Question about root canals

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I had a problem with something similar several years ago. It's seems another tooth close by was the culprit and they may have had to redo something on the original tooth. Unlike Bill, my memory has gaps and I was too busy with other things to pay close attention. I just wanted the pain to stop and finally it did after they were done. I'd keep pushing the issue until it is resolved.
That’s what I was thinking when my bite was corrected. But all surrounding teeth have fillings in them. I just had X-rays done, so no cavities are showing up. Don’t have a clue what’s causing it. Doctors don’t either. I don’t think they missed a root cause I think the pain would be worse if they had.

I’m about ready to pull the dang thing.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
That’s what I was thinking when my bite was corrected. But all surrounding teeth have fillings in them. I just had X-rays done, so no cavities are showing up. Don’t have a clue what’s causing it. Doctors don’t either. I don’t think they missed a root cause I think the pain would be worse if they had.

I’m about ready to pull the dang thing.
IIRC, and I'm not certain, a close by tooth with a filling was the culprit and I had to have a root canal on that tooth as well before the pain stopped. Seems like the filling was close to the nerve and removing the nerve was the only solution. I'd keep pushing until you are pain free. It's not just all in your head, even though it's all in your head. :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That pain that woke me up was the tooth in front of the root canal one. It had a lot of decay in it. Still something up with the root canal tooth I’m pretty sure. All the surrounding teeth have fillings, so don’t think it’s the surrounding teeth :D
It may be that one or the other of the fillings is still high. I have to go back over and over to get it right. I have a cross-bite, my lower jaw being bigger. I have to grind back and forth on their carbon paper, in addition to up and down, to get it right. Dentists tend to forget that the height of the filling changes with my type of bite, depending on where the jaw is from side to side. It's a pain...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Well I was still having troubles, so I finally made an appointment with the Endodontist after 5 trips to my regular dentist. I have an infection in that tooth, but the kicker is my old dentist (I finally switched to a new one this summer) left the sponge in there that the Endodontist temporarily put in before it was permanently filled. So the pain is coming from the sponge material that is left in there (not sure what this material is as I don’t know anything about root canals). Plus he only filled it partially not all the way down like the Endodontist said it needed to be. I am a little mad to say the least.

I have to have the tooth retreated to the tune of $950, but I don’t feel it’s my place to have to pay that, so I called my old dentist and told them what was going on. They haven’t got back with me as of today. I don’t know what to do if they won’t pay it. He obviously didn’t do his job correctly, and I think he should pay to have it fixed. :rolleye2:

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I’m going to talk today to my new dentist and get her advice as I don’t know anything about root canals. My cousin in mobile who is a hygienist and knows about root canals said the whole thing from what the Endodontist is saying sounds fishy. So idk what to believe. I’m ready to just pull it. It’ll be a lot cheaper in the long run. :smile:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I’m going to talk today to my new dentist and get her advice as I don’t know anything about root canals. My cousin in mobile who is a hygienist and knows about root canals said the whole thing from what the Endodontist is saying sounds fishy. So idk what to believe. I’m ready to just pull it. It’ll be a lot cheaper in the long run. :smile:
I'm with your cousin in this. I've had a number of them, at my age. First, I've never had any sponge material put in and I've never had an endodontist send me back to the dentist for filling, and that's over three separate endodontists. In every case, the endo has just filled the tooth him (and her) self. Also, how on earth would the endodontist know there's sponge under there without removing the filling, unless he has and you just haven't mentioned that. Finally, what needs to be "retreated?" The tooth is dead. The most that would have to be done would be to drill out the filling and replace it. That shouldn't be $950. In fact, both of them should be scrambling at this point to make it right...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Well I was still having troubles, so I finally made an appointment with the Endodontist after 5 trips to my regular dentist. I have an infection in that tooth, but the kicker is my old dentist (I finally switched to a new one this summer) left the sponge in there that the Endodontist temporarily put in before it was permanently filled. So the pain is coming from the sponge material that is left in there (not sure what this material is as I don’t know anything about root canals). Plus he only filled it partially not all the way down like the Endodontist said it needed to be. I am a little mad to say the least.
I guess that begs the question ...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I went to my new dentist today to get another opinion and even sent my cousin a picture of the X-ray, who had her boss look at the X-ray. The sponge material the endodontist described is fact the cotton pellet material (the term my cousin used for it) they put in there. It shows up on the X-ray or so all three doctors said so anyway. I don’t know what it looks like, so I don’t know. It wasn’t removed prior to permanently filling it. And the filing isn’t all the way filled like it’s suppose to be, which shows on the X-ray as well. It’s filled only halfway down the tooth. Thus I have an infection.

While I was at the new dentist getting a second opinion the endodontist office called because the new dentist had requested the X-ray they took yesterday. I started talking to them about it and they said my old dentist put the blame on them. They said my old dentist told them that the cotton pellet wasn’t noted on the notes the endodontist sent over after doing the root canal and that he didn’t see it when he filled it. So sounds like he admitted it was his fault, but he’s trying to turn it around on the Endodontist. But then the endodontist office said that they will work with me and discount it to $500. I told them it wasn’t their fault nor my fault that it wasn’t done properly and I shouldn’t have to pay to have it fixed. I paid to have it fixed once and it was crappy work by my old dentist. They said I needed to call them. I called my old dentist and they said they are still waiting to hear back from the endodontist. :rolleye2:

This is all sounds like a movie, but I swear I’m not making this up. LOL.

