JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Spring preview: Not many holes, but tweaks are coming
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
March 19th, 2017 11:18 PM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief March 19, 2017 Even as Alabama threatens to populate entire rounds of the 2017 NFL Draft, there aren’t many holes headed into spring camp. But that doesn’t mean changes aren’t coming, especially in regards to Alabama’s offensive philosophy. Additionally, Alabama has work to do on its offensive line, and after […]

Read More Here

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Getting me excited about what I figured was a likely rebuilding year. A lot of talent, good coaching....and a tad bit of luck....and......we could be right back on top of the mountain again.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If anything, Mac Jones may have gone from a satellite’s orbit to right in the thick of things, at least for the backup job. It’s unlikely Tagovailoa or Jones will unseat Hurts, but competition for the second-string job will be fierce.
When Mac announced he was able to enroll in February, I quickly started thinking he would have the chance to be the backup this year solely based on his background. Not only is he a right-handed QB like Jalen, he would be easier to toss into a game in an emergency to run the system due to his familiarity.

Tua will need time to learn things. Plus, him being a left-handed QB might change up the offense some.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

Returning:
Jonah Williams, Scott Lashley, Matt Womack, Lester Cotton

New additions: Alex Leatherwood, Elliot Baker

Analysis: Competition will be fierce here, as Jonah Williams is expected to move to a new position (LT) and the rest compete for his vacated right tackle spot. Elliot Baker was expected to lead the competition there but a poor showing at Alabama’s recent underclassman pro day, where Baker’s 40-yard dash time was clocked at more than 6 seconds, has resulted in some concern. Scott Lashley is still a bit raw but he may be the best pure tackle prospect on the team, which would be quite a feat given that Williams is still around. Matt Womack and Lester Cotton both have the ideal body type and makeup for right tackle, but Cotton got things off to a bad start in 2017 by being arrested for drug possession in February. The other major question is how long can Alabama keep the redshirt on Alex Leatherwood, who figures to be in competition for both tackle and both guard jobs. Cotton’s arrest was for a very minor issue, so don’t expect his candidacy to be negatively impacted in any significant way. That makes the upcoming battle among the remaining five players one of the most entertaining of the spring.

OFFENSIVE INTERIOR LINE

Returning:
Bradley Bozeman, Ross Pierschbacher, Josh Casher, J.C. Hassenauer, Dallas Warmack, Brandon Kennedy, Richie Petitbon, Chris Owens, Deonte Brown, Jacob Probasco*

New additions: None

Analysis: There’s a ton of talent here but aside from center Bradley Bozeman, consistency is lacking. Bozeman may end up being the only returning starter to hold onto his job or at least stay in the same position, despite the fact there are three starters returning to the line overall. At the end of last year, Ross Pierschbacher was back at left guard after beginning the season at right guard, and Josh Casher was pushing Korren Kirven at right guard before a broken foot during bowl practices ended his year. Assuming Bozeman holds onto center, Pierschbacher will fight primarily with Casher, Brandon Kennedy and Dallas Warmack for the two guard spots. Richie Petitbon is trying to rebound from injuries that slowed his early development, while redshirts Chris Owens and Deonte Brown are big, blue-collar maulers who have yet to get an opportunity. The wild card is reserve center J.C. Hassenauer, who probably hasn’t developed as much as was hoped, and suddenly finds himself a senior. If he comes on with a strong spring performance, he could shuffle Bozeman out to a guard spot and then the entire line might be new compared to 2016. Alabama needs another body to step up at center, and walk-on Jacob Probasco might fill that role. Casher is also a possibility there. Three of the tackles, Lester Cotton, Matt Womack and Alex Leatherwood, have varying degrees of potential as guards, and Cotton is a former starter at guard. The problem here, across the board, is that when Alabama struggled running the ball in 2016, it was typically because of inconsistency within the offensive line, and particularly from guard to guard. Expect to see a lot of movement and experimentation here before the coaches settle on a rotation.
My takeaway - the OL grouping might give us an idea of what the offense will be in 2017. If the Gs are both maulers like Owens and Brown, we are clearly going to be more of heavy run team.

One thing I keep reminding myself: we thought the OL was set after last spring. Then, Bozeman starts day one of fall camp at center and never moved back to G.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

Returning:
Anfernee Jennings, Terrell Hall, Christian Miller, Jamey Mosley, Mekhi Brown, Shawn Jennings

New additions: Dylan Moses
Is Moses playing OLB? Had this discussion in another thread, and we found articles indicating he's playing ILB. But I've seen some say he is playing OLB.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
My takeaway - the OL grouping might give us an idea of what the offense will be in 2017. If the Gs are both maulers like Owens and Brown, we are clearly going to be more of heavy run team.

One thing I keep reminding myself: we thought the OL was set after last spring. Then, Bozeman starts day one of fall camp at center and never moved back to G.

I hope so. I am very excited with this stable of RB. With Hurts running ability and if he can improve on his throwing, this could be a very exciting offense from a slow death, anaconda squeezing standpoint (which I thought I didn't like as much until it was gone...i.e. the past couple of years).

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Is Moses playing OLB? Had this discussion in another thread, and we found articles indicating he's playing ILB. But I've seen some say he is playing OLB.

Everything I have seen has said Moses was going to be starting out inside, likely first at Will.

smilinc

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 9, 2006
Jess.... I have been a huge tide fan since 1957. I am a constant reader (Lurker) on here... just wanted to express my appreciation to you for your excellent work. I and the crowd here in Texas think you are tops! Keep it up....

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Right. You and I had that discussion the other day. What you and I found is why I'm confused by Jess' comments.

The recruiting services had Moses as an OLB, as well as all the other LBs in the class other than Allen who is listed inside. Oddly enough, it's likely to be the exact opposite of where they line up at Bama, because Allen right now is slated to get a look at OLB with the others playing ILB, although Cowan could get looks at both.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.