Interstate bridge collapses in Atlanta.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Something similar happened in Bham a few years back. A car jumped in front of a tanker truck at the I-59/65 junction causing it to run into the bridge and catch fire. Here again, the extreme heat caused the steel beams to melt and the bridge to collapse.
Iirc, the old bridge section was removed and a new one built and open in a period of 6 weeks.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Something similar happened in Bham a few years back. A car jumped in front of a tanker truck at the I-59/65 junction causing it to run into the bridge and catch fire. Here again, the extreme heat caused the steel beams to melt and the bridge to collapse.
Iirc, the old bridge section was removed and a new one built and open in a period of 6 weeks.
But Jesse Ventura worked with explosives and you didn't and he said.....

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Three months? It would take three years in Houston.
right now, my neighborhood is completely surrounded by roadwork. they started a 1 mile stretch on the main road that is the southern border of the neighborhood about 3 weeks ago and have apparently stopped about half way through. at the same time, they started on the main road on the western edge, same thing. during the middle of this, they started on the road on the eastern edge and it has been effectively a dirt road for a week and a half.

it is a mix of city, county and state projects.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
PVC will burn like nobody's business and it's very hard to put out.

My first thought was that it was probably due to a homeless person building a campfire a little too close to the PVC.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Yikes. I've had to go that way many times for morning meetings in Atlanta. I can only imagine the chaos Atlanta traffic (especially in that area) will be until they get it fixed. Thankfully I'm starting a new job next Monday (the 10th) which means I have no more meetings in Atlanta. Hooray!

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
right now, my neighborhood is completely surrounded by roadwork. they started a 1 mile stretch on the main road that is the southern border of the neighborhood about 3 weeks ago and have apparently stopped about half way through. at the same time, they started on the main road on the western edge, same thing. during the middle of this, they started on the road on the eastern edge and it has been effectively a dirt road for a week and a half.

it is a mix of city, county and state projects.
The Beaumont to LA state line construction on I-10 has been on going since we moved to H'town in 91. I kid you not. I think they've been working on a section in Orange, TX for 12 years now and aren't even close.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i am about 2 miles away on surface streets down by the airport and never have to get on the interstates.
I got you both beat, my commute is a flight of stairs to my basement office. Only way to happily live in Atlanta is to be as close as possible to work

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm out of town, but can't wait to get back and see how thiis is going to jack traffic up in my neck of the woods. I imagine Buford and P'tree and N.Druid are going to be awful

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The Beaumont to LA state line construction on I-10 has been on going since we moved to H'town in 91. I kid you not. I think they've been working on a section in Orange, TX for 12 years now and aren't even close.
We moved to Mississippi in 2002. The construction on 82 between Tuscaloosa and the state line was ongoing. We moved to Prattville in 2007. I believe we discovered it was finally finished a year or two ago.

The issue now is the half-done construction of 82 from Prattville to Tuscaloosa.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I got you both beat, my commute is a flight of stairs to my basement office. Only way to happily live in Atlanta is to be as close as possible to work
we have decided that we cannot really put a price on having our to and from work ride be max 10 minutes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.