Question: Did Bama B-Ball Over or Under Achieve?

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I've been a casual basketball fan for many years but the older I get the more I find myself watching sports as opposed to participation and physical activity. So I wonder what the Bama fan base thinks of the season. Did we achieve as expected, over achieve or under achieve. I ask this because reading the "Richmond vs Bama" thread I see positive, negative and neutral reaction to the loss and the events leading up to it.

What say you?

RTR!!!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Did Bama B-Ball Overor Under Achieve?

We underachieve every year. At this time of year, every year, we look forward to over achieving next season and it never happens..

Last edited:

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Re: Did Bama B-Ball Overor Under Achieve?

Being swept, and probably kept out of tournament, by the 11 ranked team in the conference kept it from being a slight overachievement. The fact that it was Awbarn sucks a LOT.
Pleased with the enthusiasm and recruiting momentum CAJ has brought to the program though; time to take a step up next year.
RTR

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

This season is about what I expected. If we had made the NCAA, it would have been overachieving. If we had missed the NIT, it would have been underachieving. At least that is how I see this year. Next year, we should at least make the field and get a first round win to make the field of 32. A sweet sixteen appearance would probably be considered overachieving at this point since we will be counting on a lot of young guys. However, I am, of course, hoping for a sweet sixteen next year.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

This season is about what I expected. If we had made the NCAA, it would have been overachieving. If we had missed the NIT, it would have been underachieving. At least that is how I see this year. Next year, we should at least make the field and get a first round win to make the field of 32. A sweet sixteen appearance would probably be considered overachieving at this point since we will be counting on a lot of young guys. However, I am, of course, hoping for a sweet sixteen next year.
I agree with this. Finishing 5th in conference isn't too bad and getting to the Semis and giving Kentucky a good game. Putting them on notice for next year, we're not far off

Next year we will have some serious depth and some decent guys might not be getting any minutes

1-Ingram/Petty?
2-Sexton
3-Key
4-Hall
5-Giddens
6-Ingram/Petty
7-Armond Davis/Norris?
8-Jones
9-Reese
10-Avery Jr? If we do 10 man..

Nick King?
Brandon Austin?
Davis or Norris?

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I'm going to say slightly overachieved. I was expecting help from King and Hale. No way to know what impact they would have had over the season; player rotations in early games were major experiments. I don't think Hale was ever completely healed physically and I think his head got away from him.

The grad transfers helped a lot. Collins was inconsistent shooting but had some really good games and was tenacious on defense. Olaniyan rebounded but could not pass and score like I expected from King and a healthy Hale.

When is the last time Bama has not been hit with injuries? Is this normal for all teams or just bad luck over the years?

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

In hindsight, its I'm tempted to say that they underachieved since they were in so many games they had a great chance of winning. But part of the reason they lost was the fact they didn't have consistent shooters and injuries. So with that in mind they did the best they could with what they had. The program is still in transition so 2018-2019 will be the year to gauge where we are as a program.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

Before the season started i figured an NIT invite would be an accomplishment.. As bad as we were last season and losing our 1 and only scorer to actually be a better overall team IMO is over achievement. Our team defense is awesome but we have some guys who are not good individual defenders at all and have awful defensive footwork. thats some great coaching taking what we have and making it work. I'm interested in seeing who plays where next season.. I would like to see Ingram work on and move to SG...doubt CAJ does that but i'd love to see him with Sexton running the show.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

We exceeded our preseason predicted conference standing. Overachieved in that respect. Personally, I think we slightly underachieved.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com

Pretty much agree with most, par for the course. I think we have more expectations at this point for next year than most of our previously losing in the first round of the NIT years because of next year's top 5 recruiting class. I'll be ready!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Way over achieved.
For this team to win 19 games and finish fifth in the conference is nothing short of amazing.
One of the best coaching jobs in America done by Avery Johnson
I've written this before, but our upper class men were average to below average talent wise and basketball player wise.
We had two centers who turned the ball over almost every time they tried to accomplish more than one dribble, and couldn't shoot free throws.
We had upperclassmen guards who were horrible three point shooters and average to below average two point shooters.
And our upperclassmen forwards were either hot as all heck or colder than all heck. There was never an in between.
So this team basically depended on two freshmen for leadership, to run our offense, and to provide the offensive spark we needed.
All this against a very difficult SEC schedule and pre-conference schedule as well.
Yet their great effort made the team way better at the end of the year than we were at the first of the year so we showed improvement.
I honestly think that was a tremendous accomplishment.
You can NOT beat the big boys until you get comparable "basketball talent". It's that simple It's on the way to combine with the young ones we already have, but my goodness give them time to at least get off the bus before kicking the team to the curb.
As for the loss against Richmond, they had far far better basketball players than we did. Just because you're bigger and faster than your opponent doesn't mean you're better basketball players.
I'm very very proud of this team and in my opinion, yes, they over accomplished. They certainly shouldn't have disappointed anybody. That's ridiculous.
sip

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

What were some expectations if people think this team under achieved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I thought we underachieved purely on the basis of free throw shooting. Had we focused more on it this season we would be dancing. Admittedly, I am not very forgiving when it comes to a person's ability to hit free throws. You can't be a good golfer if you don't commit to practicing putting. There is a certain instinct that comes shooting, ball handling, and passing - not so with FT shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I thought we underachieved purely on the basis of free throw shooting. Had we focused more on it this season we would be dancing. Admittedly, I am not very forgiving when it comes to a person's ability to hit free throws. You can't be a good golfer if you don't commit to practicing putting. There is a certain instinct that comes shooting, ball handling, and passing - not so with FT shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
You can either shoot a basketball or you can't. The mechanics are developed by elementary school teacher/coaches, middle school coaches, and to some degree, high school coaches who try as hard as they can to help the player. But if you get to the collegiate level and can't shoot free throws, practice all you want. By that time, if the mechanics aren't there no coach can help you.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

You can either shoot a basketball or you can't. The mechanics are developed by elementary school teacher/coaches, middle school coaches, and to some degree, high school coaches who try as hard as they can to help the player. But if you get to the collegiate level and can't shoot free throws, practice all you want. By that time, if the mechanics aren't there no coach can help you.
Some guys just stink at it. Look at Shaq, he couldn't hit a free throw to save his life.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012

I believe we were pretty much on target in conference, if you can look over such a glaring deficiency as FT shooting. Ball movement in the half court improved which was putrid early on. I believe we underachieved in the preconference (looking at completely winnable games like Texas and the poor showing in Vegas). I hope we're able to build team chemistry much earlier next season than this one which should be inevitable with the core of the team having another year together.

Someone was trying to forecast playing rotation. I think/hope Giddens is ready to make a big impact at 5 next year. I don't think Herb Jones will show up ready to yank the 3 away from Norris right off, and I'm unsure Reese will be physically ready to challenge Hall. Players like Davis and Jr. are the ones who will more than likely be relegated out of the regular rotation.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

If you think this team under achieved on a macro-level, then your expectations were simply not grounded in reality. If you feel we lost some specifics games that we should have won, that's one thing - but the end result just isn't a surprise to me.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012

Referring to a specific portion of the season would naturally imply "non-macro".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.