Question: Did Bama B-Ball Over or Under Achieve?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Did Bama B-Ball Overor Under Achieve?

Petty, not Wylie (he's at Auburn)

The big man will be Daniel Giddens. Avery has said he would like to have Giddens and Hall on the court together, so DH may still start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For some reason I keep getting those names mixed up, but hopefully people get my drift

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

For me, the team met my expectations for the season. I never thought we were a Big Dance team, but that the NIT was a reasonable expectation - though I'd hoped to play longer. We didn't have an offensive 'go to' guy but I think that problem will be solved next season. All these lamentations from people that seem to think Bama should automatically be in the NCAA tourney just haven't followed the demise of the program to understand the depth of the problems CAJ inherited. I think he's done a remarkable job scratching out the records we've had the past two years given what he's had available to work with. Losing to Pearl twice is an obvious low point but we weren't mentally tough enough yet to withstand the atmosphere in auburn and they shot lights out from 3 in the game here, but we'll win our share of those going forward. If we can boost our scoring average by 10 next season and continue to play a tough brand of defense, good things will be coming our way. I'm looking forward to it.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

there are NBA players making millions of dollars a year to play the game that just arent good FT shooters. it's not like CAJ isnt trying. Some just cant make em. Just like FG kickers in football. Sometimes you either got it or you dont. Also, just for added discussion from above, i'd rather not see Hall and Giddens on the court together. Hall is way too limited on offense and he'd probably get ate alive by opposing 4's. He'd be great with the 2nd unit IMO.. and i agree with Sip on Ingram. I'd love to see him at the 2 and let Sexton run the point.
Honestly, to me Ingram would be better at the three. I don't want my 2 guard falling on the floor so much. I want a shooter who can handle the ball and drive if necessary.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

There were times this season when Taylor and Hall were on the floor at the same time and it was very effective. It depends on the match-ups; I'd like to see Giddens and Hall on the floor at the same time as well. Will Reese or Smith be able to provide quality minutes or does CAJ need to find another big to fit in the rotation for next season?

Sexton may be more natural at the point because of his size but I don't know what his experience his in bringing the ball up the court and passing nor what his ball-handling skills are. I've seen him listed as a point guard and as a shooting guard. I think he has built his reputation as a shooter and scorer.

Ingram has a better shooting percentage than any other player on the team except for the bigs and has the best 3-point percentage other than Shaffer's 4-8. Ingram needs to get in his head that he should shoot when open and try to score more often; he is an ideal 2-guard. He has good size and CAJ has posted him up this season when he was defended by a small guard.

It probably doesn't make too much difference from the 1, 2 and 3 positions once the team is set up for half-court offense.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL

Honestly, to me Ingram would be better at the three. I don't want my 2 guard falling on the floor so much. I want a shooter who can handle the ball and drive if necessary.
I agree with this. Ingram just does not play like a 2. He shoots with that set shot from the outside. I don't think I've ever seen him take a jump shot 3. Can you picture him coming off a screen, catching the ball, and jumping up and shooting and making a three at a critical moment? That's what a lot of the 2s playing in the NCAA tournament can do and I think Bama has a couple of those type players about to come into the program.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Interesting, this is not what my coach preached to us. I guess I need to lighten up a bit. I guess I will just feel sorry for our players the next time I watch them go 5 for 17 from the FT line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
They go 5-17 because we only have about two shooters on the current team, if that many.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

They go 5-17 because we only have about two shooters on the current team, if that many.
Against MSU the team was 31 for 35. 89% for FT. Two weeks later they shot 35%FT for the game. The players can shoot FT. The mystery is why they don't do it consistently. I think practice can improve shooting and all other aspects of a player's game, no matter what level they play at.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Preseason, I saw a number of fans who thought this would be a tournament team. However I never thought that was realistic. Based on the talent and makeup of the roster, I expected this to be a rebuilding year with an end result of about .500. Based on my expectations of the season holistically, I'd say we overachieved.

However, I think the season can be divided into two chapters. The non-conference schedule which was a gross underachievement, and the conference schedule which was a gross overachievement.

When I look at the non conference schedule, there's no shame in losing to Oregon and Dayton. Those should have been expected as both teams are strong tournament teams. However, losing to Valpo, Clemson, and Texas are huge disappointments. None of those three teams were even close to making the tournament. We were more talented, and in the case of Texas, we were one of only 11 wins. You win those three, and we are a 22 win team on the bubble with a competitive RPI. Those types of games in the future will be the deciding factor on whether CAJ can fully turn around the team. We have to be able to pull off the 50/50 non-conference games to get the attention of the committee.

