How Nick Saban Described Alabama's Unique QB Situation

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Jalen's biggest limited factor last season was his inexperience of knowing & playing with a complete playbook..He needs to get the majority of snaps this offseason to learn all the plays & we truly build an offense around Jalen's strength as our QB..

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I can't believe I am going to say this but I think Jalen will be our version of Tebow. Their games are already pretty similar. Jalen will probably be a serviceable QB in college who can from time to time get hot and burn you in games. But he likely won't be consistent enough to be viewed as an elite NFL prospect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can't believe I am going to say this but I think Jalen will be our version of Tebow. Their games are already pretty similar. Jalen will probably be a serviceable QB in college who can from time to time get hot and burn you in games. But he likely won't be consistent enough to be viewed as an elite NFL prospect.
Honestly, I don't know what to think. During the MSU game, he looked amazing. But I went back and watched that game again and their defense was horrid. BUT, and this is the important part, he was able to hit those receivers in stride. That is the only game in the entire season that featured him as a passer. I have no idea what we can take away from that game.

So far I haven't seen anything from Jalen that makes me think that he has NFL potential, but I have seen enough to believe that he can win multiple college championships.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
During the MSU game, he looked amazing.
Yep. After that game and the way the offense looked combined w/our D I didn't think anyone could/would beat us. But that was pretty much the best we looked all year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
People progress differently in spring and fall camp. How many time we've heard that someone was balling out in spring camp, but when it's time to go hard in fall camp, they disappear?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Honestly, I don't know what to think. During the MSU game, he looked amazing. But I went back and watched that game again and their defense was horrid. BUT, and this is the important part, he was able to hit those receivers in stride. That is the only game in the entire season that featured him as a passer. I have no idea what we can take away from that game.

So far I haven't seen anything from Jalen that makes me think that he has NFL potential, but I have seen enough to believe that he can win multiple college championships.
^ This, I think too often fans and media discuss college QBs in terms of pro potential. Jalen doesn't need to become an elite passer in order to win championships or even a Heisman. Plus he has an absurd amount of talent around him. And while he is clearly a below average passer right now he is a SPECIAL runner. Can't really remember any QBs with his speed, strength and elusiveness.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I do, the simple fact is he can make the throws. That's the most important part. Reading defenses, adjusting to the speed of the game, etc... those can be learned, he can get better at that. The ability though, that's the most important part and clearly he has that. We've all seen him make the throws.

The other thing, that's sooo easy to forget and it seems people keep doing it, is after that game he really faced a lot of tough defenses. He was solid against Chattanooga of course, but Alabama sleep walked through that game, after that though he faced nothing but great defenses. The end result, and this has to be reiterated is he had the best season of any college true freshman ever, and he did that against the #1 schedule in the country. Sure, Jalen struggled against tough defenses, but so did your QB, it seems like the fact that a true freshman was playing against great defenses is often not taken into account...

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I do, the simple fact is he can make the throws. That's the most important part. Reading defenses, adjusting to the speed of the game, etc... those can be learned, he can get better at that. The ability though, that's the most important part and clearly he has that. We've all seen him make the throws.

The other thing, that's sooo easy to forget and it seems people keep doing it, is after that game he really faced a lot of tough defenses. He was solid against Chattanooga of course, but Alabama sleep walked through that game, after that though he faced nothing but great defenses. The end result, and this has to be reiterated is he had the best season of any college true freshman ever, and he did that against the #1 schedule in the country. Sure, Jalen struggled against tough defenses, but so did your QB, it seems like the fact that a true freshman was playing against great defenses is often not taken into account...
Holieway says hello.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm so sorry. I guess there is a new definition of the word ever.
Since he did use the word "ever," let's check the stats. Yep. Jalen destroys Holieway's stats.

If you're going to try to say Holieway's freshman year was better because he won the title, you better also consider Jalen had the game winning score with 2 minutes left.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
IMO, championships are all that matter. Jamelle's team won the nation championship, Jalen's team did not. You can talk all you want to about statistics but the bottom line is winning.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
IMO, championships are all that matter. Jamelle's team won the nation championship, Jalen's team did not. You can talk all you want to about statistics but the bottom line is winning.
BRB. Need to go see if the optometrist can get my eyes after they just rolled all the way back.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
So you are saying Jay Barker in 1992 and Greg McElory in 2009 had the best seasons of any QB's in the nation since they won the NC even though the stats were not close?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.