USAToday: What to like about Tennessee in 2017

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
3. Last chance. Don't sleep on the motivation that comes from the chopping block. It's no secret that another underwhelming season in 2017 would spell the end for Jones and his coaching staff, with the writing on the wall potentially as early as the end of September, given the teams on UT's opening-month slate. Perhaps having their backs to the wall will provide the Volunteers with the impetus needed to avoid the series of self-inflicted that have come to define the Jones era and discover the sort of consistent approach needed to make waves in and out of the SEC. Hey, we can dream, right?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...rs-early-look-college-football-2017/99133932/

I don't believe Blotch Jones is a great HC, so I expect about the same this year as the past three, which is mid pack. I hate to see him go 'cause I am afraid the Viles might someone really good. Oh, and to answer the thread title: NOTHING to like about Tennessee.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
They could've just written "Nothing" and it would have been a more accurate statement about what to like about them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The problem with Tennessee is the same with Nebraska. You have to have a great national recruiter and a better than average head coach. Tennessee should've been in Atlanta the last two years, but goofball found a way to dork it up. I say he has less of a chance this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't see TN as having suffered a bunch of self-inflicted wounds in the lat few seasons. The reality - they just have not been that good. The media needs to accept that they have just been wrong about TN. Right now, they are a very average football program.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
They could've just written "Nothing" and it would have been a more accurate statement about what to like about them.
lol Its hard to buy into ol Rocky Top at ALL this season. With CBJ at the helm, they will get in their own way of winning.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't see TN as having suffered a bunch of self-inflicted wounds in the lat few seasons. The reality - they just have not been that good. The media needs to accept that they have just been wrong about TN. Right now, they are a very average football program.
2015-
Florida: they were up double digits in the 4th. Goofball goes ultra conservative,and allows them back into the game. But still Florida needs a 4th and forever to keep the game going, and a miracle happens. Point is Florida should have never won that game.

Oklahoma: pretty much same story, but overtime

Alabama: Close game, but we had more horses.

2016:
Tennessee was both lucky and bad throughout the season, but they were the most talented team in the east.

Their problem like I said comes from up top, and that is Butch. Fulmer was the last coach to really be able to rely on the name of Tennessee for recruiting, but even he had some good fortune from out of state. Without great instate recruiting, you can't win without out of state talent. It's entirely possible that Kiffin probably has been better than any Tennessee coach since their last great season in 2004 Fulmer from 2005-08 was more or less milking his last bit of talent.

I think Butch, Gus, and Sumlin all could be looking for new jobs next year. I think out of the three Butch is in the worst situation and Gus is probably in a better situation.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
The problem with Tennessee is the same with Nebraska. You have to have a great national recruiter and a better than average head coach. Tennessee should've been in Atlanta the last two years, but goofball found a way to dork it up. I say he has less of a chance this year.
Agree with this. The reality is that the landscape of college football has changed and those (Tenn and Nebraska) aren't great jobs anymore. There is tremendous pressure/expectations but the in-state talent isn't very good and a generation has gone by since they were perceived as young kids as a national power.

Why would anyone rather coach at Tennessee than Florida or Georgia? Being the third best job in your own division (let alone compared to Alabama, LSU, or TA&M) is a huge step down. To really succeed at an elite level there you need to be both an elite recruiter and an elite coach (a Saban or Meyer type) and those are hard to come by.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..What I like the most about Tennersee is that they gave Butch another year to set back the viles football program..The longer he stays the more harm he will do to Vol's Football & the longer it will take the next HC to build back what Butch continues to tear down..If we didn't know better you'd think Butch was implanted into Vol's Football by The REC to destroy them from within..LOL

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think Butch, Gus, and Sumlin all could be looking for new jobs next year. I think out of the three Butch is in the worst situation and Gus is probably in a better situation.
Maybe you haven't heard but the barn got some guy from Baylol that will suddenly make them the most awesome team ever.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Tenn could potentially lose at least 6 of their first 8 games next season.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
They need to strike a balance between winning enough to keep Botch, and losing enough to keep them downtrodden. I know, I don't want much.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
One can hope.

I feel you, was looking at their schedule and I'm hoping it can go as follows

vs *Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets L
Indiana State Sycamores W
at Florida Gators L
UMass Minutemen W
Georgia Bulldogs L
*South Carolina Gamecocks L
at Alabama Crimson Tide L
*at Kentucky Wildcats L

the remaining games are
*Southern Miss Golden Eagles L
at Missouri Tigers W
LSU Tigers L
*Vanderbilt Commodores L

The games with asterisks are games they could very well win but I just believe they are really going to have a tough season.

They can lose as few as 6 or as many as 9. They question is how many Ls will it take for CBJ not to keep his job?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I feel you, was looking at their schedule and I'm hoping it can go as follows

vs *Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets L
Indiana State Sycamores W
at Florida Gators L
UMass Minutemen W
Georgia Bulldogs L
*South Carolina Gamecocks L
at Alabama Crimson Tide L
*at Kentucky Wildcats L

the remaining games are
*Southern Miss Golden Eagles L
at Missouri Tigers W
LSU Tigers L
*Vanderbilt Commodores L

The games with asterisks are games they could very well win but I just believe they are really going to have a tough season.

They can lose as few as 6 or as many as 9. They question is how many Ls will it take for CBJ not to keep his job?

Depends on whether they can repeat as Champions of Life.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.