Link: OT- Georgia State facilities

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
In a somewhat related note, Wichita State appears ready to move to the AAC as soon as next season. They currently are in the Missouri Valley Conference.

They currently do not sponsor football. They used to have a team, but dropped the sport in 1986. They lost to Alabama 38-0 in 1979.

If they join the AAC, they would balance out the league as they have Navy as a football-only member. But I would not be surprised if there is a push to revive the program now that they are in an FBS league.

I was going to start a new thread about this, but I really wasn't sure where to put it so I just decided to stick it here. I know not many really care, but I wonder if this will start another round of realignment.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
When Georgia State started playing football about 6 years ago, I actually thought they might be able to get a successful program for a couple of reasons. 1) They're in a major metropolitan area and 2) UGA is the only in-state school, of a state that has a ton of blue-chip prospects, that consistently gets those prospects. Georgia Tech just does not get the top in-state prospects. They never have and probably never will.

The problem is that there is no campus feel at Georgia State. It's a campus that's mixed-in with the rest of downtown Atlanta. The location of Turner Field isn't far from campus but it's also not connected to the campus. Also, the student body isn't your traditional student body. There are alot of older students who are going back to school or who already have families.

The school that I do think has a chance to have success is Kennesaw State in the northwest metro area. They have a large campus with good housing facilities and a more traditional student body. They started playing football about 2 years ago, and I think they have a chance to really build something.
there is a much more coherent campus at georgia state now. in the last few years they have established their presence in downtown atlanta. it still has a large proportion of commuter students, but there are now several dorms/student housing at or near campus. whether or not they have success in football, i don't know. ga tech has a hard time filling grant field/bobby dodd stadium.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Don't know why he hasn't gotten another job, but he isn't mentioned for many - if any - jobs. Doesn't make sense. He could do much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's pretty hard to build a coaching resume when the only D1 job you have ever had actually unceremoniously shuts the program down while you are the head coach...

I'm not sure how good of a coordinator he is or that he wants to go back to doing that even for a bigger program. He would have been better off staying at JSU imo. He made a terrible career move and I guess he feels this is the only way out is to keep coaching and collecting the money. But the few times he was on Jox during the season talking about practicing and playing pretend games was pretty pathetic to listen to and had to be humuliating for him. Why in the world would you want to keep working for someone who would just come in and yank the rug out from under you? The whole thing is just bizarre to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
Actually, GSU is harder to get into than UGA. In the early 90's I took some classes at UGA so I wouldn't have to take them at Clayton State.
UGA doesn't post requirements like GSU does but according to data collected and estimated Statistically speaking UGA has higher requirements meaning you have a much better chance of getting into GSU with lower scores than you do at UGA. Yes I realize it hasn't always been like that, but it is now. With E-classes and the hope scholarship a lot has changed

http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/georgia/georgia-state-university/admission/
http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/georgia/university-of-georgia/admission/

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
There is a sizable number of people in Birmingham who are convinced that for the city to be all it can be, we need to rally around UAB. I get the thinking there but I'm not giving up my allegiance to Bama for another D1/FBS school. Sanford is another story.

The other line of thinking is that since UAB and its research/medical component helped Birmingham transition from a steel town, we somehow owe loyalty to its athletic programs. I reject this proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Pictures on Twitter suggest a decent crowd at Legion Field today - the real test comes this fall.
Exactly..It was pretty much expected for a decent turnout after all the media hoopla UAB has gotten from ABC33/40 & all the other local media hyping up the return of UAB football..I wouldn't be surprised if a good bit of the folks that came out aren't UAB fans & are city officials with their families..And folks they got to come out for the free food & activities they set up for the day to make it look like a grand success..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.