America's fattest cities - are all in the South

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The staple foods here are all carb heavy. We even batter and deep fry our proteins. Economics probably play a big part in it as well. We are poorer, and fast food is cheaper than healthy food, and fast food is 99% salt and sugar (as well as a host of processed garbage).

At least our women are hotter, and the football better than any other region of the country.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Pass me some more of that fried chicken and mashed taters with butter. Some of them fried green tomaters too please. Mmmmm. the bacon grease sho makes them beans taste good!
I had vieenas and chips for lunch. Fried baloney with saw mill gravy for breakfast. Man has got to eat!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The staple foods here are all carb heavy. We even batter and deep fry our proteins. Economics probably play a big part in it as well. We are poorer, and fast food is cheaper than healthy food, and fast food is 99% salt and sugar (as well as a host of processed garbage).

At least our women are hotter, and the football better than any other region of the country.
I would add less educated as well as economics though they do tend to go hand in hand

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A history professor of mine probably found a great explanation. He said our diet goes against the climate we live in. We should be on more of a Mediterranean diet instead of a Scottish diet based upon our climate

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
A history professor of mine probably found a great explanation. He said our diet goes against the climate we live in. We should be on more of a Mediterranean diet instead of a Scottish diet based upon our climate
"But beefsteak is delicious!"

Chief Justice William Howard Taft, dissenting opinion in United States v. Beefsteak, 1925.​

Last edited:

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I would add less educated as well as economics though they do tend to go hand in hand
Maybe, but I've worked with a lot of highly educated, well off people who would do well to back away from the table. I'm right there with them. I live in the #11 area (Columbia, SC), and not only is the food around here fattening, but I'd wager alcohol plays a large role around these parts as well.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Not everyone eats a lot of deep fried, greasy or "fast" food. Some of us find other, better ways to prepare those foods we like best. Not that we really give a care what others think about what and how we eat..

I suppose Ricky Nelson said it best in his song "Garden Party".
You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself.

Yes, I know Ricky Nelson was before a lot of y'all's time, but some of us are ahead others.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not everyone eats a lot of deep fried, greasy or "fast" food. Some of us find other, better ways to prepare those foods we like best. Not that we really give a care what others think about what and how we eat..

I suppose Ricky Nelson said it best in his song "Garden Party".
You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself.

Yes, I know Ricky Nelson was before a lot of y'all's time, but some of us are ahead others.

Someone opened up a closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode
Playing guitar like a-ringin' a bell and lookin' like he should
If you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta luck
But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't buy the "education" component of it. Not in today's informational society. Just like people know cigarettes are very harmful yet they still smoke them. You'd have to be living under a rock on another planet to not know soft drinks are horrible, especially the low calorie ones with aspartame. Yet people still buy them by the millions. Fast food establishments now have the calories listed out beside their selections. So when Jerry Earle, "Mama" and the young'uns load up in the pickup and head out of the trailer park to go to McDonald's. The calories are basically staring them in the face while Jerry Earle tells them to upside his fries and drink. There's been such a national push on eating healthy and what's good and not good for you. Most people, regardless of their education level, have a general knowledge of what's healthy and what's not. You can buy 2 cooked whole rotisserie chickens, two large cans of green beans and a huge box of instant potatoes that would feed Jerry Earle and the family cheaper than buying one meal for everyone at McDonalds. This would be a much healthier meal than fast food. If you can read a price tag you can figure this out.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
This thread made me think of the tendency for Southern people to have many, many get-togethers throughout the year and eating potluck style. Portion control is hard to manage when every Southern grandmother puts her best dish on the table.

Now I'm hungry.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I don't buy the "education" component of it. Not in today's informational society. Just like people know cigarettes are very harmful yet they still smoke them. You'd have to be living under a rock on another planet to not know soft drinks are horrible, especially the low calorie ones with aspartame. Yet people still buy them by the millions. Fast food establishments now have the calories listed out beside their selections. So when Jerry Earle, "Mama" and the young'uns load up in the pickup and head out of the trailer park to go to McDonald's. The calories are basically staring them in the face while Jerry Earle tells them to upside his fries and drink. There's been such a national push on eating healthy and what's good and not good for you. Most people, regardless of their education level, have a general knowledge of what's healthy and what's not. You can buy 2 cooked whole rotisserie chickens, two large cans of green beans and a huge box of instant potatoes that would feed Jerry Earle and the family cheaper than buying one meal for everyone at McDonalds. This would be a much healthier meal than fast food. If you can read a price tag you can figure this out.
believe what you like but the numbers back my argument. They at least show a correlation

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2012/p0516_higher_education.html

This year’s edition features a special section on socioeconomic status and health. Among the highlights:

In 2007-2010, higher levels of education among the head of household resulted in lower rates of obesity among boys and girls 2-19 years of age. In households where the head of household had less than a high school education, 24 percent of boys and 22 percent of girls were obese. In households where the head had a bachelor’s degree or higher, obesity prevalence was 11 percent for males aged 2-19 years and 7 percent for females.

In 2007-2010, women 25 years of age and over with less than a bachelor’s degree were more likely to be obese (39 percent-43 percent) than those with a bachelor’s degree or higher (25 percent). Obesity prevalence among adult males did not vary consistently with level of education.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
believe what you like but the numbers back my argument. They at least show a correlation

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2012/p0516_higher_education.html

I don't buy it. I simply do not. But if it is true then our society is "dumber" than I already thought. God help us all.

Let me throw this at you and see if any of it sticks. Education and intelligence aren't necessarily the same thing. They tend to get thrown into the same mixing pot. However, you can educate two people with the same information but aren't equal regarding intelligence. One's intelligence allows them to take the information, the education, and apply it usefully. Where as the other looks at the same educational information and dismisses the useful things they could do with it. Because the fact of the matter is the rich, poor or the in between. We've all been bombarded with information/education on diet in our society. There's no way you can convince me that there's this enormous group of people in our country who have never heard or been told that eating fatty fried foods and drinking sugary drinks are bad for you. I don't think education or lack there of is as much of the problem as it is people just simply don't want to eat that way regardless of the information they've been told about it. Or people who simply are low on the intellectual gene pool.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.