ESPN cutting on air jobs in latest effort to stop the bleeding.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
4Q Basket Case you have hit on a big problem with most of us who cut the cord. The Freaking Nerve that they will pull bowl games and championship games because the state disagrees with a bathroom policy, a foreign trade policy, a foreign aid policy, etc., etc. is too much. Imagine Florida decided to add a "port tax" to foreign ships unloading foreign goods ..... and ESPN and NCAA pulling sporting events because of that. Why is it ESPN's place to run the world and tell the world what to think? That is some Freaking Nerve if you ask me and I RESENT IT to the point of giving up TV altogether and listing to Eli, if it come to that. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
My reason for not cutting the cord is simple. Mrs. Reb and her sis are into several weekly network shows. If I were to cut the cord and deprive them of watching those shows, my life would change dramatically for the worse. No thanks.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
:cool:If they would get back to the basics and show real sports programming and quit showing the national spelling bee and poker and things that don't remotely resemble a sport and for the sake of all sports loving fans QUIT ESPOUSING YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS NO MATTER WHAT SIDE OF THE COIN YOU"RE ON.
All I watch anymore are the live SPORTS events (college sports). Sports Center and all of these stupid opinion shows are just off the chain asinine.

And for the sake of all that is good about sports please hire some actual talent and stay away from the Danny Kannel's and Heather Dinich's and Joey Galloways of the world. And erase all vestiges of Skip Bayless and his types.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
:cool:If they would get back to the basics and show real sports programming and quit showing the national spelling bee and poker and things that don't remotely resemble a sport and for the sake of all sports loving fans QUIT ESPOUSING YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS NO MATTER WHAT SIDE OF THE COIN YOU"RE ON.
All I watch anymore are the live SPORTS events (college sports). Sports Center and all of these stupid opinion shows are just off the chain asinine.

And for the sake of all that is good about sports please hire some actual talent and stay away from the Danny Kannel's and Heather Dinich's and Joey Galloways of the world. And erase all vestiges of Skip Bayless and his types.
You seem to forget that up until the mid-90s, ESPN routinely aired curling, workout shows, old wrestling footage from the AWA (boring) and WCCW (amazing), and lots of other nonsense. Anyone remember Hot Summer Nights - boat racing and junk?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
You seem to forget that up until the mid-90s, ESPN routinely aired curling, workout shows, old wrestling footage from the AWA (boring) and WCCW (amazing), and lots of other nonsense. Anyone remember Hot Summer Nights - boat racing and junk?
How about Australian Rules Football and the CFL?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I actually enjoyed all of that stuff. They had a single channel - none of their sister networks existed - and they showed sports pretty much 24 hours/day. They had a single episode of SportsCenter every night, and it was amazing.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I actually enjoyed all of that stuff. They had a single channel - none of their sister networks existed - and they showed sports pretty much 24 hours/day. They had a single episode of SportsCenter every night, and it was amazing.
Exactly. They catered to sports fans, not viewers. They seem to have gotten away from sports fans and moved towards getting viewers and trying to hang on to casual sports fans and not have something for every diehard sports fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I don't have a problem with politics making their way into the talk and debate shows like PTI and Around the Horn except that it's obvious that all of these journos are obviously liberal Democrats. Find some other perspectives and you could have something really interesting.

What's really problematic - as I noted above with the issues with Field Yates - is the casual assumption of the left of center cultural consensus. It has plainly been unconsciously absorbed and for those of us who notice, it's a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What's really problematic - as I noted above with the issues with Field Yates - is the casual assumption of the left of center cultural consensus. It has plainly been unconsciously absorbed and for those of us who notice, it's a problem.
It is annoying, but I don't see it as a problem. It is what it is - media fields attract activists, and activists are generally progressive. It has always been true - it is just more obvious now given the number and types of media outlets in our society today. We feel bombarded because we are, but we are not bombarded because of any greater bias. We are bombarded because of the changes in the way that we exchange information today.

The positive - we are all far better educated today than we have ever been in human history. The negative - you cannot escape it without going completely off the grid.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
the casual assumption of the left of center cultural consensus.
ESPN was on a real streak last year, where it seemed like any far left type behavior was going to be praised on ESPN, and while one assumes some bias, is still kind of took me offguard. Take Colin Kaepernick, the refusing to respect to stand for the flag is one thing, and we do live in a free country. But, the cops as pig socks, the shirt with a guy who had all kinds of blood on his hands? Kaepernick became a far left stereotype essentially praising hatred of police and people who kill those who disagree with them, yet ESPN still ran piece after piece praising him for his brave actions. That reminded me of some other guy who went around saying that white people are the devil, and yet somehow it seems the entire media thinks he could do no wrong...

I don't want to take this too far into the political realm, though ESPN already did this for us. I think a lot of the issues is ESPN just tried to buy up all the sports real estate, and kind of over-extended themselves. It didn't help though that they turned off a lot of viewers by becoming the MSNBC of sports.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It is annoying, but I don't see it as a problem. It is what it is - media fields attract activists, and activists are generally progressive. It has always been true - it is just more obvious now given the number and types of media outlets in our society today. We feel bombarded because we are, but we are not bombarded because of any greater bias. We are bombarded because of the changes in the way that we exchange information today.

The positive - we are all far better educated today than we have ever been in human history. The negative - you cannot escape it without going completely off the grid.
Curt Schilling and Chris Broussard disagree.

Those are the two easiest examples of ESPN shutting down a not-so-progressive viewpoint. Can you think of a progressive viewpoint they have shut down? I honestly can't, but I could easily be forgetting something.

When an outlet shuts down/punishes one side while not doing anything to the other, people get annoyed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Curt Schilling and Chris Broussard disagree.

Those are the two easiest examples of ESPN shutting down a not-so-progressive viewpoint. Can you think of a progressive viewpoint they have shut down? I honestly can't, but I could easily be forgetting something.
Easy - Keith Olbermann. ESPN ran him off 20 years ago because he refused to leave his liberal attacks off of Sports Center.

People like Schilling and Olbermann get hired and fired every day because of what they say and how they say it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Easy - Keith Olbermann. ESPN ran him off 20 years ago because he refused to leave his liberal attacks off of Sports Center.

People like Schilling and Olbermann get hired and fired every day because of what they say and how they say it.
The same Keith Olbermann that was hired by ESPN in 2013?

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I do, and all of that resembles a sport more so than poker and the national spelling bee and the like.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I do, and all of that resembles a sport more so than poker and the national spelling bee and the like.
Yep, remember those days well and was an ardent fan as I loved the variety of offerings. Today though, I only watch ESPN or one of their sister channels if Alabama is competing in some sport. If I turn on the tube to watch sports, that is what I expect to see. If its politics, regardless of conservative or liberal, I'm turning it off on the spot. I watch the news channels or visit the web for my dose of politics thank you, if I tune to a sports channel I'm interested in sports, not the polictical maunderings of some quasi-literate ex-jock or or worse yet, jock sniffer.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.