The rowboat has run aground (Minn recruiting violations)

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Minnesota will self-report a recruiting violation. Coach Fleck has also flipped several Western Michigan players to Minnesota, which was legal. But I question whether a Big 10 school is better off with MAC talent than without MAC talent. If I were a Minnesota fan I would be wondering why we raid the Sun Belt and MAC. Minnesota finished 9-4 and won a bowl game, for goodness sake. I question the wisdom rowing downstream. :conf2:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/3/8/14854080/pj-fleck-ncaa-violation-minnesota

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is one of the few "minor" recruiting violations that I actually get...coaches shouldn't leave a place then poach them without the player engaging the contact to determine interest from the coach at their new job.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Western Michigan darn near upset Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl last year, and was undefeated otherwise. I'd bet they would have beaten Minnesota pretty badly had they faced one another.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Minnesota will self-report a recruiting violation. Coach Fleck has also flipped several Western Michigan players to Minnesota, which was legal. But I question whether a Big 10 school is better off with MAC talent than without MAC talent. If I were a Minnesota fan I would be wondering why we raid the Sun Belt and MAC. Minnesota finished 9-4 and won a bowl game, for goodness sake. I question the wisdom rowing downstream. :conf2:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/3/8/14854080/pj-fleck-ncaa-violation-minnesota
The link you give says he's possibly contacted several but only one has announced he's leaving WMU. If several players do leave WMU and go to Minnesota, you might have a legit concern. If it's only one or two, I don't think Minnesota fans should worry.

Besides, you're talking about guys that know how PJ works. They can help bring the culture that he built at WMU while also knowing the system he wants to run.

And like previously mentioned, WMU probably beats Minnesota last year if they played.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The link you give says he's possibly contacted several but only one has announced he's leaving WMU. If several players do leave WMU and go to Minnesota, you might have a legit concern. If it's only one or two, I don't think Minnesota fans should worry.

Besides, you're talking about guys that know how PJ works. They can help bring the culture that he built at WMU while also knowing the system he wants to run.

And like previously mentioned, WMU probably beats Minnesota last year if they played.
I would have put some excerpts for the article but for some reason sbnation won't let me copy anything. I can't highlight.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Western Michigan darn near upset Wisconsin in the Cotton Bowl last year, and was undefeated otherwise. I'd bet they would have beaten Minnesota pretty badly had they faced one another.
That could be but I was looking at Minnesota. It is one thing to play C Michigan, E Michigan, Ball State and N Illinois with MAC recruits. This year Fleck swaps C Michigan and E Michigan for Michigan and Michigan State. Were I a Minnesota fan I would have wanted some B1G recruits to play the B1G schedule.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That could be but I was looking at Minnesota. It is one thing to play C Michigan, E Michigan, Ball State and N Illinois with MAC recruits. This year Fleck swaps C Michigan and E Michigan for Michigan and Michigan State. Were I a Minnesota fan I would have wanted some B1G recruits to play the B1G schedule.
I hear you. All I am saying is, if he could bring in the caliber of player he had at WMU last season, it would be an upgrade of what he currently has at Minnesota. Ohio State standards? Certainly not. But like I said, it was enough to take Wisconsin to the brink in the Cotton Bowl in what was a very good game.. not the kind of "letdown" effort you might would expect from a Wisconsin having to "settle" for a WMU in a bowl game.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I hear you. All I am saying is, if he could bring in the caliber of player he had at WMU last season, it would be an upgrade of what he currently has at Minnesota. Ohio State standards? Certainly not. But like I said, it was enough to take Wisconsin to the brink in the Cotton Bowl in what was a very good game.. not the kind of "letdown" effort you might would expect from a Wisconsin having to "settle" for a WMU in a bowl game.
I get what you are saying too. That was a good game.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Right now Minnesota should be focused more on developing the right culture. Hopefully the new coach and the players he brings in will help. This is the school that nearly forfeited a bowl game back in December when the players revolted when 10 of their teammates were suspended amid sexual assault allegations. And one year before that, the AD had to resign after admitting he had a drinking problem which led to sexually harassing his female colleagues. It has not been a good two year stretch for the university.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
If I remember James Franklin took several players from Vandy to Penn State. That really didn't sit too well with Vandy fans but it could be an indication of how run down Penn State has gotten from their sanctions.
P.J. Fleck seems to be a really good motivator and looks like he may be a good coach. I look for him to do well at Minnesota.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.