Richmond vs. Alabama

Stonewall D

Mar 13, 2017
Greetings from a Richmond fan. Feel free to visit us at www.spidernation.com. I am going to give you a few tidbits about our team. Alabama is a tough match-up for us. We have a small line-up. We start 4 guards, each of whom is smaller than 6'4". We have one forward, TJ Cline, who was the A-10 player of the year. TJ's mother is Nancy Lieberman, an Assistant Coach of the Sacramento Kings. She was a national player of the year for Old Dominion in the late 70's. TJ scores about 19 points a game, has about 8 rebounds and about 8 assists per game. His strength is passing. His mom coached him in Sacramento for 2 months over last summer. She proudly says that during that time "she was not his mother, but the Assistant Coach in the NBA."

The Spiders average about 52% from 2 and about 40-45% from three. Our tall(?) 6'4" guard handles jump ball responsibilities, but it seems to work for us.
Alabama is much larger than Richmond. We do not rebound well and our Coach does not emphasize offensive rebounding.

We expect a fun game. This team as far exceeded everyone's expectations this year.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Richmond due to their win over the barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stonewall D

Mar 13, 2017
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Richmond due to their win over the barn.
If you are referring to Richmond's defeat of Auburn in the 1984 NCAA tournament, that one put us on the map in basketball. At that time, the UR campus was separated into the "guy's side" and the "girl's side"; the two campuses were divided by a lake. After that victory the entire male population of the University of Richmond ran across the causeway over the lake and descended upon the lone freshman girl's dorm. I was the largest single panty raid in the history of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Ah the humanity.

I always have a soft spot in my heart for the great State of Alabama, God's Country. This land of ours needs to be run by someone from Alabama.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Richmond will present problems

They take great care of the ball, and are a jaw dropping 19-1 when leading with 5 minutes left

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Ditto. Bread Truck (Barkley) and company were turned into stale baked goods by the Spiders. By the way, 'Bama's had a number of such dumbfounding Big Dance losses - most of them on Gottfraud's watch but it all started with the upstarts with good ol' Lamar Tech of Beaumont, Tex. 35 years ago in an awful whuppin'.

Now what's this about the star of this year's team being Nancy Lieberman's boy? Who's the Daddy? (Know it ain't Martina - not that there's anything wrong with that if it were...)

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Ditto. Bread Truck (Barkley) and company were turned into stale baked goods by the Spiders. By the way, 'Bama's had a number of such dumbfounding Big Dance losses - most of them on Gottfraud's watch but it all started with the upstarts with good ol' Lamar Tech of Beaumont, Tex. 35 years ago in an awful whuppin'.

Now what's this about the star of this year's team being Nancy Lieberman's boy? Who's the Daddy? (Know it ain't Martina - not that there's anything wrong with that if it were...)
Mr. Cline?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Out of respect for our guest, let's keep this away from non-sports.

We have indeed had a few NCAA clunkers over the years. Hopefully we get a chance to avenge some of those next year.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Greetings from a Richmond fan. Feel free to visit us at www.spidernation.com. I am going to give you a few tidbits about our team. Alabama is a tough match-up for us. We have a small line-up. We start 4 guards, each of whom is smaller than 6'4". We have one forward, TJ Cline, who was the A-10 player of the year. TJ's mother is Nancy Lieberman, an Assistant Coach of the Sacramento Kings. She was a national player of the year for Old Dominion in the late 70's. TJ scores about 19 points a game, has about 8 rebounds and about 8 assists per game. His strength is passing. His mom coached him in Sacramento for 2 months over last summer. She proudly says that during that time "she was not his mother, but the Assistant Coach in the NBA."

The Spiders average about 52% from 2 and about 40-45% from three. Our tall(?) 6'4" guard handles jump ball responsibilities, but it seems to work for us.
Alabama is much larger than Richmond. We do not rebound well and our Coach does not emphasize offensive rebounding.

We expect a fun game. This team as far exceeded everyone's expectations this year.
Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to it being a great game!

Stonewall D

Mar 13, 2017
Bama will have a size advantage
We have some tall guys, but they never play. Watch the opening tip, the jump balls are handled by our 6'4" guard, DeMonte Buckingham. He was the A-10 Rookie of the year. He wears a trademark white headband. We win a surprising number of the jump balls, because our team is quick. Bama is favored by 8 points, I believe.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Key threw the ball away twice and went to the bench. Needs come back out focused. Trying to feed the ball to Olaniyan isn't such a good idea anyway.
Feeding the ball to any of our big guys isn't a good idea. I think we should go small against this team. Heck I may make Brandon the center

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.