USAToday has Florida picked No. 22

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's way early to even speculate anything, but I will make one observation that I think all would probably agree with---
Florida State does not want to be ranked number one playing a number two ranked Bama in the first game of the season.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Arkansas underachieves based on their recruiting average? They typically don't recruit as well as the other six West teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't break down the conferences by divisions, but still it holds up. Arkansas has averaged 6th in the West but finished 7th over five years. In the SEC Arkansas has averaged 10th but finished 12th. So some underachievement there.

Preseason rankings are just one of the things I love about College Football. I know many hate them, but not me. Some rank by gut feeling. Some by a stat system. Some by another stat system. Some just to get "clicked". Some rank by returning starters and some use combinations of all the above. I like to discuss the various systems and tinker around hoping to find that Magic formula to get it right.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's way early to even speculate anything, but I will make one observation that I think all would probably agree with---
Florida State does not want to be ranked number one playing a number two ranked Bama in the first game of the season.
Alabama is going to play with a chip on its shoulder because Alabama is coming off the loss to Clemson. Alabama will be focused. But Alabama is going to be favored in this game, and Alabama is Alabama, so FSU is also going to be focused.

Two well coached teams with months to prepare for a monster game to start the season. I give the edge to Alabama on coaching, but to FSU for their returning starters. It will be a great game to watch.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Agree, thy have an easy schedule, but they also return no one from the team that made a run last year, and they don't have the depth to reload like Alabama or OSU can. They will be very young next year.
Oh, I'm not saying they will have a good season because of an easy schedule. I'm saying it would be worse with Iowa, Nebraska, and Northwestern on the schedule. I have them losing to UF, PSU, Indiana, Wisconsin, and, of course, tOSU. :biggrin:

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
I am going to go against the grain here. I think Coach Mac may have a warm seat right now. He has not delivered the past two years. I know he has made the SECCG, but he did so more by default than anything. The SEC East has been comprised of a bunch of teams who didn't want to win the division and did whatever it took to make sure that it did not happen. Should UGA step it up and dominate the SEC E, look for UF to make a change.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Florida:

Michigan (Dallas) L
Northern Colorado W
Tennessee W
@Kent W
Vandy W
LSU L
aTm L
UGA L
@ Mizzou W
@USCe L
UAB W
FSU L

I have them a 6-6. I just don't see Mac having a good team. I would say his luck is going to run out this year, and the winner of the UF-UT game could be fighting for bowl eligibility.

I really see the east as

1. UGA
2. USCe
3. UF
4. Vandy
5. Kentucky
6. UT
7. Mizzou

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I am going to go against the grain here. I think Coach Mac may have a warm seat right now. He has not delivered the past two years. I know he has made the SECCG, but he did so more by default than anything. The SEC East has been comprised of a bunch of teams who didn't want to win the division and did whatever it took to make sure that it did not happen. Should UGA step it up and dominate the SEC E, look for UF to make a change.
I agree with you. the truth is that Mac has benefited from UT and UGA being down, and even then his teams have struggled mightily down the stretch.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
----snip----I think Coach Mac may have a warm seat right now. He has not delivered the past two years. I know he has made the SECCG, but he did so more by default than anything. ----snip----
"Default"? :conf2:

Let's review.....

Here's how Florida fared under their previous head coach, Will Muschamp:

2011 - Florida's first losing conference record (3-5) since 1979
2012 - Florida lost to Georgia (did not score a single TD) and thus lost the SEC East title, despite an 11-2 record that year
2013 - Florida's first losing season (4-8) since 1979
2014 - 4-4 in the conference and 7-5 overall - (Coach Boom gets canned)

Given the above perspective....I don't understand how anyone could possibly think Coach Mac's seat is warm - or will be warm this upcoming season.

----snip----I just don't see Mac having a good team. I would say his luck is going to run out this year, ----snip----
I have a feeling when you talk about "luck running out"....you're not referencing his bad luck of losing his starting QB in each of his last two seasons....

And still winning the SEC East both seasons.

Heck...I would LOVE to see that luck run out! :biggrin2:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Florida, under Coach Mac, has everything in place right now except the QB position.

That doesn't guarantee they will win another SEC East title.

It doesn't guarantee anything actually.

But given the ridiculous amount of talent on the team right now plus the improvements made on the coaching staff, i wouldn't bet against them.

Sorry if I speak through O&B glasses but that's really and truly how I see it, based on all the reports and info I see every week along with what they have done the past 2 seasons considering injuries and other misc. handicaps.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
"Default"? :conf2:

Let's review.....

Here's how Florida fared under their previous head coach, Will Muschamp:

2011 - Florida's first losing conference record (3-5) since 1979
2012 - Florida lost to Georgia (did not score a single TD) and thus lost the SEC East title, despite an 11-2 record that year
2013 - Florida's first losing season (4-8) since 1979
2014 - 4-4 in the conference and 7-5 overall - (Coach Boom gets canned)

Given the above perspective....I don't understand how anyone could possibly think Coach Mac's seat is warm - or will be warm this upcoming season.

