ESPN cutting on air jobs in latest effort to stop the bleeding.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And we've shown the media members who voice their conservative views or thoughts have faced punishment while the majority - if not all - liberal view points go without any punishment.

Seems a tad-bit wrong.
I have no control over that so I won't apologize for it, but liberal clergy get lambasted within their own industry, so why should we not expect the same within an industry made up of progressives?

The reality - we may want to believe that we need not conform to have success, but that just isn't true. If you want to have success in your industry, you need to try and fit in. There are ways to be conservative and successful in the media - ask guys like Rush, Sean and the like - but it isn't easy.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have no control over that so I won't apologize for it, but liberal clergy get lambasted within their own industry, so why should we not expect the same within an industry made up of progressives?

The reality - we may want to believe that we need not conform to have success, but that just isn't true. If you want to have success in your industry, you need to try and fit in. There are ways to be conservative and successful in the media - ask guys like Rush, Sean and the like - but it isn't easy.
You're a smart guy. I suspect you can see the difference in Rush Limbaugh being conservative and being successful and a guy like John Buccigross (just using SportsCenter anchor, no clue if Bucci is conservative or not) being conservative, making his views known and still being successful.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You're a smart guy. I suspect you can see the difference in Rush Limbaugh being conservative and being successful and a guy like John Buccigross (just using SportsCenter anchor, no clue if Bucci is conservative or not) being conservative, making his views known and still being successful.
Too true. In reality, I have a sense that more ESPN analysts are conservative than are letting on. But their management team is very, very progressive. And people on the fringe simply have no appetite for opposing views. So many are simply biting their tongues to continue their very profitable careers.

Actions have consequences, as we all know. We don't always agree with the consequences, but you can't avoid them once you open your mouth. Guys like Schilling know the "rules". They get fired because they decide that they are willing to accept the consequences. I don't feel bad when guys like Schilling or Olbermann get fired. I am more concerned when someone says something in a harmless way that is misinterpreted (often on purpose because of someone else's agenda) and political correctness forces them out of a job.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The thing is that regardless of how the public feels, the public "average" could be skewing towards wrong. I am strong supporter of socially liberal initiatives so long as they stay out of the homes and the temples. You know, don't infringe on reasonable personal and religious privacy...other than that, lets make the public world a commons fit for all different types of people.
Well now that's the crux of the debate isn't it. Who get's to define what "wrong" is?

With many of the social issues of our time, it's mostly a matter of opinion or feeling, unless there is an underlying religious precept at the core. In that sense, you can't define it as "wrong" and neither could I, at least not as individuals, so if a large majority are "average" in a belief system and the sports media is outside of that, it's really the media which are out of line with mainstream and not the opposite.

This is the danger of moral relativism, and why many feel it's best if the government, especially the federal government, stays out of moral debates and policies and not try to define what's "wrong" unless it's physically damaging to others.

Most people apparently feel the same way about journalists as a broad category, likely because most don't truly have depth or experience in the subjects they try to cover and why most journo's stray away from real analysis (or when they try they fail - my stats professor at UA used to bring in the USA today and NYT and show us examples of what not to do in analysis and stats and he had new material in every class from that days paper. He'd tell us if we ever did work that poor he'd walk us out of the class) and more toward social issues which can't be quantified and even then they typically do a horrible job with anything related to analysis/numbers/facts. This is even more true for sports journo's when they wander outside of the realm of the sports they should be covering.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is the danger of moral relativism, and why many feel it's best if the government, especially the federal government, stays out of moral debates and policies and not try to define what's "wrong" unless it's physically damaging to others.
The term "moral relativism" has become a smear term. Moral relativism is real, and as long as we have 2 people, we will have moral relativism, because those two people will have different points of view. Moral relativism isn't bad - it simply is. Two bright people of high integrity can view the same thing and come to different opinions about what it means to them.

No one, government or otherwise, should presume to impose their morals on others. Sadly, few behave this way.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The term "moral relativism" has become a smear term. Moral relativism is real, and as long as we have 2 people, we will have moral relativism, because those two people will have different points of view. Moral relativism isn't bad - it simply is. Two bright people of high integrity can view the same thing and come to different opinions about what it means to them.

No one, government or otherwise, should presume to impose their morals on others. Sadly, few behave this way.
The topic of moral relativism and if it's good or bad is a longer, more detailed philosophical discussion we probably can't have here, but we absolutely share the same conclusion that government/businesses/media/individuals shouldn't be in the business of imposing moral standards (again, with the exception of actions that cause direct physical harm to people or property).

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Any word on which personalities are on the chopping block?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
net - the sports media, and media in general is completely out of touch and out of alignment with the general population, regardless of whether Trump was the candidate or not...
True, but if we can be frank so is the college educated population in general (which obviously comprises all of the media in question.)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Any word on which personalities are on the chopping block?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
No, but I remember several years ago when ESPN did a game or two with no announcers. They showed the game like always but we listened to the PA announcer instead of the ESPN crew. It took a bit of getting used to but I could live with it if it cut my bill in half.

I have muted the sound before on games and just watched. The graphics are on screen so I really don't need anyone to tell me "third and four" or "the clock is about to run out". But the drawback with that is there is not crowd noise, which takes away from the atmosphere. With the PA announcer there was crowd noise.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The MWC is considering dropping their TV contracts and moving to streaming. Will it work?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-sports-cord-cutting-mountain-west-conference
I really wish they'd do this, the ESPN partnership with these joke conferences is odd anyway. They're basically saying, we really want to air your games, but no one cares about your games so can we please air them at odd times? On one hand it's treating the conferences like crap and on the other it's basically conceding that no one really cares and they are just filling up dead air.

The thing is, ESPN went too far, they tried to own too much of the college football landscape. The truth is if I pay for ESPN, I pay to watch power conference games, they could lose all the other conference games and what would it matter to me? I'd think it would be ESPN backing out of these relationships to be honest...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It would be good for the fans of those teams as they could play at 1:30 on Saturday afternoons like God intended instead of playing late at night or during the week.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.