USAToday: What to like about Tennessee in 2017

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
On Gruden...

This guy has made his legacy. He is not coming back to college football. He has a skate job, and the worst thing that he has to face on a weekly basis is getting impersonated by Frank Caliendo.
I also don't know why people assume that Gruden will still be a great HC. He hasn't coached in 7 years or so. I just don't buy that he would instantly be a great coach in CFB or NFL.

Edit: I just read back in the thread and realized this point had already been raised. My bad!

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
But who would they get that can nationally recruit and be a good gameday coach at the same time.

Let's just say they hit THEIR pipe dream hire like Michigan and hire Jon Gruden... one would have to wonder 2 things... 1) Can Gruden be a good college coach and 2) is he going to be too rusty from his time away from the game.

Then next tier would be the Sarkisian type hires in that they have a great recruiter but an average game day coach. This is probably their best case scenario.

Then they can get the Derek Dooley type hires in that they have to paint it as " He is Tennessee thru and Thru, and will continue the great traditions of Tennessee football."

So if they fire Butch it probably makes no difference because they are going to face the same problems they've been facing since 2005 to now in that they can't rely on their name alone for recruits. They only thing we lose by Butch being fired is the great slogans.

In some ways, I think Tennessee is where we were in 2006. I think they finally open up the vault and go get a top shelf coach at some point this year. Tennessee is a destination job for the right person and Botch is never going to be more than an 8-4/9-3 coach at this level.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In some ways, I think Tennessee is where we were in 2006. I think they finally open up the vault and go get a top shelf coach at some point this year. Tennessee is a destination job for the right person and Botch is never going to be more than an 8-4/9-3 coach at this level.
Who is a top level coach to hire right now though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
No, it's not - in-state recruiting is mediocre and you're surrounded by giants.

UT is mostly done as a perennial contender unless half the SEC plus Clemson and FSU fall off the map.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Lane Kiffin is the best coach they have had since 09, and Tennessee hasn't had any NCAA sanctions. Great coaches learned when Schellenberger built the wall around south beach and made a rich resort college a national power out of the blue, that the new mass media recruit has more on his mind than the tradition of a blue blood program. Tennessee has had success only when Bama is on sanctions or when they just steal a once in a lifetime player. Their in state recruiting is horrible, and they require a great national recruiter more than a game day coach. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Florida can fall exclusively on in state talent and still field a good team. Tennessee can't. It is not anything close to a destination job, and that's why it's always a "who is that" coach or a "my daddy coached" guy that is hired.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Chris Petersen would be a home run if they could get him away from Washington. That may be possible now that the premier job out west seems to be locked up for a while (assuming USC continues their great play).

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Chris Petersen would be a home run if they could get him away from Washington. That may be possible now that the premier job out west seems to be locked up for a while (assuming USC continues their great play).
Peterson would be a great hire, and anything's possible, but I'd be surprised. He turned down several offers while at Boise, and apparently is a western US guy. I wouldn't see him leaving a Washington program he spent several years bringing back to prominence, for UTe.

Other than the Neyland years, that program has struggled to find success unless rivals have their own problems -- some of which UTe conspired to create. I don't see Sankey allowing a repeat of what Kramer did.

At the upper end, Tennessee high school football has some talent. But it doesn't produce the numbers necessary for a major program to find national-caliber success. Compound that with UGA, Clemson, and Alabama being recruiting powerhouses, soaking up all the nearby talent they want. Auburn isn't bad recruiting either (development is another story, but we're talking talent acquisition here), and tOSU is not that far to the north.

UTe is really boxed in, and has to go far afield to find enough quality players to win championships....which as we remember from their Fulmer days, has its own downside.

To RTR91's point, what national-profile coach would willingly walk into that situation?

I think they'll have to take a chance on a mid-major coach again, or maybe a high-profile coordinator. And that's always risky...no matter how successful they were at the lower level, you just never know if they can make the leap. For every Tom Herman, there's a dozen Butch Joneses. I think their best hope is Fuente at VaTech, and I really don't see him leaving that soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they sniffed around Jeremy Pruitt.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
No, it's not - in-state recruiting is mediocre and you're surrounded by giants.

UT is mostly done as a perennial contender unless half the SEC plus Clemson and FSU fall off the map.
Respectfully could not disagree more. And they've always relied on out-of-state recruiting, even when they were really good. These things are cyclical, the vols will be good again with the RIGHT COACH.(and after Saban retires)

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If I was the new Tennessee AD, Les Miles and Dan Mullen would both be on my short list.
Les got run out of the state when he didn't really have to leave the state to recruit. What's he going to do at UT?

