Latest Bama News 3/27/2017 Thru 4/2/2017

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I fail to see Jalen Hurts as a problem. He was outstanding last year, even thou no one thought he would play till our other QBs failed to impress, and Jalen came in to save the day. This year they are working with him more, and he will be better. Our other guys are vying for the #2 spot.
While some are quick to blame our loss in the National Championship on Jalen, I disagree. Jalen did enough to win. Our Defense was gassed near the end of the game, and allowed Clemson to score. In my book the blame if there is any was on our fast paced game, and a Defense who run out of gas...

Last edited:

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
I fail to see Jalen Hurts as a problem. He was outstanding last year, even thou no one thought he would play till our other QBs failed to impress, and Jalen came in to save the day. This year they are working with him more, and he will be better. Our other guys are vying for the #2 spot.
While some are quick to blame our loss in the National Championship on Jalen, I disagree. Jalen did enough to win. Our Defense was gassed near the end of the game, and allowed Clemson to score. In my book the blame if there is any was on our fast paced game, and a Defense who run out of gas...
I absolutely agree, with every point OMD!

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

While I wouldn't put all the blame on Jalen - his regression in the passing game was certainly a contributing factor. Complete just a few more passes to convert or just prolong a few more drives to perhaps get another score OR just give the D a chance to rest a bit longer and it's a different game. that said, his composure on the last drive was amazing and he made some crucial plays that put us in the lead again. He was very, very good for us last year, but still has areas he'll need to improve that were exposed once coordinators figured out how to scheme him - it's our coaches job to help him get better in those areas so he's not as easy to scheme for.

I didn't see that as the point of the article though. I don't recall us lining Jalen up under center much last year, if at all. This spring we've already seen drills with the QBs taking under center snaps, and the transition isn't insignificant and with the offenses high schools run now, some QBs have never done it before. It forces the QB to be able to make reads in the secondary while taking his drop, and developing his ability to read coverage was already an area Jalen was going to need to progress on.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
While I wouldn't put all the blame on Jalen - his regression in the passing game was certainly a contributing factor. Complete just a few more passes to convert or just prolong a few more drives to perhaps get another score OR just give the D a chance to rest a bit longer and it's a different game. that said, his composure on the last drive was amazing and he made some crucial plays that put us in the lead again. He was very, very good for us last year, but still has areas he'll need to improve that were exposed once coordinators figured out how to scheme him - it's our coaches job to help him get better in those areas so he's not as easy to scheme for.

I didn't see that as the point of the article though. I don't recall us lining Jalen up under center much last year, if at all. This spring we've already seen drills with the QBs taking under center snaps, and the transition isn't insignificant and with the offenses high schools run now, some QBs have never done it before. It forces the QB to be able to make reads in the secondary while taking his drop, and developing his ability to read coverage was already an area Jalen was going to need to progress on.
Everybody, including Coaches and Jalen himself, knows he needs to improve on reads and accuracy. The problem is recognised and that's half the solution. I have confidence that he will improve!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.