USC now owns largest loss ever of a team finishing in top 5

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would rather my team lose by 40 than lose in heart breaking fashion. The loss still counts the same, but it is a lot easier to get past a blowout loss than a heart breaker.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I would rather my team lose by 40 than lose in heart breaking fashion. The loss still counts the same, but it is a lot easier to get past a blowout loss than a heart breaker.
While I understand the emotional aspect of this, logically I can't agree. Logically, I want my favorite team to be as good as possible, and that means keeping games close. That's why Saban is so great, he has a team that doesn't have those sort of off days like many teams do. That means, they basically just have to get fairly unlucky to lose. So, close losses suck, but really blowouts are way worse...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd rather lose knowing we gave it our all and were in the game than lose and wonder if the team even cared or was prepared.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i wouldn't. however weird, one of the few "positive" things i could take away from the shula era is that we were never blown out (iirc, we never lost by more than 11).

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
i wouldn't. however weird, one of the few "positive" things i could take away from the shula era is that we were never blown out (iirc, we never lost by more than 11).
Hate to burst that bubble. Sadly, there were some games lost by more than 11. I remember 'cause I was at a bunch of them.

lost 23-37 @ Georgia
lost 28-43 @ Ole Miss
lost 3-27 to LSU
lost 10-27 @ Arkansas
lost 3-20 to S. Carolina
lost 10-26 @ LSU
lost 13-28 @ Florida
lost 14-28 @ LSU

Just change the memory to "we only lost a couple of games by more than 2 touchdowns." :)
Sorry to remind everyone of those losses.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
You just had to remind us......................:biggrin2:

(Some of us are still trying to erase it from our memory.)

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'd rather lose knowing we gave it our all and were in the game than lose and wonder if the team even cared or was prepared.
You can give it your all and get crushed. Sometimes the other team is just that much better. Just ask Alabama's opponents.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It's hard for me to say I'd 'rather' get blown out....but I get where you're coming from.

*Usually* when a good team gets annihilated by another good team it's because the winner was just flat better. The exception being when the losing team had some ridiculous misfortune with turnovers and implodes. So you just shrug your shoulders and tip your hat.

But when it's a tight back and forth contest and your team barely....barely...loses the game. Man that's brutal. It stings and you nit-pick every little detail about the game trying to figure out HOW you might or should have won.

Pretty much what a lot of us have done since Jan. I admit I'm still not fully over the NCG.

Thankfully though (Even in going through the somewhat recent dark times pre-CNS) we haven't been seriously pummeled ourselves really since about 1998. We lost a couple games that year by 30+ points. Other than that most all of our losses have been fairly 'competitive'.

Clobbering USC was pretty enjoyable though and I LOVED when Oregon massacred that FSU team led by Crablegs. Seeing that Texas is #1 in this category also brings a smile to my face.

Oh and 4 of those 5 embarrassing Texas Losses were under Mack Brown:biggrin: !!!!!

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
You can give it your all and get crushed. Sometimes the other team is just that much better. Just ask Alabama's opponents.
I think that just makes 91's point stronger. If you are a crappy team and get blown out by bama,so what. but be a crappy team and still keep it close against bama, you can enjoy that game for what it is. If you are a good team and get blown out by bama you are embarrassed like ND in the championship game, where they were crying afterwards just to say they didn't really get blown off the field even though their coach had conceded in the halftime interview. 100% of the time I want my team either winning big or in the game until the end, whether we are favored or not. Never want to us lose a blowout. I even prefer to lose the championship game due to a last second illegal pick play than to be blown off the field. And it's not even close.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In the famous words of Coach Bryant, "What the hell is wrong with you? Do you not take your football serious?!"

Yeah, you can give it your all and still get blown out. That's when you're not a good team. I still preferred the close losses under Mike Shula than when we got blown out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Hate to burst that bubble. Sadly, there were some games lost by more than 11. I remember 'cause I was at a bunch of them.

lost 23-37 @ Georgia
lost 28-43 @ Ole Miss
lost 3-27 to LSU
lost 10-27 @ Arkansas
lost 3-20 to S. Carolina
lost 10-26 @ LSU
lost 13-28 @ Florida
lost 14-28 @ LSU

Just change the memory to "we only lost a couple of games by more than 2 touchdowns." :)
Sorry to remind everyone of those losses.
thanks, i must have been remembering the barn games of that time. football wise, i wasn't in a great place, i was grasping for anything :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I get what B1G is saying, and I guess it depends on the circumstance.

"They were that much better than us" is actually sort of easy to take if it's obvious the team gave its all. It's a lot easier to live with than "if only X had happened." If Clemson had beaten us by 30 points, they 'overrated' folks would have had a point. They didn't and the teams were literally one play apart this past year.

Still hurts a bit, but it would hurt more if we hadn't won so many in recent years.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Now you know what my every single day of life is like....

:)

:)
While my memory was never in your league, it was very good, by "mortal human" standards.

Between insomnia and aging, it is now like Swiss cheese. (Translation: full of holes.)

Just wish that one particular memory would fade away, along with a some other ones.

And essential ones, like "Did I take my stupid thyroid pill today?" remain intact. :biggrin2:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.