USC now owns largest loss ever of a team finishing in top 5

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The Crimson Tide did exactly what Coach Saban prepared them to do & what he preaches to them..

"You Play Fast, You Play Strong, You Go Out There Dominate The Man You Playing Against & Make His A** Quit"

That win against USCw was a victory of Tide Pride & the pure domination of the absolute strongest entity in the history of college football that's simply called "The Process" by us Bama Fans..This video still gives me goose bumps of Tide Pride every time I watch it..

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, one of the most amazing records in sports is that Bama has not given up 50 points in reg since 1907 - 110 years. UT scored 21 in reg, then 30 more in 5 OTs in the excruciating "4th and 19" 2003 loss.

Though 92t got the details wrong, I agree with the essence that though Bama was frequently overmatched during the Shula era, they always played as tough as they could and kept the score respectable.

To echo the sentiment of others, I would also rather lose a close one than a blowout, though I understand the other view.

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The Crimson Tide did exactly what Coach Saban prepared them to do & what he preaches to them..

"You Play Fast, You Play Strong, You Go Out There Dominate The Man You Playing Against & Make His A** Quit"

That win against USCw was a victory of Tide Pride & the pure domination of the absolute strongest entity in the history of college football that's simply called "The Process" by us Bama Fans..This video still gives me goose bumps of Tide Pride every time I watch it..

Great way to get my day started!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
The thing that still stands out in my mind about the USC game was how on fire and seemingly ready they were for us at the beginning of the game. This was a good team that got hit in the mouth and just collapsed. I really think it had been a long time since USC faced a team as physical as this Bama team was.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
You can give it your all and get crushed. Sometimes the other team is just that much better. Just ask Alabama's opponents.
That 31-0 loss to Clemson was a shock to me especially since OSU looked good against Oklahoma early in the season. Buckeyes just lost any mojo they had going down the stretch. I can't understand it. For me, during a game, I can handle a blowout loss simply because the mental energy is spent (during the game really) and you've begun to grieve a lot sooner. What bothers me about our game is that we really had that game won until the last few seconds. I think I'm over it now but I didn't get over it until about a month after the game when I sat and thought about it really intensely. I still won't watch it though. I never watch our losses after the fact.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That 31-0 loss to Clemson was a shock to me especially since OSU looked good against Oklahoma early in the season. Buckeyes just lost any mojo they had going down the stretch. I can't understand it. For me, during a game, I can handle a blowout loss simply because the mental energy is spent (during the game really) and you've begun to grieve a lot sooner. What bothers me about our game is that we really had that game won until the last few seconds. I think I'm over it now but I didn't get over it until about a month after the game when I sat and thought about it really intensely. I still won't watch it though. I never watch our losses after the fact.
I think that we knew, much like Alabama, that if we were forced to pass that we were going to struggle in that game. The difference - we didn't have all of the other amazing athletes on offense that you guys did. We lost too many players to the NFL the year before. The OSU loss was a lot easier on me than the Alabama loss. I was totally over the loss by the end of the game. Clemson was clearly better. No second guessing. Move on to next season.

The Alabama loss still has me waking up thinking "if only". It made me better understand how Georgia must have felt in 2012, and how Clemson must have felt the in January of 2016. Totally heart wrenching loss that sticks with you.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i wouldn't. however weird, one of the few "positive" things i could take away from the shula era is that we were never blown out (iirc, we never lost by more than 11).
I'm not going to pick on you for the details. I think what you're sort of saying is this - SO MANY of the losses in the Shula era were games where we were really up against it with a poor coach and crippled by sanctions.....and we lost so many of those games in the final minutes, many times on the final play.

Lost to N Illinois on a bizarre two-point play return
Lost to OU (#1 most of the year) primarily due to a fake punt
Lost to Arky on an inexcusable officiating call (though we did collapse from up 31-10)
Lost to Tenn in five overtimes
Lost to a decent Auburn team by one play

Lost to the Vols by one play - this after Brodie was out for the year, and he could have made a difference
Lost to LSU thanks in large part to a 14-point swing on a botched officiating call
Lost to Minnesota by four in a game we just never got going

Lost to LSU in overtime in a game we could have won with just a bit of luck

Lost to Arky in large part due to Tiffin's missed kicks
Lost to Florida when JPW threw a pick six on a potential winning drive
Lost to Vols by a single play
Lost to a much better Auburn team on a single play
Lost to Okie State on the last play of the game

The irony is that if Shula wins even half of those games, we don't get Saban.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not going to pick on you for the details. I think what you're sort of saying is this - SO MANY of the losses in the Shula era were games where we were really up against it with a poor coach and crippled by sanctions.....and we lost so many of those games in the final minutes, many times on the final play.

