Observations from the last week

SECis the best

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 17, 2017
First of all, can someone answer a question ? Why in the world would a coach bring in his Friday night guy (pitcher) to pitch in relief in a midweek game. Maybe Sonny Potter and or Zac Rogers are hurt. I don't know. These 2 guys haven't seen the mound in awhile. Poor Garrett Suchey is going to have his arm fall off before the midway point in the season if Goff keeps using him every day and when he dosent pitch he has been getting hot in the pen, so really it is like pitching. On another note. I think Davis Varnier can and will be a very good college pitcher. However, just because he throws hard does NOT make him the closer. From what I have seen so far, I just think the game at this level is just too big for him right now in that situation. Again, I think he can be really good. Just not yet.
One last thing. From what I have read on other posts, It seems to me that Coach Goff is trying to make it ALL about Coach Goff with rules, (per diem, dinner with parents etc) In reality it is about the kids, their teammates, their families and most importantly Their institution. Whatever they do is a direct reflection on the University of Alabama. I guess I would like to see the same from Coach Goff and staff

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Agree about Suchey's usage! Rukes and Love are out with torn UCL's already. Don't need to lose a third to TJ surgery.

Rogers nor Potter are hurt although one of our weekend starters is out this week with an elbow injury.. Saying it is short term but, same thing was initially thought about Rukes and Love. Anytime and elbow is at play you never know.

SECis the best

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 17, 2017
Pretty sure the weekend starter out this week is the guy that pitched in relief during a mid week game......pure foolishness when you got other guys out there that can pitch

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Right now there is nothing good about this team at all. The guys throwing last night do and will continue to throw in SEC games, and they gave up 12 runs to a team that's 15-12. And oh boy, we get to do it again today? The best thing for this team right now would be a rainout.

rtr

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Yep. I do not like to sound so negative about this team, but errors, walks and wild pitches seem to buzz around these guys like hornets. There doesn't seem to be any such thing as someone coming in from the bullpen and just getting people out. Jake Walters is probably asking himself how he got into this situation.

On the hitting side we do seem to have some guys that can hit most of the pitchers we have run into, Friday nights being the exception. But we don't get the big hit when we need it. We don't string together hits and turn them into runs. There have been a couple of recent games where we left guys in scoring position when if they had scored we would have had a lead late in the game. Seems like we have left a lot of guys standing on 3rd base lately.

Here is the way I see this: Goff is going to run off half the team this summer and bring in his own players. That will buy him a little time since he can use the 'I need my own guys' excuse. So lets say he get another year out of it that way. Then he will get a 3rd season to see how things go, and if we are still terrible I think that'll be it. AD Byrne understands what it takes to win in baseball and I don't think he will spin his wheels for long at all, but I think it will be a minimum of 3 years with Coach Goff at the helm unless something really odd happens. I think that this year and the next are Mulligans, as bad as that sounds. Coming on the heels of three seasons too long of Mitch, it looks like a decade of despair for Alabama baseball and it's fans.

rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Here is the way I see this: Goff is going to run off half the team this summer and bring in his own players. That will buy him a little time since he can use the 'I need my own guys' excuse.
I agree Goff is going to do all he can to run off half the team. (He reminds the team frequently he ran off 20 at La Tech and won 42 games the next year) He has to seeing how he has less than 2.0 scholarships being used by seniors or draft eligible underclass men who will likely go to the draft. He has close to 10 promised to the incoming 20 he is signing. His problem will be the fact he can 'cut' a player for performance but, they still keep their money unless they leave school.

I've heard a few are so burnt they might stay and go to school if they were cut vs finding another program.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.