Early Impressions

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Its been a while since I have been on here, but I have been to most of the games thus far. Here is my take based on what I have seen.

I look at this team and don't see a whole lot of talent. I know that some will disagree with that statement, but it is just how I see things. Our primary starting pitchers have been up and down. In one game, they will be throwing good quality strikes and getting hitters out and then the next game they can't seem to find the strike zone. That being said, even when they are struggling, they have tended to fight through it and have managed to settle down after a couple of innings and get back on track. That, in my opinion, is a combination of determination on the part of our pitchers and coaching. It seems that our bullpen is a mystery. Goff has shown a willingness to go the pen and use a lot of arms. I personally like seeing a lot of guys getting work out of the pen rather than using the same few guys over and over. It is a long season and we need a bunch of arms. I'm not quite sure who our closer is at this point. I'm not even sure that we actually have a true closer unless it is Vainer. He has looked pretty good coming out of the pen so far.

Catcher was a position that was a huge question mark coming in. We have four on the roster but only a few starts in a Bama uniform coming in. It was sort of musical chairs to begin with but it looks like we are settling in to two primary catchers at this point in Kaufman and DeVinny. I think Kaufman is a little better defensively and DeVinney is a little better offensively. Either is, I think, an improvement offensively over last year, but both are definitely drop offs defensively. That is not a knock on these guys defensive abilities, but is a tribute to Will Haynie's defensive abilities.

Hunter Alexander has taken over at first base. I can't complain about him so far. He has hit well and has one error through 15 games. The middle infield is the same as last year. Both Avant and Vance have improved offensively so far and have remained solid defensively. Connor Short seems to be locked in at third base.

In the outfield, we only had one returning full time starter in Chandler Taylor. Taylor is solid defensively and can hit the ball a mile. The problem is, it is all or nothing. Through 15 games, he has 14 hits and 15 strike outs. When we get to SEC play, those numbers will probably get worse. Gene Wood seems to have won the CF job, but has struggled at the plate. Left field, much like last year has been a revolving door.

Cody Henry has locked up the DH position but he needs to cut down on his Ks.

Overall, we just simply do not have the talent that we have had in years past. Of out primary starters, I really don't think that more than a couple of them would see significant playing time let alone be starters at most other SEC schools. In order for this team to win, they are going to have to fight, scratch and claw the whole time. That can take a lot out of a player, but it can also be a lot of fun. The comforting thing is that as I watch these guys, they seem to have the right mentality to fight. They are not afraid to get dirty diving after balls and they have been aggressive on the bases. That is what it will take for this team to have a chance at being successful.

Now, having talked about the players, on to the coaching staff. When Goff and his staff came in, I expected that there would be growing pains. We have gone from a head coach who was extremely laid back to one who is a tough taskmaster and who believes in hard work. I expected that we would lose players who weren't willing to adapt to the new philosophy. Other than the guys who went pro, we didn't lose very many at all. Most of the players have adapted and seem to enjoy the new "old school" philosophy. I have spoken to a couple of players and their parents and they like the new style of play. Of course, there will always be a player or two (or more) who simply don't want to fall in line with what a new coach wants. That happened when CNS took over the football program and it showed during the first year. Those players will move on and once they are gone, that issue will be gone as well.

One thing that I see out of this staff is in-game coaching. I have seen the entire staff during games talking to players and actually coaching them, i.e., telling them what they did wrong and how to correct it. I have mentioned pitchers struggling and fighting through it and getting back on track. That is due to the players' determination and willingness to listen to what the coaches are saying and the coaches' ability to see what is happening and knowing how to correct it. I have seen the same thing at the plate. We have made some in-game adjustments after terrible at bats that lead to better at bats the next time through. The coaches have adjusted as well. During the first few games, the lineup was constantly changing as the staff gave players opportunities before settling on who would see the bulk of the playing time. As the staff learned more and more about the players and how they would perform with the lights on and the music blaring, roles have become more defined.

My overall impression of this version of the Tide is that we will struggle when we get to SEC play. We will win a few along the way, but I don't expect a huge year. I hope I am wrong, but I think it is just a question of overall talent. I think the staff will get the most out of the players on hand and when we look back on the season this summer, we will feel pretty good about the program and the direction in which it is headed. The next question is what kind of talent the staff will bring in for future years.

Regardless of what happens, I will support this team and this staff and will be at as many games as possible and hope for the best.

Roll Tide!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Its been a while since I have been on here, but I have been to most of the games thus far. Here is my take based on what I have seen.

