Bama Basketball Roster and Immediate Future of Tide Hoops

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Despite being on the job a full year less than BBQ Bruce Pearl, I think CAJ has done a GREAT job managing his roster, and Bama is poised to make a huge leap forward next year. Bama will combine a tremendous influx of new talent with an experienced core.

The New...

PG Colin Sexton - McDonalds AA
SG/SF John Petty - MCD AA Finalist, Alabama Gatorade POY
SF Herb Jones
PF Alex Reese
C Galin Smith
C Daniel Giddens - Ohio State Transfer

The OLD...

F Riley Norris - Final tie to grant
SF Braxton Key
PG Dazon Ingram
PG Avery Johnson
C Dontae Hall
SG Armond Davis

The Questions...

Nick King - Health
Brandon Austin
Lawson Schaeffer

I think the above is a splendid mix of youth and experience, with the ability to go 10 deep or more, and play Big, Small, and pretty much anything in between. I see Bama Roster being > than auburns, and think CAJ is about to seize the lead in this rebuild race, and never relinquish it. I am very hopeful that at this point next year, We will be anticipating Bama tipping off in a day or so, in our first Sweet 16 visit since the Ice Age. I am really excited for the versatility we can have, and for how Alex Reese can help in that regard, as for a "sleeper" guy that could be a Keith Askins type as a freshman, Mr. Herb Jones.

If we keep the core of our defensive identity, and speed up in transition and improve offensive efficiency, this team could be really good...

I am buckled in, you better get your tickets now, trying not to get too excited, but I am hoping Bama Basketball is done with its 25 years of wandering in the wilderness - something Football also did Post-Bryant, and is about to cross into The Hoops Promised Land :BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA:

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Pretty decent roster. Is Lawson Schaeffer a walk on? Is somebody going to have to leave because of scholly limits?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Pretty decent roster. Is Lawson Schaeffer a walk on? Is somebody going to have to leave because of scholly limits?
Yeah, Lawson is a walk on.

Someone might not have to transfer to make the numbers work, but someone will have to come off scholarship.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think the numbers will work out. We have a few that might transfer. I have not heard anything about King, but he may graduate soon so he may be able to go somewhere as a graduate transfer if he chooses that route. Brandon Austin was hurt all year and I don't have any idea of his status.

I think we'll be a tourney team, but don't expect miracles overnight. We'll still be counting on freshman and sophomores to lead us next year. I know the freshman have worlds of talent, but basketball is so much about knowing the system and where each player should be on the floor both offensively and defensively. It will take time to develop chemistry and defensive switches. It will help a ton that we are playing in Canada this summer to adjust to one another.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I think the numbers will work out. We have a few that might transfer. I have not heard anything about King, but he may graduate soon so he may be able to go somewhere as a graduate transfer if he chooses that route. Brandon Austin was hurt all year and I don't have no idea of his status.

I think we'll be a tourney team, but don't expect miracles overnight. We'll still be counting on freshman and sophomores to lead us next year. I know the freshman have worlds of talent, but basketball is so much about knowing the system and where each player should be on the floor both offensively and defensively. It will take time to develop chemistry and defensive switches. It will help a ton that we are playing in Canada this summer to adjust to one another.
Didn't that was the case, thats pretty cool, forgive my ignorance but is that's just where the team is doing summer camps?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Didn't that was the case, thats pretty cool, forgive my ignorance but is that's just where the team is doing summer camps?
Will be similar to the team traveling to Europe Grant's last year. They'll play games against Canadian teams. Hopefully, this will allow Avery time to get a clear picture of what the rotation should be. Took some time to figure that out this past season.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I like the idea of getting a better picture of the rotation. Seemed like CAJ went a long time this past season trying to figure this out and then had to deal with losing two players.

Don't know how much CAJ can learn from players wearing ice skates though.

With the potential for a higher number of capable players this season, will CAJ try to bump up the pace of the game or full court pressure?

