Vegan climbs Mt. Everest to prove vegans can do anything...dies

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
http://time.com/4344556/mount-everest-death-climbing-vegan/

An Australian woman who set out to climb Mount Everest to prove that “vegans can do anything” died Saturday after developing altitude sickness.

Maria Strydom, 34, had reached the final camp from the summit before she and her husband, Robert Gropel, both began suffering from high-altitude pulmonary edema, which caused fluid to build up in Strydom’s brain, the Washington Post reports.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Well, good on her I guess. I'm crass with this response simply because when your stance is based off this one thing, to prove your one point.....and you fail? Well then boom, game on to mock you and your tragedy

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Dying while trying to climb a mountain isn't exactly a difficult accomplishment...doesn't even require a particular diet (nor does it require stupidity - it happens to great climbers on occasion).

It's sort of sad and yet sort of......ironic maybe????

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That was a pretty bad report. Pulmonary edema is a fluid buildup in the lungs. Cerebral edema is a buildup of fluid in the brain. You can actually have both but the reporter doesn't know the difference, so we don't really know what killed her...

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
The good news is, that "first" is still out there for some vegan climber wanting to make the statement.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I don't trust vegans.

Mountains they do not cooperate. Mountains do not discriminate (but they do tap for mana :wink:), and anybody, ANYBODY foolish enough to climb Everest, well.....their fate is deserved.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I definitely do not want to ever make light of someone losing their life. But considering this particular situation it's hard not to have a part of me chuckle a bit. This reminds me of one of my wife's cousins who promotes her vegan lifestyle on front street all the time. Always reminding anyone who will listen how much healthier her family is by doing so. Yet the "funny" thing is guess whose kids are constantly sick and catch every little cold under the sun? Yeah, hers.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I definitely do not want to ever make light of someone losing their life. But considering this particular situation it's hard not to have a part of me chuckle a bit. This reminds me of one of my wife's cousins who promotes her vegan lifestyle on front street all the time. Always reminding anyone who will listen how much healthier her family is by doing so. Yet the "funny" thing is guess whose kids are constantly sick and catch every little cold under the sun? Yeah, hers.
i heard a joke recently. if a person is a marine, vegan who does crossfit. What do they tell people about first?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thing is, among climber, Everest is not considered that difficult, except for the summit being in the "death zone." However, many other peaks in the Himalayas and the Karakorum both have many more difficult peaks, K2 and Nanga Parbat come to mind. The only really technical maneuver is the "Hillary Step" near the top, which forms bottlenecks, particularly when so many people are being "guided" who don't belong up there...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
okay, somebody had to post it

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I went up Mt. Evans a few years ago and that was only 14,256 feet or so above sea level. I couldn't imagine doing Everest after feeling how bad 14k feet was.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.