Lost to N Illinois on a bizarre two-point play return
Lost to OU (#1 most of the year) primarily due to a fake punt
Lost to Arky on an inexcusable officiating call (though we did collapse from up 31-10)
Lost to Tenn in five overtimes
Lost to a decent Auburn team by one play

Lost to the Vols by one play - this after Brodie was out for the year, and he could have made a difference
Lost to LSU thanks in large part to a 14-point swing on a botched officiating call
Lost to Minnesota by four in a game we just never got going

Lost to LSU in overtime in a game we could have won with just a bit of luck

Lost to Arky in large part due to Tiffin's missed kicks
Lost to Florida when JPW threw a pick six on a potential winning drive
Lost to Vols by a single play
Lost to a much better Auburn team on a single play
Lost to Okie State on the last play of the game

The irony is that if Shula wins even half of those games, we don't get Saban.
I think after the "honk if you sacked Brodie" game Shula was on thin ice despite winning 10 games and the cotton bowl (on the ugliest field goal ever). Yes he got a contract extension, but there were a lot of mad people after the 05 iron bowl. Then you had the Vols game in 06 in which Simeon returns a pick to the goaline, and just about every Bama fan was thinking "if he didn't score then we were only getting 3 out of that pick".

Finally the MSU game... I know a lot of Bama fans that said it was the weirdest feeling going out of the stadium that day. They pretty much said no one was overally upset, but talking more positively about the future since we were going to get a good coach, and sanctions wouldn't prevent us from getting one. I've heard that Mal gave Shula an ultimatum to get rid of Radar after the Auburn game, but I've also heard the MSU game was the point of no return. But I think Shula's fate was more or less sealed with who he lost to and how.

FWIW The 2003 LSU, 2003 UGA, 04 USCe,and 05 Auburn games felt like blowouts, but again it wasn't as big of a factor as always being so close but so far away in games, and 0-4 to Auburn and 1-3 to Tennessee.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think after the "honk if you sacked Brodie" game Shula was on thin ice despite winning 10 games and the cotton bowl (on the ugliest field goal ever). Yes he got a contract extension, but there were a lot of mad people after the 05 iron bowl. Then you had the Vols game in 06 in which Simeon returns a pick to the goaline, and just about every Bama fan was thinking "if he didn't score then we were only getting 3 out of that pick".

Finally the MSU game... I know a lot of Bama fans that said it was the weirdest feeling going out of the stadium that day. They pretty much said no one was overally upset, but talking more positively about the future since we were going to get a good coach, and sanctions wouldn't prevent us from getting one. I've heard that Mal gave Shula an ultimatum to get rid of Radar after the Auburn game, but I've also heard the MSU game was the point of no return. But I think Shula's fate was more or less sealed with who he lost to and how.

I've heard both as well on the last point you make here. Shula was VERY fortunate to have won as many games as he did in 2005, and I think the fact he did it primarily with Fran recruits exposed another flaw in his processes. I literally did not see ANY of our games in 2006. I moved into a new house the day of the Florida game plus my son was playing football for the only time, so most of my Saturdays that fall were spent watching him and not Alabama. Also, I began working a weekend schedule, so I missed the MSU game once my kid's season was over.

FWIW The 2003 LSU, 2003 UGA, 04 USCe,and 05 Auburn games felt like blowouts, but again it wasn't as big of a factor as always being so close but so far away in games, and 0-4 to Auburn and 1-3 to Tennessee.
The only one of those I saw part of was 2003 UGA, and I lived on the Left Coast at the time. I got home around halftime and it was......awful. Oh I take that back, yeah I saw the 2005 Auburn game, too - never felt like we were in it then, either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.