Wikileaks dumps massive CIA treasure trove of cyber attack tools

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
SSID Broadcast: Yes please.

Although I actually do broadcast mine at home and just rely on access control restricting connections to approved MAC address. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Which can be cloned.

Frankly, disabling the SSID broadcast is also not a guaranteed method of keeping people off your wifi. I guess it's akin to having a deadbolt on your front door instead of not locking it at all. If criminals want in, they are going to get in.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
SSID Broadcast: Yes please.

Although I actually do broadcast mine at home and just rely on access control restricting connections to approved MAC address. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have 3 wifi networks in my house. 1 for the wife and kids and guest access for their friends, 1 for me, and 1 for work. All have different levels of security and only the wife/kid one is broadcasting its SSID

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Which can be cloned.

Frankly, disabling the SSID broadcast is also not a guaranteed method of keeping people off your wifi. I guess it's akin to having a deadbolt on your front door instead of not locking it at all. If criminals want in, they are going to get in.
Yeah, wifi sniffers can find my network even when it doesn't broadcast. Nothing is perfect. But you're right, I may as well turn off broadcasting since I already need to log into my router when a friend comes over and wants to connect for the first time. The convenience gap already exists, so it's silly not add a touch more security at no real cost.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...silicon-valley-response-cia-russia?CMP=twt_gu

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s pledge to help Silicon Valley technology companies patch the bugs outlined in leaked CIA files has been met with skepticism from the security community.

Assange said he would contact technology companies to privately supply technical details of the hacking techniques and security vulnerabilities that were redacted from the cache of classified documents released to the public.

“We have decided to work with them, to give them some exclusive access to some of the technical details we have, so that fixes can be pushed out,” Assange said in a news conference streamed from the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where he has claimed diplomatic asylum since 2012.

But members of the security community have dismissed Assange’s hyperbole around the CIA files – collectively nicknamed “Vault 7” – which he described as “exceptional from a political, legal and forensic perspective”.

Ryan Kalember, SVP of Cybersecurity Strategy at Proofpoint, disagreed.

“There’s nothing earth-shattering,” he said, pointing out that many of the operating systems mentioned in the documents are quite old and have already been updated.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.