Link: How Bama's offense can be both 'ball control' and devastating

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not mentioned in the analysis is Ronnie Clark. Al.com's piece about him returning from injury says he's up to 230 now after the position switch. He can easily be a nice match up for Bama at HB/TE.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I just read the article on Ronnie Clark and from the sounds of it, we'll be using H-Back formation several times through the season. I think that's perfect spot for him. One thing I keep thinking The offense will be very multiple because we can attack opponents several different ways:

I think we have capability to go fast or slow depending on who we play. For example and this is me guessing at this point: The first 6 games that we play this upcoming fall, all of them will try and test Hurts early in the game and see if he has improved or not. How he performs in the first 6 games will determine the game planning for rest of the season for the opponents and how they will prepare for hurts. LSU and Auburn benefits a lot from that and they practically have the whole season of film to prepare better. So If we can get offense going and defense stepping up.. We should be at 20 percent of the playbook by the time we reach LSU game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Clark could end up being like Jalston Fowler within the offense...depends on his blocking on how lethal he could be in short yardage passing plays.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Clark could end up being like Jalston Fowler within the offense...depends on his blocking on how lethal he could be in short yardage passing plays.
Judging by some tape from Calera, I would say he would be able to make plays in the passing game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's really exciting to read how Bama could implement the Patriots two tight end, empty backfield set that gets our best receiver running a option type route (think it was the last diagram). Ridley or Foster in one on one coverage would be awesome. Of course, it's dependent on JH developing some chemistry with these guys and also developing his passing game beyond where it is now. Great possibilities though!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's really exciting to read how Bama could implement the Patriots two tight end, empty backfield set that gets our best receiver running a option type route (think it was the last diagram). Ridley or Foster in one on one coverage would be awesome. Of course, it's dependent on JH developing some chemistry with these guys and also developing his passing game beyond where it is now. Great possibilities though!
Alabama has too much talent to not be great at both passing and running the ball. It should be like letting Chuck Norris fight with both his arms and legs. Highly unfair. Anything less is not maximizing the talent on the team. We should not be one dimensional, especially this season with Hurts now having a full year under his belt. We should be able to do just about anything we want.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Alabama has too much talent to not be great at both passing and running the ball. It should be like letting Chuck Norris fight with both his arms and legs. Highly unfair. Anything less is not maximizing the talent on the team. We should not be one dimensional, especially this season with Hurts now having a full year under his belt. We should be able to do just about anything we want.
Oh, I hope so. The Clemson loss still irks the crap out of me. Bama had the #1 average recruiting class and lost to the #13 class. That was by far the largest margin of defeat as far as recruiting ranking go. When I go back and look at all the BCS and CFP championship games this loss just should not have been. So it would be sooooo karma to literally stomp our way to redemption.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Oh, I hope so. The Clemson loss still irks the crap out of me. Bama had the #1 average recruiting class and lost to the #13 class. That was by far the largest margin of defeat as far as recruiting ranking go. When I go back and look at all the BCS and CFP championship games this loss just should not have been. So it would be sooooo karma to literally stomp our way to redemption.
Watson was just that good. He was almost good enough to beat you in 2015. Sometimes a single player rises up.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Like others have said, Watson was the difference. The QB position just impacts the game way more so than any other position. It's why there is this myth out there that there is some blueprint to beat us. There is no blueprint it's just that elite QB play levels the playing field.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not to turn this into a Dabo thread but I give credit to Dabo and his staff for player development. In both championship games Clemson looked liked they belonged in the same class as Alabama. Somebody's doing some good coaching somewhere at that program. Whether it's Dabo or Dabo putting people around him who are smarter. I don't know. But there is definitely very good player development going on there.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not to turn this into a Dabo thread but I give credit to Dabo and his staff for player development. In both championship games Clemson looked liked they belonged in the same class as Alabama. Somebody's doing some good coaching somewhere at that program. Whether it's Dabo or Dabo putting people around him who are smarter. I don't know. But there is definitely very good player development going on there.
I agree this is not about Dabo, but per your post...Either way...he should get the credit for the player development. He's answered many of his critics regarding his coaching abilities or tactics IMO.

I know that doesn't mean he'll replace CNS one day, but he's doing Bama proud by what he's doing at Clemson right now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He better have good player development because his scholarship numbers are suspect after the last couple of recruiting classes.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

I love it!! RTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.