Interstate bridge collapses in Atlanta.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i cannot fathom what this is going to do to the northeast corridor and mid-town
ITP 400 will be a breeze for a while with none of the 85/connector traffic feeding in. Will be easy for me to get to Lenox for a while

everything else will be a nightmare

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
i cannot fathom what this is going to do to the northeast corridor and mid-town
I don't drive that stretch, but my issue is I live off N Druid which is already a cut through between Ptree and Buford Hwy for people heading to and from Midtown.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
just based on reports this morning, sounds like surface streets up there are a mess
At this point I'm just glad I decided to take MARTA to the airport. That's going to save me from having an aneurysm trying to get home

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
At this point I'm just glad I decided to take MARTA to the airport. That's going to save me from having an aneurysm trying to get home
I had 4 hours of back to back conference calls yesterday so we left Alpharetta at 11:30 to get to Fl for the weekend rather than wait till after work. I set up my hotspot and let the wife drive while I worked in the passenger seat. Had we waited I think I would have just canceled the trip. Would have been a nightmare to get down here

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
We were discussing this here at work and our best guess is it will be at the very least it will be 6 months before this is fixed. It is currently still unsafe to even inspect at this point. They might have to use drones to inspect, but they will also need to take X-Rays to see how much has been compromised. It could be up a mile and it could have compromised the opposite direction. Now we are a bunch of architects so what do we know.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Heading up to Kennesaw tomorrow. Gonna try to jump it. Excuse me... going to succeed in jumping it.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Florence declined to say how the fire was started. However, he said the suspects used “available materials” at the site.
Cover story for a controlled demolition. #I85Truther

“We are as eager as anybody to find out what caused this,” McMurry said.
Sure you are, buddy. Sure you are.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
“This is a dynamic situation, and we’re learning as much as we can as time unfolds,” Georgia Department of Transportation Commissioner Russell McMurry said during a news conference Friday at the fire site.

Officials suspected the blaze started when PVC products stored under I-85 caught fire.

Still, McMurry didn't attribute the fire to the surplus construction material being stored there.

He said the material was a high-density plastic conduit used for cabling and fiber optic wire networks. He said GDOT was trying to get a fix on exactly how long the material had been there, and suggested it could be as long as 11 years.

But he described it as non-combustible and said it’s not uncommon for states to store materials under bridges.

That material doesn’t ignite on its own, McMurry said.

“It’s no different than having a plastic cup in your cupboard ... needs something to ignite it,” he said.
That's still combustible material.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.