I look at this team and don't see a whole lot of talent. I know that some will disagree with that statement, but it is just how I see things. Our primary starting pitchers have been up and down. In one game, they will be throwing good quality strikes and getting hitters out and then the next game they can't seem to find the strike zone. That being said, even when they are struggling, they have tended to fight through it and have managed to settle down after a couple of innings and get back on track. That, in my opinion, is a combination of determination on the part of our pitchers and coaching. It seems that our bullpen is a mystery. Goff has shown a willingness to go the pen and use a lot of arms. I personally like seeing a lot of guys getting work out of the pen rather than using the same few guys over and over. It is a long season and we need a bunch of arms. I'm not quite sure who our closer is at this point. I'm not even sure that we actually have a true closer unless it is Vainer. He has looked pretty good coming out of the pen so far.

Catcher was a position that was a huge question mark coming in. We have four on the roster but only a few starts in a Bama uniform coming in. It was sort of musical chairs to begin with but it looks like we are settling in to two primary catchers at this point in Kaufman and DeVinny. I think Kaufman is a little better defensively and DeVinney is a little better offensively. Either is, I think, an improvement offensively over last year, but both are definitely drop offs defensively. That is not a knock on these guys defensive abilities, but is a tribute to Will Haynie's defensive abilities.

Hunter Alexander has taken over at first base. I can't complain about him so far. He has hit well and has one error through 15 games. The middle infield is the same as last year. Both Avant and Vance have improved offensively so far and have remained solid defensively. Connor Short seems to be locked in at third base.

In the outfield, we only had one returning full time starter in Chandler Taylor. Taylor is solid defensively and can hit the ball a mile. The problem is, it is all or nothing. Through 15 games, he has 14 hits and 15 strike outs. When we get to SEC play, those numbers will probably get worse. Gene Wood seems to have won the CF job, but has struggled at the plate. Left field, much like last year has been a revolving door.

Cody Henry has locked up the DH position but he needs to cut down on his Ks.

Overall, we just simply do not have the talent that we have had in years past. Of out primary starters, I really don't think that more than a couple of them would see significant playing time let alone be starters at most other SEC schools. In order for this team to win, they are going to have to fight, scratch and claw the whole time. That can take a lot out of a player, but it can also be a lot of fun. The comforting thing is that as I watch these guys, they seem to have the right mentality to fight. They are not afraid to get dirty diving after balls and they have been aggressive on the bases. That is what it will take for this team to have a chance at being successful.

Now, having talked about the players, on to the coaching staff. When Goff and his staff came in, I expected that there would be growing pains. We have gone from a head coach who was extremely laid back to one who is a tough taskmaster and who believes in hard work. I expected that we would lose players who weren't willing to adapt to the new philosophy. Other than the guys who went pro, we didn't lose very many at all. Most of the players have adapted and seem to enjoy the new "old school" philosophy. I have spoken to a couple of players and their parents and they like the new style of play. Of course, there will always be a player or two (or more) who simply don't want to fall in line with what a new coach wants. That happened when CNS took over the football program and it showed during the first year. Those players will move on and once they are gone, that issue will be gone as well.

One thing that I see out of this staff is in-game coaching. I have seen the entire staff during games talking to players and actually coaching them, i.e., telling them what they did wrong and how to correct it. I have mentioned pitchers struggling and fighting through it and getting back on track. That is due to the players' determination and willingness to listen to what the coaches are saying and the coaches' ability to see what is happening and knowing how to correct it. I have seen the same thing at the plate. We have made some in-game adjustments after terrible at bats that lead to better at bats the next time through. The coaches have adjusted as well. During the first few games, the lineup was constantly changing as the staff gave players opportunities before settling on who would see the bulk of the playing time. As the staff learned more and more about the players and how they would perform with the lights on and the music blaring, roles have become more defined.

My overall impression of this version of the Tide is that we will struggle when we get to SEC play. We will win a few along the way, but I don't expect a huge year. I hope I am wrong, but I think it is just a question of overall talent. I think the staff will get the most out of the players on hand and when we look back on the season this summer, we will feel pretty good about the program and the direction in which it is headed. The next question is what kind of talent the staff will bring in for future years.

Regardless of what happens, I will support this team and this staff and will be at as many games as possible and hope for the best.

Roll Tide!
Agree with your take 99%. I do think we have a little more talent in the rotation/pen than you think. I think as they get experience and trust their stuff the results will improve. Also, consistently throwing to the same catcher will help.

