JessN: Spring preview: Not many holes, but tweaks are coming

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Speaking of Mac, looks like he did well once on campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just wonder if CNS was seeing the change coming way back during his recruitment and told MJ to stay committed no matter how the offense looked at the time. He's definitely more in the mold of a AJM type player than Jalen or Tag.

BTW, not saying the dual threats can't work in the new system, but we know what a guy like AJ did in the old one.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
The recruiting services had Moses as an OLB, as well as all the other LBs in the class other than Allen who is listed inside. Oddly enough, it's likely to be the exact opposite of where they line up at Bama, because Allen right now is slated to get a look at OLB with the others playing ILB, although Cowan could get looks at both.
We projected all three as OLBs in February, although either Moses or Allen could play both positions. Saban has surprised people recently in putting guys outside that you'd think would be inside, and vice versa. We'll know soon enough.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just wonder if CNS was seeing the change coming way back during his recruitment and told MJ to stay committed no matter how the offense looked at the time. He's definitely more in the mold of a AJM type player than Jalen or Tag.

BTW, not saying the dual threats can't work in the new system, but we know what a guy like AJ did in the old one.
I doubt that had anything to do with it. When Mac committed, Jalen had yet to win the starting job. Fall camp hadn't even started yet. Bama was taking two QBs this class no matter what. Tua and Mac were the two identified as the ones Lane wanted, so Bama went after them. Luckily, they both stayed committed after Lane left.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We projected all three as OLBs in February, although either Moses or Allen could play both positions. Saban has surprised people recently in putting guys outside that you'd think would be inside, and vice versa. We'll know soon enough.
Interesting - he spent his entire HS career as an off-the-line 'backer and he's said Saban and Pruitt want to start him out inside at Will. What's the thought process on why he'd move to OLB in our system and play up on the LOS directly taking on TEs and OTs and with his hand in the dirt a lot of the time?

We will know today - at least the initial intention.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Great preview of so much that is unknown. Every year I think how are we going to replace such and such and then look at certain areas and think we're set there, no worries there. Then the year starts, and there are always surprises in what I thought might be weak areas and sometimes disappointments in what I thought would be strong areas. The list of names and the talent on our roster must leave some other coaches just drooling. It really is amazing at certain positions. I know playing in the SEC is beyond tough week in and week out and starting out the year with FSU is certainly a huge challenge, but with our coaching staff and talent there is no reason not to be playing for it all again in the beginning of 2018. I'm sure Coach Saban would agree. :wink:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Not to be pushy, but shouldn't you be warming up the plane? It's almost April!!

Great preview of so much that is unknown. Every year I think how are we going to replace such and such and then look at certain areas and think we're set there, no worries there. Then the year starts, and there are always surprises in what I thought might be weak areas and sometimes disappointments in what I thought would be strong areas. The list of names and the talent on our roster must leave some other coaches just drooling. It really is amazing at certain positions. I know playing in the SEC is beyond tough week in and week out and starting out the year with FSU is certainly a huge challenge, but with our coaching staff and talent there is no reason not to be playing for it all again in the beginning of 2018. I'm sure Coach Saban would agree. :wink:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Thanks for the excellent article as always Jess..

I was truly hoping Elliot Baker was going to come in & anchor down the right side of the O-Line, as Jonah anchors down the left side.. Allowing our O-Line to gel early on in practice as a unit heading into Fall Camp..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Thanks for the excellent article as always Jess..

I was truly hoping Elliot Baker was going to come in & anchor down the right side of the O-Line, as Jonah anchors down the left side.. Allowing our O-Line to gel early on in practice as a unit heading into Fall Camp..

That will happen... Everyone gotta start at the bottom and work their way up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.