As more Americans fail drug tests, employers turn to refugees

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Clicky

He is Talib Alzamel, a 45-year-old Syrian refugee who arrived [in Pennsylvania] last summer with his wife and five children. He can't speak much English, but neither can most of the 40 refugees who work at Sterling Technologies, a plastic molding company based near the shores of Lake Erie. They earn $8-14 an hour.

The refugees at Sterling come from all over the world, from Syria to Sudan, Chad to Bhutan. And they've all passed the company's standard drug test.

"In our lives, we don't have drugs," said Alzamel, who was hired within three months after arriving in Pennsylvania. "We don't even know what they look like or how to use them."

But for an increasing number of American-born workers, passing drug tests is a big problem.

The percentage of American workers testing positive for illegal drugs has climbed steadily over the last three years to its highest level in a decade, according to Quest Diagnostics, which performed more than 10 million employment drug screenings last year. The increase has been fueled in part by rural America's heroin epidemic and the legalization of recreational marijuana in states like Colorado.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
meanwhile our polite neighbors to the North have stated that they will fully legalize recreation marijuana in July of 2018, while we still send billions to very profitable private companies to test and ultimately lock our people up for crimes that a majority of Americans want to see changed. Ain't freedom great?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
meanwhile our polite neighbors to the North have stated that they will fully legalize recreation marijuana in July of 2018, while we still send billions to very profitable private companies to test and ultimately lock our people up for crimes that a majority of Americans want to see changed. Ain't freedom great?
I guess you would like government to prohibit the denial of a job based on a drug test.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I've never touched a drug in my life, but fully believe that weed needs to be legalized and laws created to control it, such as driving under the influence. Colorado and Washington did a crap job at implementation. States like Massachusetts passed legislation to legalize but very smartly have themselves a year to implement, so they could address problems with banking, under the influence laws, etc.

Federal govt needs to do it's part as well.....federally backed banks still can't hold money from the sale of drugs that are not considered legal under federal law.

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy. But I also agree that certain jobs/professions should require drug test. I don't want my airlines getting stoned (pilots or mechanics or atc, etc). No drug use for soldiers. Sorry, that's just life in the service. Same for cops and firefighters. Too much chance that you have to perform at a moment's notice.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I ran a pre-employment screening department for a while. Mostly construction jobs, but some were pretty high tech. The folks that took drugs had a good number of options for beating the test. One employer actually told me that if they were smart enough to beat the test then they were smart enough to work for him. I kid you not.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I ran a pre-employment screening department for a while. Mostly construction jobs, but some were pretty high tech. The folks that took drugs had a good number of options for beating the test. One employer actually told me that if they were smart enough to beat the test then they were smart enough to work for him. I kid you not.

Mel: You mean to tell me that you argued your way from a C+ to an A-?
Cher: Totally based on my powers of persuasion. You proud?
Mel: Honey, I couldn’t be happier than if they were based on real grades.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
It's funny, the difference between the branches. In the army aviation world, you'd be crucified for taking these. On the other hand, they were handing out ambien for the past 15 years like candy so that aviators could pull HUGE 12-16 hour swings in their shift/work schedule.

The idea was, come off mission, need to go back out shorter than the normal rest time. You're still pumped from mission, so dope up, rack out, we'll wake you up in a bit. Seriously.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
How can this be? Didn't Trump say the refugees were bringing in drugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
So if there truly is a majority feeling that way they should convince congress to change the law. Until then...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.