Change any minds on Goff? Vacated all wins at Campbell

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/INF_PublicInfractionsDecisionCampbell_20160811.pdf

On the front, not a huge deal except the fact their own compliance team told them to knock it off when it came to transfer players! Goff brought a lot of players to La Tech who were transfers. Reading their message boards there is some concern. He has already been questioned by our compliance folks on more than one occasion.

We have a coach who take away Montavallo who has a 165-221 career record!

Even if Goff had NO clue the kids were ineligible, he is the CEO. He HAS to know! The fact they were banned for post season due to APR should also have been a red flag!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We have a young, respected AD that should be at UA for a long time. Past time for Goff to leave and Byrne find a quality coach to lead the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Not saying that Goff is blameless in this case, but coaches and athletic depts depend greatly on the competency of the registrar staff in matters like this. Unless she was receiving pressure from Goff to certify them any way she could, in this case it sounds like the registrar was fairly incompetent.

Knowing a few people that work in our registrar's office, I can't imagine ours doing this.

That said, my thoughts on Goff are this: I don't know if he's the right answer here or not. He wasn't on any of my lists when we were hiring last year, but what I liked about him was that players improved over the course of their years with him. Which is something that I thought was sorely lacking under the previous staff.

But I do think, unless we are looking at a historically bad season, and I'm talking about something like 5-25 in the SEC, he deserves a second year. Even so, this bad year and "bad blood" that he's accumulated​ over this season probably means that if there's not significant progress shown in year 2, then he won't get a year 3.

I think that a big part of the poor results this year is that there's been a large culture change and the players either haven't adjusted or refuse to adjust and this could be leading to a bit of a breakdown in the teams lack of ability to make the routine play most of the time.

He's also trying to run his system of being aggressive on the bases, which is completely opposite of the former system, with guys who are not suited to play that way. This can lead to a lot of "over aggressiveness" which gets us in trouble.

There's other things too, obviously such as defense at catcher and Rooney's determination in calling a large percentage of breaking balls.

I think most of these are fixable, but will they get fixed in time to save his job, I have no idea.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
The reality is that we are headed for a 5-25 or 6-24 conference record. What then? It is not a question of if-it is a question of when.
Not saying that Goff is blameless in this case, but coaches and athletic depts depend greatly on the competency of the registrar staff in matters like this. Unless she was receiving pressure from Goff to certify them any way she could, in this case it sounds like the registrar was fairly incompetent.

Knowing a few people that work in our registrar's office, I can't imagine ours doing this.

That said, my thoughts on Goff are this: I don't know if he's the right answer here or not. He wasn't on any of my lists when we were hiring last year, but what I liked about him was that players improved over the course of their years with him. Which is something that I thought was sorely lacking under the previous staff.

But I do think, unless we are looking at a historically bad season, and I'm talking about something like 5-25 in the SEC, he deserves a second year. Even so, this bad year and "bad blood" that he's accumulated​ over this season probably means that if there's not significant progress shown in year 2, then he won't get a year 3.

I think that a big part of the poor results this year is that there's been a large culture change and the players either haven't adjusted or refuse to adjust and this could be leading to a bit of a breakdown in the teams lack of ability to make the routine play most of the time.

He's also trying to run his system of being aggressive on the bases, which is completely opposite of the former system, with guys who are not suited to play that way. This can lead to a lot of "over aggressiveness" which gets us in trouble.

There's other things too, obviously such as defense at catcher and Rooney's determination in calling a large percentage of breaking balls.

I think most of these are fixable, but will they get fixed in time to save his job, I have no idea.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
No, it's still a matter of if. We'd have to get swept in nearly every remaining series for that to happen and that's tough to do in the SEC. Now if we go out and get swept today and next week I may revisit that, but in the meantime I'm not going to act like it's a foregone conclusion that the team is just going to roll over and be a floor mat this season.

But if that scenario plays out, then I think we'd be justified in moving in a different direction.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I think that a big part of the poor results this year is that there's been a large culture change and the players either haven't adjusted or refuse to adjust
Yes.

and this could be leading to a bit of a breakdown in the teams lack of ability to make the routine play most of the time.
Or, he has the players so on edge, that they are incapable of making routine plays.

