News Article: Texas church bus crash: Driver admitted texting while driving, witness says

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The driver of a pickup truck that crossed the center line and crashed into a church minibus in Texas told a witness that he had been texting while driving.

Jody Kuchler told The Associated Press he was driving behind the truck and had seen it moving erratically prior to the Wednesday collision on a two-lane road about 75 miles west (120 km) of San Antonio, near the town of Concan. Kuchler said the truck had crossed the center line several times while he followed it.

Kuchler said he called the sheriff's offices for both Uvalde and Real counties while he followed the truck and told them "they needed to get him off the road before he hit somebody."

Twelve people died at the scene, authorities said. Another bus passenger died at a San Antonio hospital.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/201:eek:7...itted-texting-while-driving-witness-says.html
I believe it is still legal in Texas to text and drive.:rolleyes:
Play stupid games, kill 13 innocent church people.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I believe it is still legal in Texas to text and drive.:rolleyes:
Play stupid games, kill 13 innocent church people.
It depends where you are here.
Not to make light but do you think a law would have stopped him?

It's awful and should be vehicular manslaughter or whatever the max is.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Yep, it's still legal here. I see people on I-10 every morning with their noses in their phones. Facebook, texting, etc. I actually blow my horn at people when they are driving slower than the rest of traffic because they have their phone in their face. It pi$$es me off.

It's in legislation now. Too bad it was a week too late.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03/15/texting-driving/
I see the same thing here in Alabama. Making it illegal hasn't changed a thing.

tidegrandpa

All-American
There's state warning signs all over Texas about texting and driving. Stevie Wonder could find them. I drive about about 2,000 miles a week in my territory and I always call and remind somebody texting me hell I'm driving and can't or won't text, at 85 mph on I-10, you can't risk it. Particularly a two lane like Hwy 83 was where this happened.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Its difficult to legislate stupidity.
Its like alcohol laws. You can reduce it but never eliminate it.
Yep, all we can hope is that having the law raises awareness. It does seem to be mostly young people but I see plenty of old goats my age doing it. I realize I'm not near as sharp as I was and try to avoid any distractions.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
A lot of people don't realize - or don't care - but, when you're in an accident, if it goes to court, the first thing each side does is subpoena the cell phone records...
As they should. When I worked in Marshall, TX I was almost killed by a young girl driving while texting. While she was texting away she veered into the left lane and forced me into the median almost causing me to lose control of my vehicle. All of this while going 70 mph.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.