Why Alabama's Jalen Hurts might be the next great college quarterback

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Clemson had just taken a 28-24 lead thanks to a Wayne Gallman touchdown run. Alabama got the ball back on its own 32-yard line with 4:38 remaining. A true freshman quarterback, who had struggled for weeks to throw the ball with any accuracy, had to drive his team 68 yards for a touchdown. Against one of the most ferocious pass rushes in college football. With a playcaller who had been on the job for eight days. In the national title game.

And he did it.

Forget everything else about Jalen Hurts’s first season as Alabama’s quarterback and just think about that drive. When the Crimson Tide absolutely, positively needed a touchdown against a defense that had shut down the offense for most of the second half on the game’s biggest stage, Hurts delivered that touchdown. That drive ended with him sprinting 30 yards up the middle and into the end zone. And if almost anyone other than Watson had been the other quarterback, Alabama would have another national title.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-alabamas-jalen-hurts-might-173557100.html

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just him getting used to the speed of the game will allow him to take big leaps in development regarding his passing. The game should be a lot slower for him this go'round than last year.
If the game slowing down translates into him developing his downfield passing ability the sky is the limit for him.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It will help. Not saying it will solve it. But having things "slow down" will allow him to better process what he sees. Which could very well be depth of the receiver and where he needs to put the ball.
Makes sense...come to think about it, he seemed more comfortable with a pass he could gun on a rope. He seemed to struggle more with touch and throwing over defenders into soft spots, which is largely what down field passing demands. Probably harder to trust "touch" than just muscle.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think he'll really be something special before he's finished at Bama. He has developed in a big way physically over the winter.
he looks big strong and fast, and his release looks exceptionally quick. Much quicker than last season.
We'll see. I think he's very good already and will only keep getting better,

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Truth is he already had the best season ever for a true freshman. He should continue developing though, and if he does that is a scary proposition for the other team.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If Bama stops Clemson on that last drive, Hurts would be considered the favorite for the Heisman this year.
Anything is possible. But we'll see. Jalen, so far, reminds me in some ways of Walter Lewis-- highly recruited by a great coach when we were very good, very athletic, good instincts, a bona fide running and passing threat, but also very, very erratic at times and(so far) has yet to win the big one(at least he has played for it though when Lewis never did).

To me the key to his development and progression is his passing ability. He gets that right then the sky is the limit.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think he'll really be something special before he's finished at Bama. He has developed in a big way physically over the winter.
he looks big strong and fast, and his release looks exceptionally quick. Much quicker than last season.
We'll see. I think he's very good already and will only keep getting better,
This! This is the best post of all on this thread. Nobody noticed how much bigger he got over the winter.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Anything is possible. But we'll see. Jalen, so far, reminds me in some ways of Walter Lewis-- highly recruited by a great coach when we were very good, very athletic, good instincts, a bona fide running and passing threat, but also very, very erratic at times and(so far) has yet to win the big one(at least he has played for it though when Lewis never did).

To me the key to his development and progression is his passing ability. He gets that right then the sky is the limit.
It is funny you mention Walter Lewis. I believe Nolan has an avatar with a picture of Jalen Hurts but I always think it is a picture of Walter Lewis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm glad to hear his release is quicker. As for strength, he was already crazy strong. How strong does a QB need to be, really?
Hmmm...I think strength is a pretty good asset for a football player no matter what position you play.
For a Quarterback, I'd rate arm strength kind of highly.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm glad to hear his release is quicker. As for strength, he was already crazy strong. How strong does a QB need to be, really?
In college, as a dual-threat QB, it is important because you take RB hits. Not as important in the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.