Richmond vs. Alabama

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
This is not sour grapes, but the officials call a held ball when Braxton get fouled on a drive cost us 2 points. Bola is tackled under the goal on a rebound when we likely would have scored 2, instead free throws on the other end 3 point swing. Call don't a for a phantom foul on Donta against Cline 2 points. 7 points we could have some scored, but didn't. The margin was 7 points with them shooting free throws at the end.

The state of officiating in basketball has never been worse. We have the worst dynamic with the officials for some reason I've ever seen. We just can't catch a break. When was the last time we shot more free throws than our opponent.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I see where you are coming from however there was never anything to get excited about as far as our roster goes other than an NIT appearance.
Sure there was. Clemson lost, and one more home game was there, for the taking.

Unless Spring Break is more important. Maybe it is.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I used to kind of like the NIT. It always brought us some interesting matchups. Now it's like a lower level bowl game. Who is the excited team to be there. Remember a few years back when Robert Morris beat Kentucky in the NIT? Richmond shot unbelievable from the floor tonight as well. That was also a veteran group that had played together for a few years. Our vets have been pieced together from grad transfers. People forget that this is a pieced together roster. Some of you guys think that CAJ is a miracle worker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stonewall D

Mar 13, 2017
How can one argue with this? I did want to post my true opinion before the game- that I did not think Richmond had a prayer of winning this game. Alabama is the class of the SEC.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
And I'm not excusing tonight's loss. It shouldn't have happened at all. But nights like this happen when one team is shooting lights out and one team has tired legs. That was our 4th game in 6 days, with 2 of them being against very physical teams. Again not an excuse but it was a definite factor.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Deep sigh. Earl will ban me if I say anything more on your comments.
This is not sour grapes, but the officials call a held ball when Braxton get fouled on a drive cost us 2 points. Bola is tackled under the goal on a rebound when we likely would have scored 2, instead free throws on the other end 3 point swing. Call don't a for a phantom foul on Donta against Cline 2 points. 7 points we could have some scored, but didn't. The margin was 7 points with them shooting free throws at the end.

The state of officiating in basketball has never been worse. We have the worst dynamic with the officials for some reason I've ever seen. We just can't catch a break. When was the last time we shot more free throws than our opponent.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Were you there? We have a razor thin margin for error and the refs evened up the field. You are correct that they came to play, but if you call the 3 instances I mentioned we'd at worst be tied. They were a team that shoots the ball well and they shot the lights out tonight. But there were horrible calls that rec league officials would call. The call on the rebound with Bola had 2 of their guys tacking him right in front of the official. No call. They shot more free throws on our home court. I've seen this same story with the officials play itself out all year.

For instance I think we've won 1 game Doug Shows has done all year.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
On a different note. I really liked the team fouls resetting at the 10 minute mark. I think the game should move to 4 10 min quarters. I really thought the flow of the game was pretty good.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Were you there? We have a razor thin margin for error and the refs evened up the field. You are correct that they came to play, but if you call the 3 instances I mentioned we'd at worst be tied. They were a team that shoots the ball well and they shot the lights out tonight. But there were horrible calls that rec league officials would call. The call on the rebound with Bola had 2 of their guys tacking him right in front of the official. No call. They shot more free throws on our home court. I've seen this same story with the officials play itself out all year.

For instance I think we've won 1 game Doug Shows has done all year.
While what you're saying is true, it's "but for" logic. IOW, if this and this hadn't happened, then... We were on home court, were eight point favorites and had a remarkable size advantage. The refs didn't do it. We were just a tired, unmotivated team, and it showed...

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
While what you're saying is true, it's "but for" logic. IOW, if this and this hadn't happened, then... We were on home court, were eight point favorites and had a remarkable size advantage. The refs didn't do it. We were just a tired, unmotivated team, and it showed...
Tired and uninspired is spot on. I'm really beginning to think that maybe the NIT should just become a mid-major tournament.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I was happy I went to the game but it was definitely a tough one. Outside of the first few minutes, it never really felt like Bama would take control of the game. Richmond made the necessary shots/plays to win the game and we didn't. Hats off to them.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Bama looked very indecisive for most of the game. They could never get into a rhythm.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
[HR][/HR]Couple of things (minutiae in the bigger scheme of 'Bama basketball):

'Bama had better athletes, Richmond had better basketball players (big difference).

Now that the NCAA owns the NIT, can a D1 school even "send regrets" to that invite - and decline to play in the tournament?

I hate the NIT, it's for losers and has been since the Big Dance starting getting bigger (32 teams, then 64).

Corollary to that hate - and the meaninglessness attached to the NIT - why can't the NCAA tournament expand to 96 teams, which would include or annex the 32 the NIT gets?

I put any knocks against Avery's post-season coaching in context with what I saw last Saturday against UK - the way the Tide played, throughout the entire game, length of the court, to the final buzzer - convinced me that he can get eventually get 'Bama basketball where it needs to be.

The postmortem for this season is, alas, same as for the last 10-15: It's gotta get better next year. Have to believe that it will - with the influx of talent sending some packing and others "deservedly" (from an SEC and D1 vantage) back to the bench.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.