Brexit Day - Article 50 officially invoked by the UK

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Re: Brett Day - Article 50 officially invoked by the UK

That will be interesting. The UK was one of the only EU members not to give up their national currency. Still, all the inter-workings of the banking system (which drives so much of this anyway) will be hard to undo.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

That will be interesting. The UK was one of the only EU members not to give up their national currency. Still, all the inter-workings of the banking system (which drives so much of this anyway) will be hard to undo.
as will supply chains, etc.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

It's going the very interesting seeing if they are able to renegotiate all these trade deals within that two year window - I suspect there will be lots off political 'chicken' being played, seeing who will blink first. The EU is probably better built to withstand a lapse in trade with the UK than vice versa, which would, on paper, give them stronger negotiating leverage. But if both sides refuse to swerve, two years from now things will get VERY interesting...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

It's going the very interesting seeing if they are able to renegotiate all these trade deals within that two year window - I suspect there will be lots off political 'chicken' being played, seeing who will blink first. The EU is probably better built to withstand a lapse in trade with the UK than vice versa, which would, on paper, give them stronger negotiating leverage. But if both sides refuse to swerve, two years from now things will get VERY interesting...
We've rescued the Brits before, I'm sure we'll do it again.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

Could be a marketing opportunity for someone

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Maybe this is why the UK decided to leave the EU. It is run by morons:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-break-up-US-retaliation-Trump-Brexit-support

Say what you will about Trump, and I've said a lot, but this moron takes the cake. Does he not realize the USA is an actual country, and his organization is not?
I think he's taking the "United States" part a bit too literally. But I honestly wouldn't expect someone from Luxembourg to understand anything about the U.S. or the people that make it up. He's mostly qualified to advise us on Luxembourg law.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I think he's taking the "United States" part a bit too literally. But I honestly wouldn't expect someone from Luxembourg to understand anything about the U.S. or the people that make it up. He's mostly qualified to advise us on Luxembourg law.
That's why I call him a moron. He does not know what he does not know, and he is too arrogant to realize otherwise.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

We've rescued the Brits before, I'm sure we'll do it again.
Also don't forget that Britain hosts the world's 5 largest economy (unbelievable for an island that small) and the 2nd largest in all the EU next to Germany. crimsonaudio alluded to chicken being played and I'd say that's right. If the banking sector sacked up and held the line just long enough I'd imagine Britain could squeeze some decent deals out of the negations. From the sounds of it though, quite a few are already looking for higher and ground and the idea of unifying around a singular plan amongst such capitalistic enterprises is likely a pipe dream.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

That's why I call the EU morons. They don't not know what they don't not know, and the EU is too arrogant to realize otherwise.
FIFY.
Still a 75% chance Britain put themselves in a no win situation, but I'd never count them out. While the EU is mostly composed of the same variety of politicians that make up the U.S. congress - that is to say self-serving, short-sighted philistines - the economic benefits of the EU are multitudinous. Britain has always been vastly different culturally to the rest of Europe. Blazing it's own path is nothing new. One can only hope they havent blazed a path off a sheer cliff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.