MIZ VS BAMA Game 3

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Some of this is coaching. I do not care if it is their first year.
Shaking my head at the comedy of errors....

In top 4 MIZ gets a leadoff single followed by an error by Alexander giving them 1st n 3rd nobody out. They get a foul out and then pick off the runner at 1st. Too bad they forget about the runner at 3rd and he scores while they chase around the runner at first.

MIZ 5-4 going to bottom 4.

BAMA comes back and ties it playing a little NL small-ball. Walk to Vance, Henry HBP, nice sac bunt by Alexander followed by DeVinny getting an RBI sac to 2nd.

All square going to the 5th.

Top 5 MIZ gets 3 and it was really bad news bears in the field! MISSOURI - TOP OF 5TH

Walk, couple of errors and a hit leads to 3 runs. 8-5 MIZ going to the bottom of the 5th.

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Not saying the new coaching staff is blameless, but let's give them a couple years to see what happens. The last bunch has left the cupboard bare, and they surely didn't receive great coaching and development under the last regime. I was hopeful that there would be at least some improvement this year, but it won't happen overnight no matter who is at the helm.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Not saying the new coaching staff is blameless, but let's give them a couple years to see what happens. The last bunch has left the cupboard bare, and they surely didn't receive great coaching and development under the last regime. I was hopeful that there would be at least some improvement this year, but it won't happen overnight no matter who is at the helm.
No doubt they don't have all the talent in the world. However, hearing what the players/parents say about the coaches makes one wonder if they were the right hire. I thought it was getting better but, after hearing a few things from this weekend, not so sure. When you hear of parents and others griping about why isn't so and so playing makes me wonder their is a lot of issues in the clubhouse!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Doesn't matter how bare the cupboard is. They DO NOT play the fundamentals.

How do kids get this far, and still make those kind of mistakes?

bamaguy333

Feb 26, 2017
This team minus 3 pitchers, only one starter, won 32 games, had winning record. 15-15 in conference. When HC is more focused on HBP than actual hitting - could be issue? About to see 90+ from pitchers, not so sure I would be willing to lean in and get HBP.
Time will tell...

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Agree there must be issues but I do not put much stock in parents whining about lack of playing time. Coached too many teams and have seen and heard it all.
No doubt they don't have all the talent in the world. However, hearing what the players/parents say about the coaches makes one wonder if they were the right hire. I thought it was getting better but, after hearing a few things from this weekend, not so sure. When you hear of parents and others griping about why isn't so and so playing makes me wonder their is a lot of issues in the clubhouse!

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
So MIZ batter gets hit on a slow curve with no attempt to avoid (one that Charles Barkley's fat butt could have avoided), and 'Blue' gives him the bag! Very hard for this team to win when the rules are applied differently to both teams. MIZ pitchers have had a much deeper and wider zone. Approaching Kentucky ref bad!
For clarification purposes, the college rule is that if a pitch is in the batters box, the hitter does not have to make an attempt to avoid the pitch, he can simply let it hit him and head to first base. However, the hitter cannot lean into the pitch even if it is in the box. Chandler leaned in and stuck his elbow in front of the ball. The Mizzou player simply stood like a statue and let a pitch well in the box hit him. The ump got both of those calls right. That being said, there were some calls Friday and Sunday that had me scratching my head (I was unable to be there on Saturday). Even if those calls had gone in our favor, I really don't think it would have made any difference in the outcome of those games.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
For clarification purposes, the college rule is that if a pitch is in the batters box, the hitter does not have to make an attempt to avoid the pitch, he can simply let it hit him and head to first base. However, the hitter cannot lean into the pitch even if it is in the box. Chandler leaned in and stuck his elbow in front of the ball. The Mizzou player simply stood like a statue and let a pitch well in the box hit him. The ump got both of those calls right. That being said, there were some calls Friday and Sunday that had me scratching my head (I was unable to be there on Saturday). Even if those calls had gone in our favor, I really don't think it would have made any difference in the outcome of those games.
Two sources say he has to make an attempt: rule 8-2-d is pretty clear.... (see link 2 page 5)

http://www.stevetheump.com/ncaa_bats.htm

http://www.ccnyathletics.com/custompages/sports information/2014-2015/baseball/BA16.pdf

We probably don't win but, makes it harder when blue isn't fair. I did like they made MIZ' RF stay in the box yesterday. He was wandering 1/2 way to China the previous games.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Two sources say he has to make an attempt: rule 8-2-d is pretty clear.... (see link 2 page 5)

http://www.stevetheump.com/ncaa_bats.htm

http://www.ccnyathletics.com/custompages/sports information/2014-2015/baseball/BA16.pdf

We probably don't win but, makes it harder when blue isn't fair. I did like they made MIZ' RF stay in the box yesterday. He was wandering 1/2 way to China the previous games.
What you cited came from the 2015-2016 rule book. According to the 2017-2018 NCAA Rule Book that I saw, Rule 8-2-d was changed to say, "A batter may not make a movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch and must avoid being hit whenever possible." If the batter’s action is deemed intentional then he is not awarded first base. The vast majority of umpires are going to give the batter first base unless they move into the pitch like Chandler did.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
What you cited came from the 2015-2016 rule book. According to the 2017-2018 NCAA Rule Book that I saw, Rule 8-2-d was changed to say, "A batter may not make a movement to intentionally get hit by the pitch and must avoid being hit whenever possible." If the batter’s action is deemed intentional then he is not awarded first base. The vast majority of umpires are going to give the batter first base unless they move into the pitch like Chandler did.
The new rules still say must attempt to get out of the way if possible.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BA18.pdf

Regardless, after watching the replays from Sunday, both should have been back in the box.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
That is the rule that I quoted. The official interpretation, according to the mumpire's manual, is that if the pitch is in the batter's box, the batter doesn't have to make an effort to avoid the pitch so long as he doesn't move into the pitch. I'm not saying that I agree with the interpretation (I don't), but that is how it is applied.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
That is the rule that I quoted. The official interpretation, according to the mumpire's manual, is that if the pitch is in the batter's box, the batter doesn't have to make an effort to avoid the pitch so long as he doesn't move into the pitch. I'm not saying that I agree with the interpretation (I don't), but that is how it is applied.
If that is how they apply it, then take the "must attempt to get out of the way" out of the rule.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.