I agree our IF defense seems adequate and is set. I think they can provide enough offensively if they are smart and don't try to do too much.

Also agree with your OF analysis. I think defensively they can be decent. Offensively as you said, Taylor needs to limit the K's. Reminds me of Haynie last year, either hits it a mile or strikes out. Wood be great if someone would grab LF by the horns. Wood is good defensively and many CF make it in the pro's based off of their D. (Not saying Wood is that good just saying we can survive with him in CF)

The biggest thing that I think has helped the last 8 games is settling on your catcher rotation. DeVinny can hit it a mile as 3 HR in his past 4 games shows. He needs to cut down on the K's. Kaufman can also hit good enough for the SEC. I think both are adequate defensively although not gold glovers back there. I'd expect them to split time and think DeVinny should be the Fri/Sun guy with Kaufman being Sat/midweek. My basis for this is DeVinny is ahead offensively and you'll see better pitching Friday night.

In regards to coaching, I admit I was hard on Goff's staff the first few weeks of the season. In talking to players/parents and another person inside the AD, it seems as if Goff has pivoted a little bit and is letting the players play. I think their was a little bit too much pressure to perform. Again, in talking with folks inside I think Goff needed to lay down the law but now it seems the players have bought in, he is letting the guys play. I hope that continues and support the staff/players.

I think it may be hard to win 10 SEC games but, I wouldn't be shocked if they came closer to 14-16 SEC wins and claw their way to a regional.!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I agree that Vainer has to be our closer at this point. Seems Suchey will be the main reliever in the middle. We just need another pitcher for the 7th or 8th to get us into the 9th with a lead.

bamaguy333

Feb 26, 2017
This team minus Fri starter and 2 closers won 32 games last yr. and 15-15 in conference. On most years that's enough to get to NCAA post season. 2016 team played a solid out of conference schedule but unfortunately a lot of those in and out of conference teams tanked which killed RPI. I do not believe that a head coach yelling NO or YES, during each pitch, from 3rd base as his hitter is trying to make contact with a pitch is "good" coaching. IMO that's high school Harry BS that will get you beat, as it has. Clearly, the pitching rotation was better with Walters and Eich Sat/Sun. Hell, use Love on Fri. Duarte was good mid reliever last year.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Talked to a buddy, who spent around 40 years, in MLB. He has held every conceivable field position. All I am going to say about his background, since this is not about him. After he retired, he took up managing the local community college, just to keep busy.

So, I asked him about some things that we have observed.

First, let me say one of his sayings is "They call them routine plays, because they are routine. You have to make them. All of them. Don't care about the plays that get you on Sports Center. Make the routine plays."

Can't say what his exact language was, about the 9th inning debacle. Use your imagination. Part of it was "You actually saw this? What team was this? You're kidding? I wouldn't watch that stuff."

About calling pitches: he lets the pitching coach do that, and he does call all of them.
About throwing lots of curve balls: around 50%.

Why so many? "A lot of kids can't handle one, so you feed them a lot."
(Can his guys get one over? "Never said they are any good. It is just what we ask them to do.")
(I would be concerned they can actually throw strikes, but that is just me.)
(And change speed. And location. Lots of things the average hitter can't handle. A lot of the pitchers can't either, so keep it simple. We are not talking about working with Saban-level of talent.)
But something on the order of over 80%? He agrees that is way too many.
On all of the walks: "How many, per 9 innings? What team is this, again?" When I told him....................silence. I think he was at a loss for words.

(No, he is not available!)

His team plays a different type of schedule, than we do. Mostly tournament format. They have 6 starters, because they will actually use that many, in most weeks.

"We got all of ours stretched out now, so we are ready to go. Not saying all of them are good, but they are ready."

His son called, and we had to break things off.

(Ok, we did get one other item in. "If Alabama is playing that bad, then why are you watching that, instead of the WBC?"

"Because I don't have cable, and why should I care about the WBC, if most of the players don't?"
"You got that part right."

I do care about our baseball team, though.

RTR!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Talked to a buddy, who spent around 40 years, in MLB. He has held every conceivable field position. All I am going to say about his background, since this is not about him. After he retired, he took up managing the local community college, just to keep busy.

So, I asked him about some things that we have observed.

First, let me say one of his sayings is "They call them routine plays, because they are routine. You have to make them. All of them. Don't care about the plays that get you on Sports Center. Make the routine plays."

Can't say what his exact language was, about the 9th inning debacle. Use your imagination. Part of it was "You actually saw this? What team was this? You're kidding? I wouldn't watch that stuff."

