Alabama opens as 5.5-point favorite over Florida State

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We've got reasons to be confident, but so do they.

We've both got 2nd year qbs who could be legit Heisman candidates.

We've both got uncertainty: we're breaking in a new OC/scheme and they're coming off a "down" year and their confidence is in question.

I think the line could have easily been a pick 'em and we probably just got the Nick Saban bump/benefit of the doubt.

It ought to be a great opening weekend game. Good news is a win would be great, but a loss would not be catostrophic.
Its a win-win game for both teams. Both can still make to playoff with one loss, if they win rest of the game.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Its a win-win game for both teams. Both can still make to playoff with one loss, if they win rest of the game.
BAMA could lose to FSU AND a conference game and still make the playoffs. Chances are everyone in the West will have a loss or two. A 10-2 regular season, SEC West
title and a victory in the SEC title game gets us in.

All that said, I think we win by 10-14.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Games like this are probably my biggest problem with the playoff. Ultimately, in the national title picture, this game doesn't matter much for either team. Bama can lose this game and still easily make the playoffs. I'm not sure I like that.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Francois is no Watson. I feel confident in our ability to get pressure on him and control their running game.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I know we lost some truly outstanding players. We really did.
But, at the risk of sounding over confident, which I'm not, I do think we truly are at the point of simply reloading rather than rebuilding.
Bama is about "this close" to reaching a level of dominance that has rarely if ever been seen in college football history.
It's not an accident. It's the dream of the CEO, and it's really close to coming true.
We're gonna kill FSU.
sip

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
I'll take a one point win, but if we pummel them like we did USC in last year's opener, I'll be happy, happy happy. I hear the crap about the big win by the Noles in '07. In what, CNS's fourth or fifth game as coach at Bama? With a bunch of holdovers from the Shula days - those that weren't in the doghouse or learning for the 1st time the price of accountability? No, if we hang 50 on them by half time, I hope we keep pressing the accelerator till the 4th quarter ends. With backups of course.

Concerning Francois, he's mobile, with a really good arm....and prone to injury when hit really hard. So we need to lay the wood to him early, and often.

Can we just play the game tomorrow? I'm ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Concerning Francois, he's mobile, with a really good arm....and prone to injury when hit really hard.
Man, I dunno - that kid is a flippin' warrior. His OL looked like a bunch of turnstiles last year so he took some hellacious hits in a LOT of games. IIRC he did miss some time with an injured shoulder, but I saw a couple of games where I was amazed he kept getting up.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Lets not forget that FSU is losing their leading receiver, leading rusher (who was their 2nd in receiving yards), and their best pass rusher who had 16 sacks. I know they return a lot elsewhere but those are some impact players that aren't going to be around. Obviously, we are losing a lot of key pieces on D but almost no team can replace high impact players the way we can. So, I feel like this line is pretty fair given the information available at this point. Also, think some of you guys are overrating Francois. He has some great games but he was wildly inconsistent (kinda like Jalen tbh)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The big problem is Francios. He will be entering his second year after a pretty darn freshman year. I really don't care what stats you try to justify against the notion, but the mobile qb who can throw on the run is our kryptonite unless we score in the upper 30's. Francios just screams that our offense will be the deciding factor in the game. If you are asking me an early pick I would say 38-35 something. That is not desrespecting our defense that's taking into account the type of player we will be facing. Yes Louisville smashed them, but I blame that more on Petrino finally learning not to take his foot of the gas on a good team. Let's also not forget that FSU got hosed by the refs against Clemson. They were well on their way to beating them, but a horrible flag cost them. But then again the Miami-FSU game was pretty much given to them.

But I don't think you are giving Francios enough credit. I remember every Bama quickly dismisses the mobile qb theory because they point to Dak, Tebow (2009), and any random "mobile" qb that we beat badly in the past, but they also fail to see that all the games against Johnny, Nick Marshall, Watson, and Kelly were eviscerations of our defense. Yeah Kelly's case was more unique out of the 4 because our offense, the refs, and special teams did practically everything wrong throughout the game in 2015, but 2016 he was still a major headache. Even when we won against these guys it was a tooth and nail fight in which all of them did better the second time than the first time facing us. The times we won was because of an explosive offense. Which is why I see the deciding factor against FSU as our offensive production.

