BBC: Miami's fight against rising seas

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
One reason is that water levels here are rising especially quickly. The most frequently-used range of estimates puts the likely range between 15-25cm (6-10in) above 1992 levels by 2030, and 79-155cm (31-61in) by 2100. With tides higher than they have been in decades – and far higher than when this swampy, tropical corner of the US began to be drained and built on a century ago – many of south Florida’s drainage systems and seawalls are no longer enough. That means not only more flooding, but challenges for the infrastructure that residents depend on every day, from septic tanks to wells. “The consequences of sea level rise are going to occur way before the high tide reaches your doorstep,” says William Sweet, an oceanographer at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The flooding would be a challenge for any community, but it poses particular risks here. One recent report estimated that Miami has the most to lose in terms of financial assets of any coastal city in the world, just above Guangzhou, China and New York City.
I've got lots of friends down there - it gets worse daily and the state is way behind on preparing for this.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170403-miamis-fight-against-sea-level-rise

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Maybe the seas aren't rising -- but maybe, just maybe, the ground is sinking ;)
I had a global warming denier in my own family make that argument to me about Miami just a few weeks ago. "the salt water is eroding the limestone and making miami sink, the seas aren't rising"

seriously

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.