I have a feeling when you talk about "luck running out"....you're not referencing his bad luck of losing his starting QB in each of his last two seasons....

And still winning the SEC East both seasons.

Heck...I would LOVE to see that luck run out! :biggrin2:
You can't deny that UF has escaped some games because of the other team shooting themselves in the foot the last two years. I'm just not sold on Mac and it mostly deals with his offensive philosophy and his poor recruiting. Poor being by UF standards. Mush and Zook did better in recruiting. I could be wrong, but I think when mushchamp's defense is totally gone then so is Mac's success story.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
----snip----I could be wrong, but I think when mushchamp's defense is totally gone then so is Mac's success story.
You do realize that with all the injuries Florida had last season, they were playing a majority of freshmen and sophomores that Mac recruited.

That is a factor many don't take into consideration when making "predictions" of Florida. Those players who acted as replacements got immeasurable experience under fire.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You do realize that with all the injuries Florida had last season, they were playing a majority of freshmen and sophomores that Mac recruited.

That is a factor many don't take into consideration when making "predictions" of Florida. Those players who acted as replacements got immeasurable experience under fire.
Maybe but he hasn't had a great recruiting season since he's been in Florida, and I'm not too sure that mush couldn't be in Atlanta under the same circumstances . I've always felt that the only either fired mush A year to early our year too late

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Maybe but he hasn't had a great recruiting season since he's been in Florida, and I'm not too sure that mush couldn't be in Atlanta under the same circumstances . I've always felt that the only either fired mush A year to early our year too late
I wonder just what it would take to convince you that MAC is a good HC? Have you looked at Colorado State the few years before MAC and then at Colorado State after MAC? MAC took a loser and turned them around. Georgia was the hands down favorite to win the EAST in MAC's first year and Tennessee was hands down favorite to win the EAST last year ...... but MAC won it both times. That seems impressive to me.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Ohio State has EIGHT 5 stars and EIGHTY 4 stars on their team.
Michigan has FIVE 5 stars and SIXTY-THREE 4 stars on their team.

Iowa has ONE 5 stars and TWO 4 stars.
Wisconsin has ZERO 5 stars and ELEVEN 4 stars.
Nebraska has ZERO 5 stars and TWENTY-THREE 4 stars.
N'western has ZERO 5 stars and SIX 4 stars.

I don't see any team from the B1G WEST winning the title unless PSU and OSU go back on probation and are not allowed to go. Michigan is finally out from under Rich Rod and "Hogeaboom" and I just can't see a team of three stars beating all those four stars, not to even mention the five stars.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
While I agree that our recruiting could improve, IMHO in no way is it so bad that it warrants discussion relating to Coach Mac's seat being warm. In fact, we finished very well this year in our recruiting class and most feel it's our best finish yet under Coach Mac.

The bottom line (as we all know) is winning games and there's no way anyone can dispute that Coach Mac has done that, regardless of anyone's interpretation of how it was accomplished.

Florida still has a ways to go to get back into the national title hunt, but I believe progress is being made on many levels.

In the immortal words of a very highly respected head coach....it's a process!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that Florida's weakness on offense the last few years has been along the offensive line. Sure, they have lacked good QB play, but whoever they have thrown back there has been destroyed - hit on almost every play. Fix that, with their tremendous defensive play, they can only get better.

As far as Mac having a "warm" seat right now - every coach has a warm seat other than a select few. Not because they should, but because fans and boosters are idiots. Mac's only failure the last 2 seasons is a failure to beat the best team in the country both years in the SECCG. In every other way, he has exceeded expectations at FL - or, should I say, reasonable expectations.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I wonder just what it would take to convince you that MAC is a good HC? Have you looked at Colorado State the few years before MAC and then at Colorado State after MAC? MAC took a loser and turned them around. Georgia was the hands down favorite to win the EAST in MAC's first year and Tennessee was hands down favorite to win the EAST last year ...... but MAC won it both times. That seems impressive to me.
In the context of the time, it's not so impressive. Mac may well be a VERY good coach. I'll say he's 'decent' at this point.

But look a little closer (and this is 81's point):

He beat a 5-7 UK team by only 14-9.
Tennessee collapsed in the final minutes and gave UF a game they'd been dominated in early.
He beat 4-8 Vandy, 9-7
He needed overtime - I repeat, OVERTIME....to beat Florida Atlantic

He was 2-3 against teams with double digit wins, losing two blowouts where his team scored a total of nine points.

Scraped by UMASS
Collapsed with a huge halftime lead against Butch Jones
Beat 6-7 Vandy by 7
Got creamed by a mediocre Arky team
Beat LSU due to some lousy play calling by LSU
Once again got manhandled by both FSU AND Alabama

He was 0-2 against ten-win teams, with two blowout losses, making him 2-5 vs double-digit winning teams.

He's 19-8 and with just a play going the other way in the one score games he'd be 13-14.

Indeed, without the natural talent Florida gets due to their name, he's probably worse than that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.