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Will be similar to the team traveling to Europe Grant's last year. They'll play games against Canadian teams. Hopefully, this will allow Avery time to get a clear picture of what the rotation should be. Took some time to figure that out this past season.

Thanks for answering my question RTR. I'm hoping they do get off to a good start and gel quickly. Man, I'm already looking forward to next season lol

... With the potential for a higher number of capable players this season, will CAJ try to bump up the pace of the game or full court pressure?
Hopefully so, I love the pressure that West Virginia was able to establish this year, they were relentless

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
This will be CAJ's first team that has numerous versatile athletes on the roster and really the first one that SHOULD make a legit Tourney run.

Last year, you had essentially the Retin show and while he was amazing for the team, no player can do it alone. This year was a little more balanced but they were missing that lead guy that Retin gave the team. 2017/2018 gives CAJ his first team that should have numerous scoring options and possibilities for versatile lineups.

The ideal offseason, for me, is:

1. Continued improvement from the Key and Ingram. The Sexton/Petty duo is going to get all the pub(and for good reason) but the development of the current young guns will determine if this is a tourney team or a massive letdown. With Sexton likely taking over some of the ballhandling duties, it would be nice to see Ingram hit a similar percentage of 3 pointers while upping his number of attempts. We need someone shooting almost 43% from downtown taking more attempts than he put up. Key just needs to continue to improve as he did all season. Both guys need to up that FT% by at least 10% points.

2. Between Giddens and Hall, somebody needs to anchor the middle. Alabama has some legit wing players on the team and coming in but they need an enforcer. Giddens immediately stands out with his size but he has to be better than he was at Ohio State. The good news is...as a freshman, everyone knew he was raw so his performance should not be concerning. The bad news is...he didn't play this year so we don't know if he has actually gotten better. At worst, the hope is that he gives us more size than Bola and more toughness and consistency than Taylor/Hale. Donta needs to continue to add weight and consistency. He CAN rebound and he CAN block shots..now he has to do those things with some consistency while not fouling.

3. Improved long distance shooting from Avery Jr., Armond and Riley Norris. We need these guys to be AT LEAST be in the 35-38% range. Between these 3, they should 361 3s...and made 111 for a percentage of almost 31%. The offense will not improve much without these percentages moving to that 35-38% range or higher.

4. Sexton and Petty...need to be the real deal. In an ideal world(and a realistic one as well), Sexton can produce a season similar to some of the top 2016 guys. Dennis Smith Jr.? 18pts/6 asts on 45%/36%. Malik Monk? 20pts on 45%/39%. De'Aaron Fox? 16pts/4asts/4rbs on 48% shooting. And Petty? Maybe a Rawle Alkins...11 pts on 46% shooting. Or maybe a Mustapha Heron(barf) - 15pts, 6 rbs on 44%/42%. Bottom line? To be truly successful, Sexton and Petty need to be at the 25-30ppg range combined.

The bottom line, for me, is this...as much as you hate to rely on freshman(unless you are Kentucky), Alabama NEEDS Sexton and Petty to be as advertised. If you can add those 2 to an improving Braxton Key and Dazon Ingram, then you can have a nicely spaced floor with 4 legit offensive weapons. That ALONE would be an improvement over the past several years but does not take into account potential improvements from Riley, Avery Jr. and Armond. If 2 of those 3 could become more consistent and Giddens/Hall can just be trash men, then the team should be in good tournament shape.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really do agree with the idea (unless something unforseen happens) that next year should be when everything comes together. Avery's first year, Obasohan emerged and really put Alabama ahead of schedule in terms of where they should have been. His loss and the lack of anyone to fill his shoes (the Ferguson situation didn't help) kind of overshadowed improvement in other areas. So, Alabama showed only a modest improvement. This is the first time in a long time where it looks like Alabama has nowhere to go but up (under Grant each time things seemed like that they somehow fell apart). If no one else transfers, they'll be adding one of the top recruiting classes in the nation to an already solid team.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.