As to the conference schedule, we beat tournament teams in Vanderbilt on the road, USCe twice, including once on the road. Plus we hung tight with Kentucky twice. Yes, we lost to Auburn twice, and we ended the regular season losing 3 of our last 4. Still I view the positives to outweigh the negatives. Even after an underwhelming nonconference schedule, we nearly brought ourselves back into the bubble conversation. A few things go differently, and we are dancing. That to me is an overall win.

Next year though, I'll be past the point of being fine with moral victories. I think next year we will finally have the balance of talent we need to be a tournament team. To me, next year will be the first real example of Johnson's coaching ability as it will finally be a team of his construction. I have faith that he can succeed, but I'll find next year to be a huge letdown if we aren't a more relevant conversation piece come the postseason.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Consistently inconsistent.

Got to start winning ALL the games we should. Can't have the stretches where the guys disappear for games at a time.

I agree but B-Ball is and always will be a streaky game at any level. I was a typical point guard (HS). Small. Quick. Good ball handler. Not a scoring guard but I had my stretches where the stop n' pop played nothing but string music. Other games against equal or lesser talent I'd throw up air balls and bricks. So in Bama's case when you have your 2 main players off at the same time during the season as well as come out flat and tired after a good SEC Tourney run you'll see what we did in the NIT. The incoming talent should help tremendously if they're willing to buy in and keep a team first attitude.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I agree but B-Ball is and always will be a streaky game at any level. I was a typical point guard (HS). Small. Quick. Good ball handler. Not a scoring guard but I had my stretches where the stop n' pop played nothing but string music. Other games against equal or lesser talent I'd throw up air balls and bricks. So in Bama's case when you have your 2 main players off at the same time during the season as well as come out flat and tired after a good SEC Tourney run you'll see what we did in the NIT. The incoming talent should help tremendously if they're willing to buy in and keep a team first attitude.
That is the key, for this current class and the rest of them going forward. We've seen how that's played out with the football program and it normally equated the difference between championship seasons and seasons where we underachieved. If they buy into what CAJ and staff is teaching them, they will be not only successful at Bama but there's a good shot they will also be successful at whatever next level they chose to pursue.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I think we have underachieved for nearly 10-12 years now. Watching Richmond, and now Princeton, ND, Wichita State, etc.... there are tons of kids we could recruit and get, that are NOT "superior athletes" but maybe can shoot, play D, pass effectively, and are smart basketball players.
I've thought about this post for a few days and have come up with a possible explanation.

It comes down to coaches recruiting players for the system and then developing them. CMG recruited athletes, not basketball players. Grant recruited basketball players but failed to develop the guys he got (and the ones that actually stayed).

Avery has gotten some of the guys he inherited to be better players. Jimmie got better under Avery. He was never going to be great, but Avery got him to be better. Avery has also been able to recruit players for his system. Braxton and Ar'Mond are both the type players we need to run what Avery wants.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

The only disappointment I have about this year is the way the season finished. From looking at the schedule I had set 18 wins as a goal and they exceeded that. They went farther in the SECT than they have in awhile, and they were seeded higher in the NIT than last year. Although the RPI was down a wee bit (because of the schedule not being quite as difficult), overall I think this was a better year.

On the other hand, it is so disheartening to see us lose these first round NIT games the way we have. It makes you think that the guys aren't as well prepared as they need to be, and that's not good.

Hopefully next year we see another step forward.

rtr

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

The only disappointment I have about this year is the way the season finished. From looking at the schedule I had set 18 wins as a goal and they exceeded that. They went farther in the SECT than they have in awhile, and they were seeded higher in the NIT than last year. Although the RPI was down a wee bit (because of the schedule not being quite as difficult), overall I think this was a better year.

On the other hand, it is so disheartening to see us lose these first round NIT games the way we have. It makes you think that the guys aren't as well prepared as they need to be, and that's not good.

Hopefully next year we see another step forward.

rtr
i dont see why people think this way. it's like an entitlement. Nothing about our team says "guaranteed win". We were capable of losing to anyone because of lack of talent. Has nothing to do with not being prepared.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.