Anthony Grant Comes Back to College Coaching - This Time at Alma Mater Dayton

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Indiana hired Archie Miller away from Dayton over the weekend.

Today, Dayton announced they hired Grant.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Today, Dayton announced they hired Grant.
So this is under the rubric of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" for Grant? Which means after he exhausts the other "couldn't beat 'em" mid-majors he rejoins UF, and "helps" 'Bama wash away all the futility he was so helpful establishing while in Tuscaloosa...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't know how he will do. This is a completely different job, different recruiting, different competition level, and one has to assume he learned something from his stay in Tuscaloosa.

I certainly don't wish him ill. I'm a lot less upset with him than I was his predecessor, I'll say that much.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I always felt like some of these coaches have trouble making the leap because of the type of players they are dealing with. If you want to compete in the SEC, you have to be able to deal with elite recruits. This doesn't just mean recruit them though, this means keep them engaged, keep them around, etc... with Grant not only was he not able to recruit all that well, but there was a revolving door where he lost not just bench-warmers, but key players on a consistent basis.

I kind of get it, those kids might not be mature, they might need to be coddled, etc.. but where Calipari is a master at dealing with those guys, Grant seemed rather inept. When you take a step down though, and you are dealing with kids who didn't play in all-star games, who are not stars on the AAU scene, etc... they might be more down to earth and more coachable. For a mid-major, you don't have to have the as high a level of talent but I think you have more of a chance to coach these guys the way you want to and build the team the way you want to.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He will field a decent team each year (the defense will make sure of that). He will have a very good team every 3 years.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Good luck to him. I wish him well.

Grant was not successful here, but he never got us on probation and kept it zipped when around women not named Mrs. Grant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.