those among us who believe themselves dedicated to "change".
There's a lot of good stuff here but I'd like to push back - let me sleep on it but I hope to find a little time tomrrow to respond. Thanks a lot.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
OMG you made me have a flashback to when I grew up in North Alabama, we were always turning the antenna to get channel 31 on saturday nites for the midnite science fiction show. We only had 19 31 48 and what ever pbs was. The more things change the more they remain the same.
Where I live I don't have to turn the antenna. When I try it, it doesn't help. But I assume a 32db would be better than a 16db. I don't know if that is true or not.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The harsh reality - you want to hear your world view reinforced. We all do. Like it or not, it is a part of the human condition. When we hear things that do the opposite, our mood is effected. We can't help it. Even if the programing is amazing, an interjection of a single item that argues against our world view upset us and impacts our viewing experience. This is science. I just wonder why so many media outlets have not caught on and made changes.

Or maybe they have. Because the opposite is also true - when we hear our world view parroted back to us, our mood is impacted in a positive way. We are likely to continue watching something that we really don't care for just because they are saying things that reinforce our world views.

That is why a certain type of people enjoy conservative programming while others enjoy progressive programming. Very few people enjoy both, or are able to even tolerate both. The show Hannity & Colmes was an interesting experiment in which both view points were offered. But viewers vacillated between feeling happy and angry while watching the show, depending on who was speaking, no matter what that person was saying. One was mentally labeled as a conservative and the other a progressive. So, depending on your world view, conservatives dismissed the views of Colmes and progressives the views of Hannity - even when they were espousing views that should have been well received by their opposites.

The human condition is very strange. None of us is as independent as we believe ourselves to be. We are all driven by external forces and internal biases which we neither see nor fight. For the most part, we just drift along - even those among us who believe themselves dedicated to "change".
There is also a generational world view, IMO. My wife is 25 years younger than I am. Her daughter is 45 years younger than I am. On a morality scale we differ greatly. What was wrong and sinful in my day is perfectly fine in the daughters society. My wife is kind of in between. This makes it tough on me because there are a couple of places I won't go.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.