Another TJ injury

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Love was lost an elbow injury requiring TJ surgery. Now Rukes is out with the same issue. We have another kid who has a sore 'dead' arm and probably next! I hope Byrne does something about the situation. Kids are being told to pitch hurt or else! I guess it is part of Goff's plan to get rid of kids so he can fit the 20 he is signing for next year.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Wylie, we have disagreed on several things so far this year, but I agree with you on this one. Injuries happen, but this is too much. If you start having that many arm problems, someone is doing something wrong whether it be overuse or in the mechanics that are being taught. Either way, top flight pitching prospects are going to take note and start looking elsewhere.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Situation on the team is pretty toxic at this point. Heard players were lived about having to take a bus to South Carolina instead of flying and were even more bent out of shape when they saw Goff's wife get out of a stretch Hummer Limousine in Montgomery at the Auburn game. Appears he is trying to run kids off- and this may all backfire on him in the near future. The relationship between Goff and the players could not be worse from the what I have been told. This is truly a lost season for Bama baseball and the AD or someone is going to have to step in sometime in the near future. It is that bad.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Will add that Goff has also forbid players from having dinner with their parents after games on road trips without a "special" reason and has removed their per diem allowances they have always gotten. Gonna get much worse before it gets better in Tuscaloosa.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
You guys paint a very, very bleak picture. Let us hope that if what you are saying is true, and I am not doubting you, I just am not close to the situation, but if this truly is the situation I hope Byrne is aware of it and that we make a change earlier rather than later. Discipline is one thing, but what you are describing is abuse and not discipline.

rtr

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Will add that Goff has also forbid players from having dinner with their parents after games on road trips without a "special" reason and has removed their per diem allowances they have always gotten. Gonna get much worse before it gets better in Tuscaloosa.
Most players are not on full ride so the per diem really helps them cope with living expenses...this sounds like it is downhill all too quickly...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
You guys paint a very, very bleak picture. Let us hope that if what you are saying is true, and I am not doubting you, I just am not close to the situation, but if this truly is the situation I hope Byrne is aware of it and that we make a change earlier rather than later. Discipline is one thing, but what you are describing is abuse and not discipline.

rtr
It is beyond bleak. The good news is Byrne is a baseball guy and is aware of the issues. Compliance has called him out on more than one occasion for how he is making his numbers work for next year AND to remind him he can cut kids but, they keep their aid. He has to either injure them or make them quit.

There is a lot more I can't go into but, IMO unless something changes, Goff will have us on ESPN for the wrong reasons and this is going to end badly. He'd fit in well at Baylor!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Out of all my years playing and watching sports, I have always felt that baseball had more than their share of petulant egomaniac coaches just a different breed altogether.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Don't post much over here, but I've been following along to many of the posts about Goff.

Talked to someone close to players and their families and received confirmation to what has been posted already.

Sad to hear really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Don't post much over here, but I've been following along to many of the posts about Goff.

Talked to someone close to players and their families and received confirmation to what has been posted already.

Sad to hear really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, unfortunate for the players and their families, not to mention us fans. This begs the question in my mind, how long will he be around? Anyone got an idea? If Byrne is a baseball guy as stated, that could bode well...

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Well, unfortunate for the players amd their familkes, not to mention us fans. This begs the question in my mind, how long will he be around? Anyone got an idea? If Byrne is a baseball guy as stated, that could bode well...
Hearing he has already been talked to regarding his antics/treatment of players. At this point I would not be surprised if he is one and done unless he makes MAJOR changes in his approach. The first test will be his usage of his pen this weekend. Does he continue to overwork guys like Suchey? He has players with dead arms being forced to pitch. He's ruined 2 and a third is likely.

As I told players I know on the team and parents. I am a BAMA fan through and through and hope Goff succeeds. After today, the ball is in his court.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Hearing he has already been talked to regarding his antics/treatment of players. At this point I would not be surprised if he is one and done unless he makes MAJOR changes in his approach. The first test will be his usage of his pen this weekend. Does he continue to overwork guys like Suchey? He has players with dead arms being forced to pitch. He's ruined 2 and a third is likely.

As I told players I know on the team and parents. I am a BAMA fan through and through and hope Goff succeeds. After today, the ball is in his court.
I was scheduled to go to the games this weekend, but can't make it. I have noticed (living 4 1/2 hours away and not being always on top of current info) that Suchey seems to be used almost every game. He is gonna break the all time school record for appearances in 1 season...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Well, unfortunate for the players and their families, not to mention us fans. This begs the question in my mind, how long will he be around? Anyone got an idea? If Byrne is a baseball guy as stated, that could bode well...
Pretend this is in blue font (or not), but has an SEC baseball coach ever been axed with cause a month into the season? First season I'm 99.999% sure it would be unprecedented, but, hey, given Goff's shenanigans, sometimes precedent can be a gilded move...

HolyCow

3rd Team
Mar 27, 2010
Field of Dreams
According to Perfect game, both of them pitched spring, summer and fall. Also, they were recruited by Gaspard et al. Most experts agree that overuse and throwing breaking balls cause the injury. From seeing all the breaking balls thrown this year, most in the dirt. Just my opinion that their arms were already overused when they came here and Goff and company are to blame. I hope Coach Rooney will not offer any pitchers who have been involved in all year travel ball.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
According to Perfect game, both of them pitched spring, summer and fall. Also, they were recruited by Gaspard et al. Most experts agree that overuse and throwing breaking balls cause the injury. From seeing all the breaking balls thrown this year, most in the dirt. Just my opinion that their arms were already overused when they came here and Goff and company are to blame. I hope Coach Rooney will not offer any pitchers who have been involved in all year travel ball.
I also have wondered how much summer ball helps/hurts these kids. Where I have an issue with Goff is how many breaking balls he calls for AND how many pitches these guys throw. He has had some kids throw WAY over 130 pitches is a week over 3 or 4 appearances. That is a lot..... Not many MLB relievers throw that many.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I also have wondered how much summer ball helps/hurts these kids. Where I have an issue with Goff is how many breaking balls he calls for AND how many pitches these guys throw. He has had some kids throw WAY over 130 pitches is a week over 3 or 4 appearances. That is a lot..... Not many MLB relievers throw that many.
Another question is how many and how hard are they throwing bullpens and long tossing. Proper arm care vs building arm strength is a delicate balance. Overuse of the breaking balls is sure path to injury.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
The number of pitches thrown isn't that great of a factor defermining when a pitcher need to come out. Most fans like to get worked up around the 100 mark but in reality if a pitcher is still in proper mechanical form and velocity hasn't dropped much, they are still ok to throw. When velocity or mechanics fall apart, it is time to go to the pen.

I believe it is arizona or arizona st one that routinely throws pitchers 120 or more in a game if they are mechanically sound.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.