There is that possibility that Francios has regressed over the off season, but there is also that possibility that he has improved tremendously as well. If it is the former then we win easily, but if it is the latter then prepare for that high 30's to 35 type ball game. Again I just want us to come home with a win.

I guess here's my deal (because I think we agree here). What does every pundit try to say to line up their "let's pick against Alabama" stuff?

Notice the difference in these two statements:

1) "Nick Saban/Alabama has trouble with mobile quarterbacks who can throw" (not exactly true)
2) "To beat Alabama, you need a mobile quarterback with some passing accuracy" (basically IS true)

They might mean the second but it's the first they say too often and add in descriptive terms like "vulnerable" or "can't handle" or other terms that are more provocative than accurate. The evidence is mixed. And let me reiterate that those games were lost (with two exceptions) because we had turnovers (esp ATM 2012) or the team had a really good defense (2008 Fla, 2011 LSU) and OTHER things besides the sole notion of the mobile QB.

The two exceptions were the 2013 Iron Bowl and the Clemson game in January. And in both of those games our OFFENSE deserves as much (and sometimes more) blame than the defense just as when we turn it over.

FSU may be in the hunt because their conference isn't that good, Clemson just lost their QB, and they have enough talent to survive some close calls.

A loss hurts US more than it hurts them because we have bigger mountains to climb later in the year than they do.

So I don't disagree with your statements here as you make them, I disagree what those statements get turned into by the boot licking media.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I guess here's my deal (because I think we agree here). What does every pundit try to say to line up their "let's pick against Alabama" stuff?

Notice the difference in these two statements:

1) "Nick Saban/Alabama has trouble with mobile quarterbacks who can throw" (not exactly true)
2) "To beat Alabama, you need a mobile quarterback with some passing accuracy" (basically IS true)

They might mean the second but it's the first they say too often and add in descriptive terms like "vulnerable" or "can't handle" or other terms that are more provocative than accurate. The evidence is mixed. And let me reiterate that those games were lost (with two exceptions) because we had turnovers (esp ATM 2012) or the team had a really good defense (2008 Fla, 2011 LSU) and OTHER things besides the sole notion of the mobile QB.

The two exceptions were the 2013 Iron Bowl and the Clemson game in January. And in both of those games our OFFENSE deserves as much (and sometimes more) blame than the defense just as when we turn it over.

FSU may be in the hunt because their conference isn't that good, Clemson just lost their QB, and they have enough talent to survive some close calls.

A loss hurts US more than it hurts them because we have bigger mountains to climb later in the year than they do.

So I don't disagree with your statements here as you make them, I disagree what those statements get turned into by the boot licking media.
Honestly I'm in the I don't category about the game. I can see us curb stomping them as well as Francios just being that pain in the rear type qb. I think it's key that we get ahead early and silence their crowd because I have this weird feeling it's going to be a 60-40 split in their favor with the current ticket prices and the similar proximity to Atlanta. Bama fans are just too broke with all the major traveling over the past 10 years to say we are going to own neutral site games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Honestly I'm in the I don't category about the game. I can see us curb stomping them as well as Francios just being that pain in the rear type qb. I think it's key that we get ahead early and silence their crowd because I have this weird feeling it's going to be a 60-40 split in their favor with the current ticket prices and the similar proximity to Atlanta. Bama fans are just too broke with all the major traveling over the past 10 years to say we are going to own neutral site games.
That's true, too. Look at the trouble of filling Jerry World with the Wisky game when we had just played here three years earlier and would come back in December and Wisky had just traveled huge the year before. Bama-USC sold out because the two blue bloods had not played in over 30 years. Nebraska is not what they once were but that's one game that would sell out huge even now.

I concur with your assessment here.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Man, I dunno - that kid is a flippin' warrior. His OL looked like a bunch of turnstiles last year so he took some hellacious hits in a LOT of games. IIRC he did miss some time with an injured shoulder, but I saw a couple of games where I was amazed he kept getting up.
To be fair, he did take some vicious hits and manage to get up (writhing in agony when he did). So yeah he's one tough cookie for sure. If Payne can bring the pain and Rashan Evans plays like he is capable, or Ronnie Harrison is able to get a clean shot on him, I like our chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I thought Francois, unlike JH, made forward progression in his development throughout 2016. I really believe this will be Bama's toughest opener in the Saban era.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I will say this. This is one of the hardest games to get a read on from what we should expect from both qbs.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.