Link: WV can't keep up with funerals due drug over doses

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I wonder if the decline of the coal industry has anything to do with it.
im sure it does and it has been in decline for a long time. i used to kayak the gauley river every year and remember walking up from the river at the take out and smelling the meth labs. this would have been in 98 or 99.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Darwin doing work.
with a little help

http://www.businessinsider.com/purdue-pharma-oxycontin-prescriptions-opioid-epidemic-2016-10

The warning signs of what would become a deadly opioid epidemic emerged in early 2001. That's when officials of the state employee health plan in West Virginia noticed a surge in deaths attributed to oxycodone, the active ingredient in the painkiller OxyContin.

They quickly decided to do something about it: OxyContin prescriptions would require prior authorization. It was a way to ensure that only people who genuinely needed the painkiller could get it and that people abusing opioids could not.

But an investigation by STAT has found that Purdue Pharma, the manufacturer of OxyContin, thwarted the state's plan by paying a middleman, known as a pharmacy benefits manager, to prevent insurers from limiting prescriptions of the drug.

The financial quid pro quo between the painkiller maker and the pharmacy benefits manager, Merck Medco, came to light in West Virginia court records unsealed by a state judge at the request of STAT, and in interviews with people familiar with the arrangement.

"We were screaming at the wall," said Tom Susman, who headed the state's public employee insurance agency in the early 2000s and led the push to limit OxyContin prescribing in West Virginia.

"We saw it coming," he said of the opioid epidemic, which today causes 28,000 overdose deaths a year in the United States. "Now to see the aftermath is the most frustrating thing I have ever seen."

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Yeah, there were similar rumblings in Alabama around then as well. Seigelman was trying to call big pharm to task, but the AL GOP laughed it off as an attempt to divert attention from his ethics trial.

Sent from my LG G3

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It's a good thing all this crap is just as illegal as carrying a gun to a school...

Not everyone knows that the government pushed providers to treat patients "adequately" for pain, saying that patients had a "right" to these treatments, even to the point of forcing hospitals to survey patients about the adequacy of their pain relief and tying payments to those hospitals to those patient surveys. IOW, the government, in collusion with some bad actors in big pharma, caused many people to become addicted to opioids by way of becoming a bullying drug pusher with the power of the state to punish nonconformists.

Then the government quickly began to crack down on prescription opioids and heroine use, overdose, and deaths became rampant. So when government pulled the other way they caused many of the opioid addicts they created to turn to illicit alternatives that wound up killing them.

And now they are really overreacting while missing entirely that they created the crisis from beginning to end, to the point that now they want to set a specific number of days opioids should be written and restrict to only certain conditions seen as worthy enough but really are the ones with the best lobbyist and.or garner the most sympathy like end of life and cancer patients. Nevermind that people's pain does not respond to guidelines or that even people who don't have a big lobby to help garner public sympathy also have pain. Nevermind that a broken bone can often hurt far beyond 3 or even 7 days. IOW, innocent people experiencing real pain are essentially being forced to endure pain (some might say "punished") because some people abuse drugs, the government pushed doctors to prescribe them and created more addicts, and then the government forced people off prescription drugs which pushed them toward illicit drugs with no way of knowing what they were actually getting.

I sure hope we never follow the lead of Portugal, which one of the lowest drug overdose death rates in the world since completely decriminalizing drugs.

People are dying in large part because they have no idea what they are getting. A new more potent or tainted strain hits the streets and people drop like flies. Assure quality of the supply and many fewer people die. Period.

Or is it more about sanctimony than the sanctity of life?

The whole thing is terrible. Addiction is terrible. People being undertreated is terrible. People dying is horrific. The government making it worse coming and going is enraging.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Obamacare includes treatment for drug addiction. Paul Ryan's plan does not. Lot of truth in NT16's post above.

But why should I be forced to buy a plan that covers it?

Back in the day..................

