Air B&B vs. VRBO

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Mrs. Basket Case and I have used VRBO over the past 5-7 years quite successfully, always internationally. But lately, I'm hearing that property owners are leaving in droves, and that increasing fees from VRBO are jacking prices up.

Does anyone have any thoughts on one vs. the other, as they sit today, especially as regards overseas properties?

If there's an alternative, I'm up for that, too.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've had three different friends get screwed over by AirBnB owners - one double booked the house and when they showed up (in France, no less), simply told them 'sorry'. The other two both had las minute cancellations by the owner.

Fact is, those are the only three people that I know that has used AirBnB, so I'll never use it.

We've used VRBO to rent houses at Rosemary Beach several time, never had an issue.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I've used both several times.

Only had 1 issue on AirBnB when I booked a place last minute in downtown Boston for a conference. The owner tried to bait and switch me for a place miles away from where I wanted to be, claimed that the place rented seconds before I agreed from another site. Sure it did. Got my money back instantly as I said "no worries I'll just call Amex and dispute the transaction" when they tried to pull the "we got your money and can put you in this other great place" game. Outside of that no worries at all with 2 other rentals

No problems with VRBO at all

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We've used VRBO/Homeaway several times. No issues. AirBNB is Uber for houses. VRBO houses tend to go through property mgmt companies from my experience.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Find a place using VRBO and then contact the owners directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I've used both. I've had good experiences. I have an airbnb booked for a couple of months from now for a town outside Zion National Park. I sure hope I don't have an experience like CA described above.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.