ESPN cutting on air jobs in latest effort to stop the bleeding.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I don't have a problem with politics making their way into the talk and debate shows like PTI and Around the Horn except that it's obvious that all of these journos are obviously liberal Democrats. Find some other perspectives and you could have something really interesting.

What's really problematic - as I noted above with the issues with Field Yates - is the casual assumption of the left of center cultural consensus. It has plainly been unconsciously absorbed and for those of us who notice, it's a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would rather watch paint dry than watch ESPN's talk and debate shows.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Didn't they get rid of Olbermann again too?
He has been hired and fired many times. Always hired because of his intellect. Always fired because of his politics. Eventually he just can't help himself and goes too far. Fringe people do this (on both sides). They should get fired. You can say what you mean without demeaning others.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I know Olbermann was canned a second time, but he's also known as a horrible coworker.

Every SportsCenter host could come out in support of most left of center measures and no one would bat an eye. Come out in defense of the NC bathroom bill and it's a forced apology or a two-week vacation.

This is a good read, albeit from a right of center source:

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...dium=social&utm_content=progressive-activists

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
anybody play Streak for the Cash on ESPN fantasy? it has had a drastic change as well. Now they have added Emmy and Oscar picks and The Bachelor (seriously?) Election night they had picks there as well. There was even a bracket pool for The Bachelor.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I am surprised anyone thinks that ESPN is even-handed. They are far left on almost any issue they promote or comment on. Their political slant comes from the top, i.e., from Disney, and everyone at ESPN knows it.

IMO, they thought they had a captive audience and could force their agenda on the "ignorant, bigoted, religious, racist, etc. rubes" in their audience and help us see the light. While probably a small % have unsubscribed because of this, it has contributed to the overall lack of desire for ESPN and has likely pushed many who were equivocating on keeping cable over the edge. And among subscribers, it has probably caused the audience of many of their offerings to diminish. There are also many other sports viewing options now.

Again, IMO, it's their prerogative to express any political view they desire, (I actually kinda agree with a few things in moderation), and it's mine to tune out, disagree, unsubscribe, etc. I guess, ironically, the only question would be whether they are fulfilling their fiduciary responsibilities towards their stockholders. Their political agenda means a lot to Disney. They are willing to bleed; the question is how much. ESPN only contributes about 1/8 of Disney's total revenue, so they can absorb a lot.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean, I think it says something that ESPN could be seen as "far left"

They not calling for seizing the means of production or anything...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I was thinking about social issues. Yea, they probably don't comment much on economic philosophy. I'll rephrase it to "left" 😊. I don't keep up closely, but I'm unaware of any social issue where they take anything but a liberal stance, and they intimidate and suppress any opposing view via the threat of censure or job loss.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Yeah - far left is pretty much on point. Shows exactly how far left the left has moved in 20 years. Most of Bill Clinton's (who was left of center when in office) policies would be considered radical right now. It's the left that's driven discourse further and further to the left. Enough of that before we have to move to non-sports though...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
For the record, refusing to vote for Trump doesn't make you a "liberal." There are A LOT of reasons not to vote for a guy like that.

Did you actually read the article?

Sports media members surveyed did not like Donald Trump. Of the 51 respondents, 41 (80.4 percent) voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016. Just two respondents (3.9 percent) voted for Trump–lower than the percentage who voted for a third party (5.9 percent) or who did not vote (9.8 percent). Of the media members who voted for Clinton, 19 of the 41 cited voting against Trump as their primary reason for their vote.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Yes I did -- and everything you just quoted 100% supports my point.
all y'all missed the point entirely by focusing on how they voted. Look at how they stand on the issues.

Even before getting into the voting stats, the article states that the sports media self identified as 58% democrat. that is 27% points higher than the general population. Only 6% were republicans. That's 25% points lower than the general population.

On social issues, 77% of the media SELF identified as very liberal, while the general population result has 75% in the middle.

In the primary statistics, 48% preferred Clinton, while 24% preferred SANDERS who is much further left than Clinton. For those doing the math, that 72% (basically the same % that voted for Obama) with a stated preference for a far left candidate, and to someone's earlier point, 24% supporting a guy who would privatize production of many industries if he could.

net - the sports media, and media in general is completely out of touch and out of alignment with the general population, regardless of whether Trump was the candidate or not...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing is that regardless of how the public feels, the public "average" could be skewing towards wrong. I am strong supporter of socially liberal initiatives so long as they stay out of the homes and the temples. You know, don't infringe on reasonable personal and religious privacy...other than that, lets make the public world a commons fit for all different types of people.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
net - the sports media, and media in general is completely out of touch and out of alignment with the general population, regardless of whether Trump was the candidate or not...
Again, this has always been true. People go into media jobs for a reason. Most media members are progressive, and that has always been true. It is like saying that most members of clergy are conservative. It is a given, and it has nothing to do with "being out of touch" with anyone.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The thing is that regardless of how the public feels, the public "average" could be skewing towards wrong.
Surveys aren't perfect science, but they do provide a good insight on the population in question.

Again, this has always been true. People go into media jobs for a reason. Most media members are progressive, and that has always been true. It is like saying that most members of clergy are conservative. It is a given, and it has nothing to do with "being out of touch" with anyone.
And we've shown the media members who voice their conservative views or thoughts have faced punishment while the majority - if not all - liberal view points go without any punishment.

Seems a tad-bit wrong.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yes I did -- and everything you just quoted 100% supports my point.

So, what part of 80% did you miss? Where did anyone say if you didn't vote for Drumpf that made you a liberal?

Yes, I think most here know one can stay home, vote 3rd party, etc. I felt your remark was flippant.

I've said my peace.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It seems this thread is drifting into the lockdown mode. But I would like to sincerely thank all for allowing us to have a thirteen page thread discussing politics (on ESPN) without getting political. It can be done and again, thanks to all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.