Even if our talent is lacking, I can not see how a player can make the starting line-up, at a major institution, without knowing the fundamentals. Which leads me to believe it is all mental.

That also falls back on Coach Goof. He should either realize they can't do that, and back off. But, no, let's continue to put them in positions to fail, so he can let the players take the blunt of the blame. And use that as pretense to bring in some mercenaries.

(Who, if they are any good, will likely go in the MLB draft. Which means that feeding chain will continue.)

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Yes.

Or, he has the players so on edge, that they are incapable of making routine plays.

Even if our talent is lacking, I can not see how a player can make the starting line-up, at a major institution, without knowing the fundamentals. Which leads me to believe it is all mental.

That also falls back on Coach Goof. He should either realize they can't do that, and back off. But, no, let's continue to put them in positions to fail, so he can let the players take the blunt of the blame. And use that as pretense to bring in some mercenaries.

(Who, if they are any good, will likely go in the MLB draft. Which means that feeding chain will continue.)
In order to have the $$$ promised to the 20 kids he has committed/signed he has to free up 8-10 scholarships! (A couple probably go in the draft so, the number is a moving target to an extent) We have 4 seniors of which only 3 are getting money. Poe is a walk on. The three kids on scholarship (Nick, Mike O and DeVinny split 1.25 scholarships.) At a minimum Goff needs 6.75 and possibly 8.75. Of the underclassmen, maybe Jake, Henry or Avant look at the draft.... Even then, I'd be shocked if they make up more than 2 total scholarships. Therefore, Goof still needs 4.75-6.75 to meet his offers!

Therefore, he needs to run off probably 10-15 kids to get the money to work. He can cut whoever he wants however, taking their $$$ is a different story. He has had more than one discussion with compliance and the AD regarding the $$$ situation. Morale is horrible and he smells it..... In his mind, keep doing what he is doing is his only path forward. Who knows, maybe he does what he did at La Tech and goes from a losing team, running off 20 kids, bringing in a whole new team and wins 42 games.... If he does, takes the team to a super regional, I bet many of us will say good job and be happy.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Who knows, maybe he does what he did at La Tech and goes from a losing team, running off 20 kids, bringing in a whole new team and wins 42 games.... If he does, takes the team to a super regional, I bet many of us will say good job and be happy.
Sure, some will.

Don't count me in that group.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Right now I can not say with any confidence that this team will win 20 games. Only Alcorn and Grambling look like sure things. That is how bad it is.

My problem, my biggest problem, is that none of the young pitchers can get anyone out. I guess Vainer was supposed to be the closer but either he is injured or his confidence is completely shot because he can't get anyone out at all.

I thought that 2012 was bad, but this is BAD, and I for one have no confidence at all that this staff can turn it around in the next couple of years.

Rtr

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Right now I can not say with any confidence that this team will win 20 games. Only Alcorn and Grambling look like sure things. That is how bad it is.

My problem, my biggest problem, is that none of the young pitchers can get anyone out. I guess Vainer was supposed to be the closer but either he is injured or his confidence is completely shot because he can't get anyone out at all.

I thought that 2012 was bad, but this is BAD, and I for one have no confidence at all that this staff can turn it around in the next couple of years.

Rtr
Vainer has an electric arm. He just needs a pitching coach that can get his mechanics straightened out. He can be a weekend starter if he does!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've never really followed Alabama baseball. But my 9 yr old son just started playing baseball and he's wanting to watch everything baseball he can get his little eyes on. He really enjoys watching the college games. So, I've started watching a lot of college baseball lately with him. I've watched Alabama a handful of times they've been on the SEC Network. An over general view is, it's just bad baseball. Several of y'all have mentioned the specifics so no need to repeat what's already been said. But geeze, it's ugly. If the season gets worse and ends that way. My guess is Goff will be expected to have the same type turn around next year as he did in year two at La Tech. If not he's probably gone.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.