About calling pitches: he lets the pitching coach do that, and he does call all of them.
About throwing lots of curve balls: around 50%.

Why so many? "A lot of kids can't handle one, so you feed them a lot."
(Can his guys get one over? "Never said they are any good. It is just what we ask them to do.")
(I would be concerned they can actually throw strikes, but that is just me.)
(And change speed. And location. Lots of things the average hitter can't handle. A lot of the pitchers can't either, so keep it simple. We are not talking about working with Saban-level of talent.)
But something on the order of over 80%? He agrees that is way too many.
On all of the walks: "How many, per 9 innings? What team is this, again?" When I told him....................silence. I think he was at a loss for words.

(No, he is not available!)

His team plays a different type of schedule, than we do. Mostly tournament format. They have 6 starters, because they will actually use that many, in most weeks.

"We got all of ours stretched out now, so we are ready to go. Not saying all of them are good, but they are ready."

His son called, and we had to break things off.

(Ok, we did get one other item in. "If Alabama is playing that bad, then why are you watching that, instead of the WBC?"

"Because I don't have cable, and why should I care about the WBC, if most of the players don't?"
"You got that part right."

I do care about our baseball team, though.

RTR!
Our pitching coach is asking these kids to throw way too many curve/breaking balls. Nick is pitching hurt and Love is likely out for a while if not done for the season. Others (players and parents) are openly concerned about usage.

IMO Goff wants to run guys off whose $$$ is needed for a kid coming in. Our AD will not stand for mass cutting kids or he would've already, he tried.... Gettimg them to leave is his next best play.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
What is the purpose of all these breaking balls? y'all know more about baseball than I do. The only thing that can gather is goff doesn't think our fastballs are good enough to get by hitters and he is trying to keep it in the park with the breaking balls. But it is obvious our pitchers can't throw them with much accuracy so we end walking runners in that may have hit the fastballs out of the park. If that is the case then I am not sure what the solution is to that problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Most guys worth their spit can hit a fastball, at times even when thrown at 95+ mph, however, far far fewer can hit a breaking ball - especially consistently. So, if your staff doesn't have overpowering arms, coaches had rather take their chances on breaking balls than serving up fastballs that are more likely to get hit all over, and even out of, the park. A pick your poison type of scenario with the results of neither being particularly pleasant. At least that is my viewpoint.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Can't disagree with that, but if you can't get those breaking balls swung at, or called a strike, then you are in trouble.

The other drawback is tearing up arms. No idea if that played into Brock's injury. It is a possibility.

Bottom line is we are in trouble, more times than not. At least our guys hang in there, and have shown the ability to battle back.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Can't disagree with that, but if you can't get those breaking balls swung at, or called a strike, then you are in trouble.

The other drawback is tearing up arms. No idea if that played into Brock's injury. It is a possibility.

Bottom line is we are in trouble, more times than not. At least our guys hang in there, and have shown the ability to battle back.
Hearing players/parents were ....ed about Brock and how he was used, I'd say it played a big part in his needing TJ surgery. You can't ask these kids to snap off that many.... Also, it puts a lot of stress on the catchers. Asking them to block 15-20 balls in the dirt is asking a lot!

SECis the best

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 17, 2017
They really need to throw more fastballs. Obviously they don't throw enough breaking balls for strikes. Make the other team put it in play. Hitting is certainly a game of failure. If you fail 70% of the time you are still hitting .300. As far as Goff & the pitchers go, he better be careful with Suchey. The guy is by far the best guy out of the pen and he will wear him out before the halfway point. Where the heck is Zac Rogers and why don't he use him.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Agree on Suchey. He went 9.2 innings 2 weeks ago (read he had 150+ pitches) and 6 innings this week. That is a lot of pitches. Especially when breaking off 70-80 breaking balls.

They really need to throw more fastballs. Obviously they don't throw enough breaking balls for strikes. Make the other team put it in play. Hitting is certainly a game of failure. If you fail 70% of the time you are still hitting .300. As far as Goff & the pitchers go, he better be careful with Suchey. The guy is by far the best guy out of the pen and he will wear him out before the halfway point. Where the heck is Zac Rogers and why don't he use him.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
This whole new generation of kids think you need to throw 80/20 breaking stuff and they couldn't be more wrong. You use your fastball to set everything up, you use it to get the hitter behind, but I can go to h.s. games today and they will throw slider, curve, slider, curve and wonder why they don't have as many strikeouts against the GOOD TEAMS.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.