Mullen would be an intriguing hire.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Respectfully could not disagree more. And they've always relied on out-of-state recruiting, even when they were really good. These things are cyclical, the vols will be good again with the RIGHT COACH.(and after Saban retires)
You made the comparison to us in 2006, and that is not a great comparison given their recruiting situation. Alabama in 06 was a sleeping giant in a state full of great recruits hit with recruiting sanctions. Tennessee is an old name in a history book that is more or less a hungry blue tick hoping someone throws him a scrap. Alabama's potential has always been way higher than Tennessee. Tennessee is like Nebraska in that they need serious help from the outside to succeed. No top coach in their right mind would go there unless it's purely personal reasons to go.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I know I'm the outlier here but it's my opinion that UT could become relevant again in the SEC East were they to continue to beat Florida, have a winning season, and get to a bowl.

And while Coach Jones may not be on the same level as other head coaches who we would consider capable of taking their team to a Natty....I think he will stay at UT for some time to come. As long as they continue with winning seasons and their bowl games. Beating Florida wouldn't hurt either and IMHO I think just doing that alone goes an awfully long way to pleasing the PTB.

So, while I can't say that they would ever compete again for a national title with Coach Jones, I feel they will remain relevant, in the SEC East at least.

A lot will depend on who they get as replacement for Dobbs, though. I don't know much about that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know I'm the outlier here but it's my opinion that UT could become relevant again in the SEC East were they to continue to beat Florida, have a winning season, and get to a bowl.

And while Coach Jones may not be on the same level as other head coaches who we would consider capable of taking their team to a Natty....I think he will stay at UT for some time to come. As long as they continue with winning seasons and their bowl games. Beating Florida wouldn't hurt either and IMHO I think just doing that alone goes an awfully long way to pleasing the PTB.

So, while I can't say that they would ever compete again for a national title with Coach Jones, I feel they will remain relevant, in the SEC East at least.

A lot will depend on who they get as replacement for Dobbs, though. I don't know much about that.
To be a success in Tennessee fans eyes a coach would need to win a SECE crown, beat all 3 of the rivals within a 4 year time period, and make it to a r respectable bowl. Again all 3 of their big rivals (UA,UGA, and UF) have huge recruiting advantages even without a great head coach at the helm. Tennessee is constantly playing the game of "replacing the first string" in recruiting instead of "choosing from the wealth of talent accumulated from years and years of recruiting". Fulmer did win a championship there, but it happened in a down period at UA, UF, and UGA in which they had a lot of recruits coming to be a part of the Peyton Manning gravy train. Oddly enough it was in 98 when he won, but it should tell you all you need to know about Tennessee if you look at their success from 95-00. You can see when it really took a rebuilding Florida phase for them to finally break through.

I just can't see much hope with Alabama steamrolling and UGA and Florida the clear 1 and 2 in the east.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Chip Kelly, mainly because he's unemployed.

Not sure who they could lure away from an existing program. Would probably have to be an up and coming coordinator like Dave Aranda or Lincoln Riley.

Knowing Tennessee, they'd probably hire Tee Martin though.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
To be a success in Tennessee fans eyes a coach would need to win a SECE crown, beat all 3 of the rivals within a 4 year time period, and make it to a r respectable bowl. Again all 3 of their big rivals (UA,UGA, and UF) have huge recruiting advantages even without a great head coach at the helm. Tennessee is constantly playing the game of "replacing the first string" in recruiting instead of "choosing from the wealth of talent accumulated from years and years of recruiting". Fulmer did win a championship there, but it happened in a down period at UA, UF, and UGA in which they had a lot of recruits coming to be a part of the Peyton Manning gravy train. Oddly enough it was in 98 when he won, but it should tell you all you need to know about Tennessee if you look at their success from 95-00. You can see when it really took a rebuilding Florida phase for them to finally break through.

I just can't see much hope with Alabama steamrolling and UGA and Florida the clear 1 and 2 in the east.
You make a lot of good points.

I just don't see how anyone can forecast with a large degree of accuracy how any program is going to do in the forthcoming season.

Especially in this conference where there is so much competitiveness.

I also don't buy into the "Butch is on the hot seat" mantra.

But hey I could be dead wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

And obviously I have no love for 10RC, regardless of which way I predict their season to go.

And on that note.....I predict another SEC East crown for Florida - with Georgia giving them the most competition for that distinction.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You make a lot of good points.

I just don't see how anyone can forecast with a large degree of accuracy how any program is going to do in the forthcoming season.

Especially in this conference where there is so much competitiveness.

I also don't buy into the "Butch is on the hot seat" mantra.

But hey I could be dead wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

And obviously I have no love for 10RC, regardless of which way I predict their season to go.

And on that note.....I predict another SEC East crown for Florida - with Georgia giving them the most competition for that distinction.
I think Butch is only on the hot seat because of the stupid things he says. Otherwise I think Tennessee would be happy at his improvements from the Dooley days. But Tennessee fans are just tired of the Brick by Brick, Champions of Life, and other crap being thrown back at them.

Last edited:

T Bone

1st Team
I think 10rc fans would love a quote from their coach of "we are going all out to win", not the "we are champions of life" bs......i truly believe that the viles will not be a factor for a long time to come, just my opinion, and i hope they never will..........................rtr ..........t

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.