F-Bombs and Bikinis: What It Really Means to Be a “Christian”

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Free will to choose Him as our savior. We're obviously not able to choose freedom from sin without His sacrifice and continued grace.
I don't want to derail the thread altogether but I think the NT is pretty clear that we're not even free to do that. Even our response to God's grace is a result of his first action (we love because He first loved us....) and while by His mercy we may grow in grace, we never cease to be simul Justus et peccator - both justified and sinful.

And with that, I'm out. Good thread - thanks, everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Would seem to support the case that context matters more than the words used, depending on which version you read.
I think, based upon those verses, it's no more or less sinful than saying "crap." Or dang. Or dadgumit.

But in our culture, it elicits a far more visceral reaction than those other words. Probably because it is the only word in the English language that can be used as every part of speech.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think, based upon those verses, it's no more or less sinful than saying "crap." Or dang. Or dadgumit.

But in our culture, it elicits a far more visceral reaction than those other words. Probably because it is the only word in the English language that can be used as every part of speech.
i wish i could post my favorite scene from the wire

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

And that was pretty much my point. Fornicating or whatever euphemism may sound better for an audience but the meaning conveyed is the same. Why, dadgumit is as a direct substitute to avoid saying the Lord's name in vain by many people. We could take this to ridiculous extremes, but that's kinda why Jesus got upset with the major sects of the time - for being more concerned with the letter of the law and not the motives of the heart. And that's not just a minor quibble about the whole thing. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by bringing it up, but it appears I have (not you).

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And that was pretty much my point. Fornicating or whatever euphemism may sound better for an audience but the meaning conveyed is the same. Why, dadgumit is as a direct substitute to avoid saying the Lord's name in vain by many people. We could take this to ridiculous extremes, but that's kinda why Jesus got upset with the major sects of the time - for being more concerned with the letter of the law and not the motives of the heart. And that's not just a minor quibble about the whole thing. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone by bringing it up, but it appears I have (not you).
It definitely didn't offend me. It's a subject within the Christian community that has gotten more attention and discussion than in times past. I guess it's worth a discussion but it's not one (personally) I spend a lot of time discussing. Like I originally said. It depends on one's interpretation of scripture that deals with the subject. There are pastors now days who "cuss" from the pulpit because of their interpretation of those verses. To each his own. But your belief on the subject is far from "offensive" to me. I've got other things on my list to be offended about first. That one is a ways down the list. But don't worry, I'll get to it. :wink:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I don't want to derail the thread altogether but I think the NT is pretty clear that we're not even free to do that. Even our response to God's grace is a result of his first action (we love because He first loved us....) and while by His mercy we may grow in grace, we never cease to be simul Justus et peccator - both justified and sinful.

And with that, I'm out. Good thread - thanks, everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you breaking out a Calvin vs Armenian debate? I think you are. I will have to watch this unfold.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You are one of the few who really understood the article...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
To the Youtubes I shall go. (Never watched The Wire).
it's a great show. very easy to binge watch if you're not careful.

search for "jimmy & bunk on a crime scene" it's nsfw (its a murder scene with cadaver pics) and be sure to wear headphones but it is hilarious. 4+ minutes of dialog that is nothing but uses of the f-bomb

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It is certainly true that believers should be patient with one another, especially with those who have recently been born again through faith in Jesus Christ. "...and be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ has forgiven you. Therefore be imitators of God...and walk in love...". At the same time, when appropriate, believers should encourage one another, young and old, to conform to Scriptural admonitions. Continuing the passage from above, "...and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or course jesting...".

As well, the sensibilities and consciences of those for whom language or whatever is a genuine offense should be considered. The NT is speaking specifically about eating meat sacrificed to idols, which in the abstract was fine, but it violated the conscience of some, when it says, "...if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love...It is good not to eat meat or drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles." A current day example would be that many in the U.S., especially the South, believe that drinking alcohol is wrong. IMO, the Scripture is quite clear that this is not the case (yes, drunkeness or being controlled by it is sin), but in many cases it would not be good for the believer to do it as it would offend the consciences of many.

So yes, the motive of the heart is the most important factor in one's actions, but conforming to Biblical admonition and the consideration of others' conscience is also very important.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
It is certainly true that believers should be patient with one another, especially with those who have recently been born again through faith in Jesus Christ. "...and be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ has forgiven you. Therefore be imitators of God...and walk in love...". At the same time, when appropriate, believers should encourage one another, young and old, to conform to Scriptural admonitions. Continuing the passage from above, "...and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or course jesting...".

As well, the sensibilities and consciences of those for whom language or whatever is a genuine offense should be considered. The NT is speaking specifically about eating meat sacrificed to idols, which in the abstract was fine, but it violated the conscience of some, when it says, "...if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love...It is good not to eat meat or drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles." A current day example would be that many in the U.S., especially the South, believe that drinking alcohol is wrong. IMO, the Scripture is quite clear that this is not the case (yes, drunkeness or being controlled by it is sin), but in many cases it would not be good for the believer to do it as it would offend the consciences of many.

So yes, the motive of the heart is the most important factor in one's actions, but conforming to Biblical admonition and the consideration of others' conscience is also very important.
Good point. To a point. Similar to "When in Rome..." Certainly, showing complete disregard for the feelings, conscience, or sensibilities of others can indicate a selfish and uncaring attitude and heart just as surely as being offended by every little thing can indicate a selfish, unforgiving, and pious religiosity divorced from true devotion to the spirit. IOW, it cuts both ways.

Let me just pull out an oldie but a goody here: Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. [FONT=Arimo, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Philippians[/FONT] 2:12-13

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.