Maybe I’m wrong to think I shouldn’t have to pay to have it fixed?

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I'm with your cousin in this. I've had a number of them, at my age. First, I've never had any sponge material put in and I've never had an endodontist send me back to the dentist for filling, and that's over three separate endodontists. In every case, the endo has just filled the tooth him (and her) self. Also, how on earth would the endodontist know there's sponge under there without removing the filling, unless he has and you just haven't mentioned that. Finally, what needs to be "retreated?" The tooth is dead. The most that would have to be done would be to drill out the filling and replace it. That shouldn't be $950. In fact, both of them should be scrambling at this point to make it right...
It is the cotton pellet material he was calling the sponge material. Still don’t know what that is but that’s what they called it.

And I’m not sure about the filling part. The endodontist told me in March that he put a temporary filling in and that I needed to let it heal for 3-4 weeks then go to my regular dentist to have it permanently filled. The tooth already had a crown on it, so maybe that’s why? Idk.

All I know is someone didn’t do their job correctly. My guess is on my old dentist. He has a history of doing crappy work, so that’s one reason I left. I had a cavity filled in the tooth in front of the root canal tooth back in April. Two weeks ago I was eating kettle chips, and I cracked that filling. It lasted a whole 8 months. The new dentist used the white filling material instead of the silver material like the old dentist did.

And I still don’t know why he’d have to completely redo it. I’ll ask my cousin that. But it sounds like to me they are blaming each other.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It is the cotton pellet material he was calling the sponge material. Still don’t know what that is but that’s what they called it.

And I’m not sure about the filling part. The endodontist told me in March that he put a temporary filling in and that I needed to let it heal for 3-4 weeks then go to my regular dentist to have it permanently filled. The tooth already had a crown on it, so maybe that’s why? Idk.

All I know is someone didn’t do their job correctly. My guess is on my old dentist. He has a history of doing crappy work, so that’s one reason I left. I had a cavity filled in the tooth in front of the root canal tooth back in April. Two weeks ago I was eating kettle chips, and I cracked that filling. It lasted a whole 8 months. The new dentist used the white filling material instead of the silver material like the old dentist did.

And I still don’t know why he’d have to completely redo it. I’ll ask my cousin that. But it sounds like to me they are blaming each other.
The tooth already had a crown on it? Typically you don't get crowns unless you break the tooth or have a root canal to begin with.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The tooth already had a crown on it? Typically you don't get crowns unless you break the tooth or have a root canal to begin with.
I have actually had a couple of root canals done on crowned teeth. The crowning doesn't kill the tooth, and, if it develops a problem later on, then the dentist has to drill down through the crown...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Yep, buck-passing...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Yep been on there since 2005. My new dentist said I could possibly have to have a new crown if I have the tooth retreated. If that’s the case, and my old dentist doesn’t do what’s right, I’m just going to get it pulled I think and save money to get an implant. I mean the tooth is already dead. If in two years I have more problems after this infection is taken care of, I’ll be out even more money for a dead tooth. That’s how I’m leaning at the moment.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Jessica....please do whatever you can to get this resolved without losing a tooth.

I'm not a dentist so just my personal slant on things but having a tooth pulled should be a very last resort.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Jessica....please do whatever you can to get this resolved without losing a tooth.

I'm not a dentist so just my personal slant on things but having a tooth pulled should be a very last resort.

Yeah im just angry at the moment, and tired of it hurting. I probably will end up just getting it fixed, but I really hope the dentist does the right thing. I’ve been using him since I was like 3 years old. And all my family goes to him. That’s why I can’t believe he isn’t taking responsibility. I didn’t leave the material in there and I didn’t cause it to get infected.
I thought about telling them I’d have to get lawyers involved, but I don’t want to do that either.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah im just angry at the moment, and tired of it hurting. I probably will end up just getting it fixed, but I really hope the dentist does the right thing. I’ve been using him since I was like 3 years old. And all my family goes to him. That’s why I can’t believe he isn’t taking responsibility. I didn’t leave the material in there and I didn’t cause it to get infected.
I thought about telling them I’d have to get lawyers involved, but I don’t want to do that either.
Have they opened the tooth back up? How do they know there's material still in there? Also, a root canal kills the tooth, making a further infection impossible. I just don't understand anything either of these guys are saying. About pulling and waiting for an implant, that's trouble. As soon as it's pulled, the teeth on either side are going to drift in towards each other, which will make an implant later on complicated...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Have they opened the tooth back up? How do they know there's material still in there? Also, a root canal kills the tooth, making a further infection impossible. I just don't understand anything either of these guys are saying. About pulling and waiting for an implant, that's trouble. As soon as it's pulled, the teeth on either side are going to drift in towards each other, which will make an implant later on complicated...
I haven’t had it retreated yet, so they haven’t opened it up. You can see the material on X-ray, though. Two other dentists have confirmed what the Endodontist told me yesterday about the cotton pellet being left in there. There is infection at the bottom of one of the roots. This has been confirmed by two dentist as well. I’m assuming it’s coming from the foreign material in there and not the root canal treatment itself, but no one has told me what caused the infection so that’s a guess. But from my googling, infection is a common thing with root canals or one reason why root canal treatments fail.

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/dental-root-canals#4-10

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.