Tom Crean out at Indiana

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2017/3/1...-of-intercollegiate-athletics-fred-glass.aspx

After deliberative thought and evaluation, including multiple meetings with Tom about the future, I have decided to make a change in the leadership of our men's basketball program. Tom Crean brought us through one of the most challenging periods in IU basketball history, led his players to many successes in the classroom and on the court and represented our university with class and integrity. While winning two outright Big Ten titles in five years and being named Big Ten Coach of the Year, Tom worked tirelessly to develop great young men and successful teams. However, ultimately, we seek more consistent, high levels of success, and we will not shy away from our expectations. Tom is a good man and a good coach and we owe him a great debt of gratitude for his many positive contributions to Indiana basketball. We wish him well.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
If I'm LSU, I'm making a pitch for Crean. He'd be the most successful coach to date they could get. There aren't a ton of high profile openings, so they make him a good offer and he could land there. Also heard his name come up for NC State when Gottfried got axed. Wonder if that's still on their radar.

As to IU, they'll be fine. I've already heard Billy Donovan, Steve Alford, and Archie Miller's names all come up, and the seats been open for only about 24 hours. Alford supposedly expressed interest in the job. If there's indeed mutual interest, my money would be on him.

Edit: NC State has reached an agreement to sign the head coach of UNC Wilmington. So apparently Crean wasn't still on their radar.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Yep. But I saw a stat from Mike & Mike this morning that over the past 5 years, the state of Indiana had 14 high school players on ESPN's top 100 list. Only 1 ended up at IU. Not good.
Yeah....same situation with Mizzou. Tons of talent every year coming out of the St. Louis and Kansas City high schools but hardly any end up at Mizzou. Now that they hired Martin, supposedly there is quite a buzz.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
What has Crean ever really done, outside of a year with Dwayne Wade?

IU had to absolutely get this hire right, they are in danger of he's becoming the basketball version of Nebraska football.

IU fans are absolutely right to expect much better than four NC double a tournament in nine years

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.