With baseball subsidies, taxpayers strike out before the first pitch

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
These teams should pay for their own stadiums. It makes absolutely no sense to ask the citizens of a city/state to subsidize the new stadium via taxes then turn around and charge them $75 to get into the game. IMO they've already "bought their ticket". Yet this has seemingly become the norm in professional sports. At least in the NFL it seems.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
So stupid, why do people allow this to happen?
Well in the case of the Barves, Cobb County politicians had the deal set in stone through a series of secret meetings before the voters got wind. They purposely never had quorum in the meetings so it never had to be public. People were ticked because the money had been approved for park land purchases and they used that as a slush fun. The guy leading the deal has been voted out, but the damage had been done at that point.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Well in the case of the Barves, Cobb County politicians had the deal set in stone through a series of secret meetings before the voters got wind. They purposely never had quorum in the meetings so it never had to be public. People were ticked because the money had been approved for park land purchases and they used that as a slush fun. The guy leading the deal has been voted out, but the damage had been done at that point.
That's basically what is happening in Harris County in regards to the Astrodome too. We've already voted to tear it down. They want to refurbish it and do something with it. I get that it's history...but geez, it would cost tens of millions if not hundreds of millions to bring up to code and update. But, politicians and their kickbacks...always wanting more from John Q Taxpayer.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Anybody ever stay in a hotel in Georgia? Then you have helped pay for the new dome that won't be ready on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
As bad as those deals are..............

The PTB, in Pittsburgh, decided they needed a new stadium for the Steelers and PieRats. The voters said "NO!"

The PTB decided to teach them a lesson. Not only did they ignore the "will of the people", they went with TWO stadiums, instead of one common-use stadium. So, the Steelers got one (and somehow got armPITT to play their games there), and the PieRats got one, for themselves.

I've always felt that living in PA was the closest I would want to come to living in a comm'nist country.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.