Results from Alabama's Spring Workouts

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Curious if any one else noticed this but Jalen seemed to be really hesitant as a runner earlier in the season that made him seem slower than he is. Especially in the first few games. As the season went on he became more comfortable (possibly too comfortable?) running and his speed started to show more and more. He is also incredibly graceful at times which reminds me a little of Yeldon.
I think he was hesitant not just in running but passing. A split second hesitation and passing windows close. This will be his biggest area to mature in and get more decisive this year.

It might result in a few more INTs, but it'll also open the middle of the field up for our receivers to make some big plays.

To me, this is his #1 challenge. If he can do it the sky is the limit. If not, offense in stuck with short passes and unused talented receivers and the qb competition gets going again.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Check this out: http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...ung_alabama_players_w.html#incart_2box_sports

15 players that impressed vets this year:
T.J. Simmons (Going to be interesting to see where he lands this spring)
Trevon Diggs,
Derek Kief, (Improved a lot to where he could be a contributor this year)
Cam Sims
Xavian Marks (His name keeps coming up a lot)
B.J. Emmons
Josh Jacobs
Anfernee JenningsBen Davis
Mekhi Brown
Quinnen Williams
Aaron Robinson (He was second in depth last year, so he is a real contender for starting cb)
Mack Wilson
Terrell Hall
Jared Mayden

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I saw Moses in the Under Armour all-star game and he stood out among the elite. I didn't realize he is as big as he is (unless numbers are inflated).

I get what you are saying about players that really stand out when young. Some of them have already advanced way beyond their chronological age and have peaked out. I've seen this a number of times.
part of my thought process, too, is that Alabama is so deep at LB that he likely won't be needed early.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Check this out: http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...ung_alabama_players_w.html#incart_2box_sports

15 players that impressed vets this year:
T.J. Simmons (Going to be interesting to see where he lands this spring)
Trevon Diggs,
Derek Kief, (Improved a lot to where he could be a contributor this year)
Cam Sims
Xavian Marks (His name keeps coming up a lot)
B.J. Emmons
Josh Jacobs
Anfernee JenningsBen Davis
Mekhi Brown
Quinnen Williams
Aaron Robinson (He was second in depth last year, so he is a real contender for starting cb)
Mack Wilson
Terrell Hall
Jared Mayden

I saw this and thought the BJ Emmons nod was interesting. It's an incredibly good problem to have but how in gods name do you managed this RB situation? There are quite literally too many hands to feed.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
I am sure some transfer attrition is inevitable at RB with this stack; kind of inevitable when you sign the #1 RB prospect in the country almost very year. And then, every so often you have a 3star like Ingram or Jacobs blossom.
Remember some guy named Kamara? Bought to make some big $$ in the league.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
part of my thought process, too, is that Alabama is so deep at LB that he likely won't be needed early.
agreed - we've got one open ILB spot assuming SDH makes a full recovery, and only counting guys on campus, FOUR five star LBs (all of them top 3LBs) and two four stars competing for it.

moses will get his reps on special teams, and there's an outside shot he could get a role in a package if he can get a big headstart on the playbook, but the reality is this is probably Evans year, and next year we'll see Davis/Wilson/Moses going after the two starting roles.

Hypothetical thought: Moses is faster than many of our DBs. Would the staff consider putting him at Star if he has the hips for it? If he could play there it would give us a seamless transition from base (with him as a SAM) to nickel...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
agreed - we've got one open ILB spot assuming SDH makes a full recovery, and only counting guys on campus, FOUR five star LBs (all of them top 3LBs) and two four stars competing for it.

moses will get his reps on special teams, and there's an outside shot he could get a role in a package if he can get a big headstart on the playbook, but the reality is this is probably Evans year, and next year we'll see Davis/Wilson/Moses going after the two starting roles.

Hypothetical thought: Moses is faster than many of our DBs. Would the staff consider putting him at Star if he has the hips for it? If he could play there it would give us a seamless transition from base (with him as a SAM) to nickel...
While the recruiting services might have listed him as an ILB, Moses was recruited to be an OLB at Bama.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I thought Evans is getting that spot. I don't see any reason for anyone beside Evans to be next to SDH...

I thought Evans is getting that spot. I don't see any reason for anyone beside Evans to be next to SDH...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think it's Evans to lose, but he's going to have to prove he's 100% comfortable being inside or we could see mack or Davis overtake him. He did good for his first start against clemson so he'll have to show a solid growth path.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I could see him staying because while he can rush the passer some he still isn't a "pass rusher." Makes me think he could be around for another year
Payne is gone as he should be after this year.

I am going to be surprised if Moses contributes much in his first year. He drew national attention and rankings by being so far above everyone athletically at a young age and then committing to LSU as a 9th grader. But, most highly ranked high school LBers caught up to him in football ability. I think Allen has a better chance of contributing early. P.s. Not sour grapes, just an opinion.
Just don't see that happening. He has the size and speed and tackling ability, all he needs to do now is learn the defense. I would imagine he plays right away on special teams and possibly in mop up duty or to give the other LB's a breather.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's the first I have heard of him being OLB. All the articles I have read he talked about starting out as a Will then moving to Mike. Both are considered ILB spots in our scheme.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/12/dylan_moses_alabama_recruit.html
I stand corrected. I saw some talking about him being an OLB but does look like he's going to be ILB. Found this from BOL on him in relation to the position group:

What we're about to find out: January enrollee Dylan Moses will be on hand for spring drills, joining Wilson and Davis as the third five-star linebacker Alabama has landed in its last two recruiting classes. While Wilson was working his way onto the field in 2016, Davis, to the surprise of some, worked with the scout team defense.

Like Wilson, both Davis and Moses have the look of future stars. At Alabama, that means possessing the physical attributes needed to play in each of the Crimson Tide's three primary defensive packages (emphasis on pass coverage in nickel and dime looks), with cross training at outside linebacker a possibility as well.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Didn't they try Evans at star at some point in practice? I feel like I remember reading about it at some point. He's a really interesting and versatile player and I can't imagine he misses out on a significant role.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Didn't they try Evans at star at some point in practice? I feel like I remember reading about it at some point. He's a really interesting and versatile player and I can't imagine he misses out on a significant role.
I remember reading something about that. He's one that even though he has the speed for sure, I thought that was a stretch because he wasn't much of a play in space player at that point and that is basically all the Star is.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
And this is a reminder that these numbers aren't always believable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i remember seeing some of that awesome michigan speed in dallas.

i got to give a little bit of friendly ribbing to the michigan folks behind us about our 3rd stringers and walk-ons out-running their guys

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
I think with Jalen it was his hesitation that made him seem slower. There were several occasions that when he decided to just tuck and run he left folks grabbing air.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.