USAToday has Florida picked No. 22

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Sources: Gators, Malik Zaire have mutual interest

Florida's quarterback race could have a new contender after the spring, with the Gators looking to add another arm to the mix via transfer.

Malik Zaire, a Notre Dame graduate transfer, has become a major target for the Gators, sources informed 247Sports.com. Zaire announced his plan to transfer in November but has yet to settle on a destination. Florida feels confident it can land him.

One of the hangups for Zaire is an SEC rule on graduate transfers that Florida needs overturned by the league to be able to take him.

The conference requires graduate transfers to hit certain academic benchmarks once they arrive at their new school in the SEC. If they don't, the school that took those graduate transfers becomes restricted from taking graduate transfers for the next three years.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for your post, RTR91.....I had not seen that.

As far as I know, we still don't have a clear indication of who our starter will be next season. There's some talk of redshirt freshman Felipe Franks as having a slight separation ahead of the other redshirt freshman, Kyle Trask. And LDR at some point should be recovered enough from his surgeries to play. And we have the freshman recruit Toney, who is supposed to be more of a wildcat option, but the kid can run like a scalded cat and throw pretty good too, so I don't know.

We need someone.....:rolleye2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know that this is a Gator thread, but it appears that Richt is tearing it up in recruiting at Miami right now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How so, B1G?
I know that it's early, but they have the #1 ranked class right now. Lingard and Sitkowski are going to be great. Jobe, Hightower and Pope are also players that any team in America would love to have.

They won't finish #1, but they could easily end up with a better class than FSU or FL.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They won't finish #1, but they could easily end up with a better class than FSU or FL.
Not to pour salt on the wound but they could finisher higher than UF, but not FSU. The biggest problem with Miami is their facilities, lack of fan base, and the lack of an on campus stadium.

The 2 biggest reasons they can finish higher than UF are

1) Mac's inability to recruit at a Florida level
2)All the other lesser Florida coaches are far and away better recruiters than Mac. You have Strong, Kiffin, Davis, and Frost. Mac could very well lose key 3 stars to these guys

Why they won't be ahead of FSU

1) Jimbo is an elite recruiter
2) FSU has great facilities, large fanbase, and an on campus stadium. ***Note*** UF does too
3) Jimbo has a rock solid recruiting pipeline

While Richt has them going at an alarming pace, I still see Miami a work in progress. It is probably year 3 or 4 in which we should know about MR. But I think they will most likely be below both UF and FSU in recruiting,but I can easily see them above UF but highly doubt FSU.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Not to pour salt on the wound but they could finisher higher than UF, but not FSU. The biggest problem with Miami is their facilities, lack of fan base, and the lack of an on campus stadium.

2)All the other lesser Florida coaches are far and away better recruiters than Mac. You have Strong, Kiffin, Davis, and Frost. Mac could very well lose key 3 stars to these guys

2) FSU has great facilities, large fanbase, and an on campus stadium. ***Note*** UF does too

While Richt has them going at an alarming pace, I still see Miami a work in progress. It is probably year 3 or 4 in which we should know about MR. But I think they will most likely be below both UF and FSU in recruiting,but I can easily see them above UF but highly doubt FSU.
Indeed, Miami has been on a downward recruiting trend since 2006, averaging a #15 class. Before 2006 they averaged a #6 class. So they are already on Mac's level. If MR can get them back to top ten classes without the upgrades you mentioned it will be outstanding on his part.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Indeed, Miami has been on a downward recruiting trend since 2006, averaging a #15 class. Before 2006 they averaged a #6 class. So they are already on Mac's level. If MR can get them back to top ten classes without the upgrades you mentioned it will be outstanding on his part.
I'm having a hard time seeing an average of 15 since 2006, unless the two top 10 finishes in that time period. They have mostly been in the high 20's since 2006. They have had as bad as #32.