Professional organizations were able to offer "group plan" rates, to folks who belonged to it. Since a lot of the members were "consultants" (a lot of time a fancy word for unemployed engineers)(contrasted to what API grads call "President of my own engineering firm"), and were sole operators, or only employed a skeleton office staff, it was a way for those of us who no longer worked for the military industrial complex to get insurance, without going broke.

Of course, it was what used to be called "hospitalization", in the days before "major medical", that became "health care". Or, more properly, a catastrophic policy. Which was good enough, for most of us. (Especially those who could not get a plan, on our own, because we may have been treated for cancer, at some point in the last 25 years.) But, no......................we are TOO STUPID to know we don't have good plan, and Notzy Pelosi is going to give us a good plan.

That was never offered, since the company that provided our plan declined to offer a gubbament approved one.

Great. Come up with some subsidized garbage, that might cover 20 M or so alleged "uninsured". And screw over around 200 M or so, that were doing ok. (And are now worse off.)

Yeah, that makes sense.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Sadly, I had an aunt that overdosed. It was found that she died of a morphine overdose, but she started out taking pain pills. What's sad was she had been in rehab and was clean for several years and was an RN. The last time I saw her was on Christmas Eve 2015 and immediately told the rest of my family that if something didn't change, she was going to be dead soon. Six months later she was. She had stolen money from my grandfather, who had dementia, to help pay for her addiction.

It's a nasty problem facing people in this society, and I have seen first hand the effects of it. It sucks.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
It's a nasty problem facing people in this society, and I have seen first hand the effects of it. It sucks.
Even when they don't OD, the toll is steep. We have my two sons because their mother got hooked on drugs; she had two more kids after losing the boys, and has since relapsed, and now those two children are in foster care.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Thats how insurance works

No, it isn't. It only works that way when you only have one choice, mandated by some bureaucratic fascist twit.

So, using your logic, every home/fire insurance policy is identical. As are car insurance policies.

Same deductible, same coverage (you don't get to pick between liability and liability/comprehensive), which means you have to take the one and only plan offered.

Bet you wouldn't like that, would you?

Unless you enjoy living in some comm'nist country. Which you might.

Do you want to pay higher car insurance premiums for younger drivers, who like some of us were, in our youth, accident prone? No, they get stuck with higher premiums, which taper off, once they reach a certain age, and can demonstrate they can operate a motor vehicle.

Yeah, I get the concept of risk pools. I get stuck paying higher rates, for my house, in the Dallas area, because folks in Houston get hit with hurricanes, and folks in the West Texas and Wichita Falls get hit with tornadoes. They get stuck with paying for my hail damage. That is how insurance works. Not sticking me with the same deductible and level of coverage, everyone else has. The customer has CHOICES. Something some of you people don't want us to have.

Except for causes that you deem to be important.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
No, it isn't. It only works that way when you only have one choice, mandated by some bureaucratic fascist twit.

So, using your logic, every home/fire insurance policy is identical. As are car insurance policies.

Same deductible, same coverage (you don't get to pick between liability and liability/comprehensive), which means you have to take the one and only plan offered.

Bet you wouldn't like that, would you?

Unless you enjoy living in some comm'nist country. Which you might.

Do you want to pay higher car insurance premiums for younger drivers, who like some of us were, in our youth, accident prone? No, they get stuck with higher premiums, which taper off, once they reach a certain age, and can demonstrate they can operate a motor vehicle.

Yeah, I get the concept of risk pools. I get stuck paying higher rates, for my house, in the Dallas area, because folks in Houston get hit with hurricanes, and folks in the West Texas and Wichita Falls get hit with tornadoes. They get stuck with paying for my hail damage. That is how insurance works. Not sticking me with the same deductible and level of coverage, everyone else has. The customer has CHOICES. Something some of you people don't want us to have.

Except for causes that you deem to be important.
Every place that I have worked charges the employee the same amount regardless of gender or age.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.