Link: There's Room for Experimentation with Alabama Offensive Line This Spring

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
my favorite subject. They didn't mention but I've read that the new play thing (Alex Leatherwood) could play guard or tackle. So if Cotton can't play guard then he seems like he would be the first man up for the right tackle just from an experience standpoint, but who knows if that holds. He suggests Dallas Warmack might be the next man up at Guard. Don't know if that's inside info or just a guess. He did mention and I recall reading last year that some felt the red shirted Scott Lashley would be a contender at right tackle.

We actually have so much depth at OL I wonder if we shouldn't move one of them to the DL. Like Brandon Kennedy had some good 40 times. He's 6' 2" and around 300 so he should have an excellent base. Or possibly the one they mentioned in the lifting numbers article, Deonte Brown. Good luck moving that guy.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
my favorite subject. They didn't mention but I've read that the new play thing (Alex Leatherwood) could play guard or tackle. So if Cotton can't play guard then he seems like he would be the first man up for the right tackle just from an experience standpoint, but who knows if that holds. He suggests Dallas Warmack might be the next man up at Guard. Don't know if that's inside info or just a guess. He did mention and I recall reading last year that some felt the red shirted Scott Lashley would be a contender at right tackle.

We actually have so much depth at OL I wonder if we shouldn't move one of them to the DL. Like Brandon Kennedy had some good 40 times. He's 6' 2" and around 300 so he should have an excellent base. Or possibly the one they mentioned in the lifting numbers article, Deonte Brown. Good luck moving that guy.
We may see some OL "trying out" DL. Probably one guy at most, but even that would help depth if it stuck.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I expect several different combination ON OL and DL. Guys... Remember Daboll is learning the spread offense... Lot wouldn't necessary change, but probably will see him using the run game to set up the pass as opposed to kiffin.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I don't think we will see Cotton back at RG. That experiment ran it's course and wasn't successful at all. He'll get a shot at tackle with the others lashley/Baker/leatherwood.

I wouldn't be shocked if they shifted Ross over to the right side, so that we won't have two new starters on the same side. Having a guy like him next to a new starter at RT to make sure he's getting all the keys etc could help out significantly. Then we've got a new guy at RG - with the strength numbers he posted it'd be pretty awesome to see him mauling some folks in there if he's got the technique.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't think we will see Cotton back at RG. That experiment ran it's course and wasn't successful at all. He'll get a shot at tackle with the others lashley/Baker/leatherwood.

I wouldn't be shocked if they shifted Ross over to the right side, so that we won't have two new starters on the same side. Having a guy like him next to a new starter at RT to make sure he's getting all the keys etc could help out significantly. Then we've got a new guy at RG - with the strength numbers he posted it'd be pretty awesome to see him mauling some folks in there if he's got the technique.
I have heard good things about Lashley and Saban said when he signed he liked his feet and bend. Players had good things to say about him too while on scout team.

Not sure on Baker. I saw on his JC video he was standing straight up in his pass protection stance with no bend at all. He ran a 6.12 40 which is really slow even for an OL. Hope he works out but......

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
My son played OL and coaches; he can pick up what's going on at the line of scrimmage. I, on the other hand, have a tough time judging who is doing good or bad except when one gets obviously beat or penalized a lot. I do recognize when an offensive lineman picks up a defensive back or linebacker beyond the line of scrimmage; ones that do this well stand out.

I don't know how coaches make decisions on who plays on OL and really enjoy input on this board from knowledgeable folks.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you get the best 5 on the field at one time, you will have 4 great tackles and one very good center playing at once this season.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
If you get the best 5 on the field at one time, you will have 4 great tackles and one very good center playing at once this season.
true - but we learned last year that a good tackle doesn't always make a good guard. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I'll settle for the two best OT's and the two best OGs.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
RTR91, have you heard anything about Richie Pettibone? I know he blew out his knee last year but I haven't seen anything on where he stands with his rehab. He was recruited as a guard and as said,RG is a position of need.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I just want another line like 2012.

That's not asking too much, right?

On paper, the talent is there - if the execution, discipline, and most importantly the attitude of the 2012 OL shows up, we'll be set.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Despite all the depth, I feel like we vastly underperformed on the o-line in 2016. Experimentation could be a good thing.
I agree - that's the thing about the OL. It only takes one of the five to not be on par or not do his job on each play and it doesn't matter if the other 4 are all-americans. Some/most of the issues we have had with blocking the last two years were at the RG slot and our LT playing lights out sometimes, not as great other times (I really think the only times we saw his best was when we played some of the top-tier DEs and he was super focused, and the rest of the time he played a bit like he was bored) and that results in an OL that doesn't perform as well as the level of talent should indicate.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Despite all the depth, I feel like we vastly underperformed on the o-line in 2016. Experimentation could be a good thing.
You got pretty bad play from the RG position, your center had to grow into his role and your LT had more brain farts than the rest of the team combined. But you have 3 guys coming in this year that would start on 99% of the teams in college football. You almost have to get better.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This thread in it of itself talking about moving guys around and getting the best 5 on the field just reminds me of how AMAZING Barrett Jones was here.

The guy was an All-American at RG, LT, and C!!! Won the Outland AND the Rimington. Not only was his versatile but was ELITE wherever you put him. Just an insanely Great OL. I know we've had plenty of great ones but Barrett HAS to be considered for 'Best Overall' OL we've ever had.

But hardly anyone has ever been that good no matter where you line them up. Sometime you can't get the 'Best Five' guys on the field because a Guard can't play Tackle well or vice versa. Our weakness has definitely been Guard play the last few years. The Center and Tackles have been pretty solid. We mainly have got to stop having false starts and snap infractions. I swear we even had a False start BY the Center on one play this year. I couldn't believe it. The CENTER flinched/started moving before HE snapped the ball. I can't even talk about LT.....I lost count of how many times I threw my hat across the room because of his 'brain farts'.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This thread in it of itself talking about moving guys around and getting the best 5 on the field just reminds me of how AMAZING Barrett Jones was here.

The guy was an All-American at RG, LT, and C!!! Won the Outland AND the Rimington. Not only was his versatile but was ELITE wherever you put him. Just an insanely Great OL. I know we've had plenty of great ones but Barrett HAS to be considered for 'Best Overall' OL we've ever had.

But hardly anyone has ever been that good no matter where you line them up. Sometime you can't get the 'Best Five' guys on the field because a Guard can't play Tackle well or vice versa. Our weakness has definitely been Guard play the last few years. The Center and Tackles have been pretty solid. We mainly have got to stop having false starts and snap infractions. I swear we even had a False start BY the Center on one play this year. I couldn't believe it. The CENTER flinched/started moving before HE snapped the ball. I can't even talk about LT.....I lost count of how many times I threw my hat across the room because of his 'brain farts'.
Not only was he a great player, he is also the classiest players we've had in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.