But to the Richt=Mac recruiting point... I would say having Miami at #11 in his first real recruiting class after two previous 20 or worse recruiting classes at Miami is more impressive. Richt also has a better history than Mac, but it's a little too soon, but he is a better recruiter right now. And then you get into the the lesser coaches in Florida being better recruiters historically than Mac.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I'm having a hard time seeing an average of 15 since 2006, unless the two top 10 finishes in that time period. They have mostly been in the high 20's since 2006. They have had as bad as #32.

But to the Richt=Mac recruiting point... I would say having Miami at #11 in his first real recruiting class after two previous 20 or worse recruiting classes at Miami is more impressive. Richt also has a better history than Mac, but it's a little too soon, but he is a better recruiter right now. And then you get into the the lesser coaches in Florida being better recruiters historically than Mac.
This data is from a spreadsheet I have kept for several years. I have Miami with this recruiting classes from 24/7 sports from 2006 thru 2017: 14, 12, 2, 16, 14, 33, 10, 14, 12, 26, 21 & 13. This is an average of 15.5. Richt is an interesting study. I don't remember the details but he mostly underachieved at Georgia and I wonder if he can at least win up to his recruiting classes at Miami. I personally think he got burned out at Georgia and now he has new fire.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I won't argue about the facilities, but Richt is the real deal as a recruiter. With Saban out of his back yard, he is going to do very well. The only question - can he ever win the big game?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This data is from a spreadsheet I have kept for several years. I have Miami with this recruiting classes from 24/7 sports from 2006 thru 2017: 14, 12, 2, 16, 14, 33, 10, 14, 12, 26, 21 & 13. This is an average of 15.5. Richt is an interesting study. I don't remember the details but he mostly underachieved at Georgia and I wonder if he can at least win up to his recruiting classes at Miami. I personally think he got burned out at Georgia and now he has new fire.
Rivals are far less kind to Miami so it really is what metric you choose, but Richt getting them to 11 (13 by yours) is still a major accomplishment from being in the 20's the two years prior.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
A report from Gator Bait suggests the Gators are eyeing Zaire (former Notre Dame QB) as a potential transfer target, but the school must receive some help from the SEC office. That is because Florida has had two transfer players (Anthony Harrell and Mason Halter) fail to meet certain academic requirements upon arrival at Florida. As a result of taking transfer players failing to meet certain requirements, Florida is ineligible from accepting graduate transfers for three years.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...rested-in-notre-dame-transfer-qb-malik-zaire/

Interesting. I did not know about the transfer academic rule.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Rivals are far less kind to Miami so it really is what metric you choose, but Richt getting them to 11 (13 by yours) is still a major accomplishment from being in the 20's the two years prior.
247Composite is the best since it averages all the rankings. Each company seems to use their own metric, so the average works best.
A report from Gator Bait suggests the Gators are eyeing Zaire (former Notre Dame QB) as a potential transfer target, but the school must receive some help from the SEC office. That is because Florida has had two transfer players (Anthony Harrell and Mason Halter) fail to meet certain academic requirements upon arrival at Florida. As a result of taking transfer players failing to meet certain requirements, Florida is ineligible from accepting graduate transfers for three years.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...rested-in-notre-dame-transfer-qb-malik-zaire/

Interesting. I did not know about the transfer academic rule.
Posted it earlier. Mac still doesn't have his QB on campus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Hey guys.....

Coach Mac is saying at the end of this week, we should know more about Florida's QB situation.

You can go to the 5:30 mark to hear him comment more on that question.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Update for those interested. We had our Spring game with a total of 4 QB's playing in various combinations of 1's and 2's on offense and defense. Franks played better than Trask but Toney (an EE, who is a dual threat QB) provided (IMHO) more excitement with some decent passes and some nice scrambles which yielded both respectable yardage and points.

There is no clear indicator as of yet who will be the anointed one, but there is separation, so that is good.

On top of all that......the possibility still exists for Zaire to join the team.

Transferring Notre Dame QB Malik Zaire shows Gators love with Instagram follows

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.