How Nick Saban Described Alabama's Unique QB Situation

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Don't put me in that bucket. I said early on there were plenty of missed plays all around that would have made a difference in the outcome of the game. I'm only pushing back on the claims some are making about jalen doing everything he could or being good enough to win that one game because i don't think the stats back that up and the game was a very good indication of what jalen as to improve on for us to be successful in 2017. That's why they practice during the spring and summer to get batter at the things they know they need to improve.
But when you constantly post his stats and how many three-and-outs the offense had without mentioning the other guys didn't do their job, it comes across as putting the game on Jalen.

Some have talked about the last three games being his worst, and they were. He completed 47.7% of his passes (solely looking at the numbers and not at any throwaways), 326 yards, and 2 TDs.

I cannot escape the OC issues during that time. Lane was extremely distracted for various reasons. Then, Sark had a fairly bland gameplan with less than a week to prepare. I believe possibly the biggest problem, though, came from Sark's use of the play clock. While Lane would often be busy changing the play with 3 seconds left, Sark called the play with 20 seconds left. If he waited a little longer to use some clock and/or see what Clemson was doing, who knows how the game turns out.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
But when you constantly post his stats and how many three-and-outs the offense had without mentioning the other guys didn't do their job, it comes across as putting the game on Jalen.

Some have talked about the last three games being his worst, and they were. He completed 47.7% of his passes (solely looking at the numbers and not at any throwaways), 326 yards, and 2 TDs.

I cannot escape the OC issues during that time. Lane was extremely distracted for various reasons. Then, Sark had a fairly bland gameplan with less than a week to prepare. I believe possibly the biggest problem, though, came from Sark's use of the play clock. While Lane would often be busy changing the play with 3 seconds left, Sark called the play with 20 seconds left. If he waited a little longer to use some clock and/or see what Clemson was doing, who knows how the game turns out.
This is fair. My biggest issue with Sark is his play calling after Bo went down and really even before that in the 2nd half. The game plan seemed to be run on 1st down and if that didn't gain you a first down or close to it then throw on 2nd and 3rd down. And keep in mind we had the lead for almost the entire 2nd half. Clemson only gained the lead with 4-5 minutes left in the game. So why on earth are you calling that many passing plays when your QB is struggling to complete a pass and you have stud RBs?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
This is fair. My biggest issue with Sark is his play calling after Bo went down and really even before that in the 2nd half. The game plan seemed to be run on 1st down and if that didn't gain you a first down or close to it then throw on 2nd and 3rd down. And keep in mind we had the lead for almost the entire 2nd half. Clemson only gained the lead with 4-5 minutes left in the game. So why on earth are you calling that many passing plays when your QB is struggling to complete a pass and you have stud RBs?
There were also 6 drops according to Cole Cubelic which greatly distorted his passing stats. IIRC, at least 3 of those were 3rd down passes that would have extended the drive.

No one is claiming he is a polished passer, it's the constant and inordinate criticism, as well as the primary blame for the NC game.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
For three years we went into the off-season not knowing who our starting QB would be. There was all the speculative hand-wringing that came from that.

Now we are returning the SEC Offensive Player of the Year - and for some people it's still not enough! Amazing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.